Wednesday 28 September 2011

Review: A Dash of Scandal - Amelia Grey

Genre: Historical romance
Pages: 304
To be published: October 1, 2011 (2002)
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Source. For review

When Millicent comes to the aid of her injured aunt, she never imagined her "help" would require her to do all of the legwork her aunt can't do– attend society's most fashionable events in order to help write her aunt's gossip column!
But the devastatingly handsome Chandler Preswick, Earl of Dunraven, is on to her when he sees Millicent writing notes on her dance card. Outraged, he believes she's connected to the mysterious "Mad Ton Thief " and vows to expose her. Millicent must stop him before they are both plunged into scandal. If only he weren't so irresistibly attractive...


My thoughts:
Delightful and charming, those are the words to describe this book. It was just so sweet and wonderful. I had a grin on my face while reading and I just could not read fast enough. At the end I truly feared for them, even though I know that of course there would be a HEA. 

Millicent, our lovely heroine comes to London to help her aunt, who writes a gossip column in secret. But she needs Millie's help and so Millie gets her season but tries to stay under the radar. But what would the book be if she was not spotted by someone. Oh yes one of the most notorious rakes in the city, one that is always in the papers for this and that. But Chandler is never such a rake (ok he is ;), but most of all he is nice and he wants to pursue her. Sure he has women in his past, but the gossip always makes more of a thing that it really is. Still, I truly enjoyed these two together, because Millicent tries to stay away from him, but he keeps showing up, at balls, and in secret. I do love a man who does not give up even though she tells him to. 

I think the only thing I did not like was thesexscene. Sure it was good, but up to that it was just so sweet and I liked it sweet since I went to "oh no! her virtue is gone" mode after that scene. But for the rest of you, yes things will heat up once . These two can't stay away from each other.  And I still really liked it.

As for the story, it was fun, she writes gossip, he is trying to catch a thief and gets the wrong idea. There are misunderstandings and plots, and most of all, two people falling in love. And he does not want a wife, and she does not want a rake. Yes they are perfect for each other in the end. 

Conclusion:
Like I said, it was a delight to read this book. It was sweet and fun and I read it in a heartbeat with a smile on my face. I need to read more by Amelia Grey, she does not disappoint. 

Rating:
I recommend it

Cover.
Cute :D


----------------

Ebook News:

You can get Lord and Lady Spy by Shana Galen this week for only 99 cents


Lord Adrian and Lady Bridget Smythe are the picture of a perfect high society marriage. But little does the ton know—unbeknownst to one another—that they are England’s most preeminent spies, but what are secret agents to do when the war is over? Lord and Lady Smythe find themselves out of work and forced to live as the happily wedded husband and wife all believe them to be. But their new domesticity only highlights the distance between them…

While en route to report to the prime minister for a top secret meeting, Adrian and Bridget cross paths—discovering each other’s true identities… Adrian cannot believe that the feisty woman in the revealing dress is his very own wife.  And Bridget can’t believe that her firm-shouldered opponent with very kissable lips is her very own husband. But before they can investigate further, the prime minister presents their assignment: the one spy who can find a dangerous murderer will be reinstated. The game is on...

28 comments:

  1. This does sound wildly fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wish they would update the covers on these books. They do make the stories seem dated. Laura on Book Chick City was right. I would be more likely to read them if the covers were more modern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "And he does not want a wife, and she does not want a rake. Yes they are perfect for each other"

    Ha! Yes! They do sound like the perfect pair. And I love his manly chest on the book cover. Hard to resist.

    Thanks for the book news. That's a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely review Blodeuedd, but it sounds like I have read this book once. Sounds very very familiair. And I love that cover, such nice colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure you enjoyed the book but...too much saccharine is bad for your teeth...I suppose I would prefer some indefinite integral equation instead. Lovely colours of the cover though...as long as you don't look too closely.

    A spy called lady Bridget...still I am not persuaded. ;) Sounds deceiptivelly like Mr. and Mrs. Smith, a very low-brow movie...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Audra
    it was! :D


    Vivienne
    I love the cover, so I am not complaining. And I do like the new style, cos the 80s and 90s bodyrippers were so meh


    Missie
    Lol, now who can say no to a manly chest like that ;)


    Aurian
    You might have cos it is being published again


    Ana
    Lol, yes I thought it sounded like that too ;)

    And yes, perhaps too sweet for you. Your teeth might fall out. For me, perfect

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me at "Delightful and charming"! Aww... I love that. Even though you weren't thrilled at the sex scene, you still enjoyed the book. That is good enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a huge fan of sweet romance and when it is working I hate that authors have to mess it up with steam (not that I don't like steam from time to time as well.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats a cute cover on the Amelia Grey book. It does sound like something I'd enjoy. I'll have to add it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love historicals!

    This sounds good, and light and fluffy to read, I can use that after my last read! I actually have Amelia Grey on my wishlist for some time know.

    The cover is a bit dated, might scare romance readers off to buy it, but I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. pretty pretty cover! i love it!! i have liked some of her books and i've not liked others, so i'm up in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these kind of historical romance books! I was practically raised on them ;o]

    I giggled so hard at your 'thesexscene'! Too funny!

    You have to love these book covers! That's how bird face er I mean Fabio got started!
    Sure, they're a tad cheezy but it's kind of symbolic of the book and it never lessens what's 'between the covers' HA-Faery Funny!

    :o]

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review - I'm going to be looking for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the purpley-ness of that first cover.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How did I miss this one? It looks very cute! with the Fever series, book 2 is much better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the sound of this one and when you have a smile on your face the entire time that is a very good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Isn't that always the way? The sex ruins all the delicious suspense of a romance!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Melissa
    You know me, sometimes I am such a prude wit HR. It's so weird, but I am just thinking how they are ruined. Sure they say that there too, but I guess they trust the men more than I do ;)


    Dana
    These days there has to be at least on sex scene everywhere :/ Ok so I do not mind really, but it loses some of the sweetness cos I think that they would not act like that. But then I am sure so many are glad cos of the scene ;) And in the end it did not really bothered me. But since I liked the book so much I had to think of at least one negative thing, lol

    Mary
    Add away :D


    Naida
    I hope you read it cos cute!Fun! YAY

    ReplyDelete
  19. Marissa
    I think it suits the book perfectly, all cute and nice. Just like the book.

    I do hope you try a Grey book, the sweet is always there. And on on series it is a bit more passion too


    Carrie
    Hm, it depends. I think this one was more like two other books I read by her. And then the trilogy about the brothers were a bit different from these


    Kristi
    Lol, at least Fabio is not on it o_O Ugh, that would scare me away. And it is not one of those overdone 90s with everything flowing and bleh. it's just cute.

    I am so strange sometimes, dissing sexscenes


    Yvonne
    I hope you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Chris
    Purple is always nice


    Bucky
    I know, so cute :D
    Aha, well good to know, I do want more

    Staci
    You can't smile if the book sucks ;) lol, so that says it all

    Steph
    Yes, well in Hr at least. In all other books they can get it on whenever tehy want to..well not too much

    ReplyDelete
  21. So cute :)

    And I couldn't help but smile at you " "oh no! her virtue is gone" " comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. A Dash of Scandal sounds like a fun read, but The Lord and Lady Spy is the one that's really gotten my attention. I've seen it around a bit but haven't quite wanted to pick it up. But 99 cents? I'm picking it up right now.

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE IT! I always enjoy a good historical romance. It's really funny that you went into protecting her virtue mode after their sex scene! It means you were involved in the story and that's always a good thing:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. You know I'm not much for romance novels but this one actually sounds like one I would like. I'll have to check into it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Veens
    Lol, I am just so weird ;D


    Jennifer
    I am glad I told you about it then :D And 99 cents is such a bargain. Can'tbe mised


    Jenny
    I never thought about it like that! You are so right, is is always with the HR books I love the most I go into virtue protective mode.


    Darlene
    It was so fun and cute, should not be missed

    ReplyDelete
  26. Another nice read sounds like. :) And the HEA is always a pleasure. Thank you for the great review. Sorry thesexscene was only eeee for you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Melissa
    Thy are always eeeh with the books I really. I am just caught up in the sweetness and then passion gets thrown in and I am all what happened

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP