Wednesday 7 September 2011

Review: The King's Courtesan - Judith James

Genre: Historical romance
Pages: Ebook, 394
Published: September 1s, 2011
Publisher: HQN
Source: Netgalley

HER BODY IS A BATTLEGROUND  Sensuous, beautiful and determined, Hope Matthews is a favored mistress of the king. Her many charms have helped her rise from the gutter to the king’s bed. But with the new queen’s impending arrival, her nights in the royal chamber— and her hopes for security—will swiftly come to an end. 
HIS HONOR A DISTANT MEMORY  Haunted by his past, hardened by the recent civil war, Captain Robert Nichols lives only for revenge. When told he must marry the king’s courtesan to provide a cover for their affair, he’s faced with a new low. Both are pawns of a great man, but married to their dreams of independence, their clash is inevitable. Can these two wounded souls realize the answer to all their dreams might lie in each other’s arms. 

My thoughts:
I did not see it being mentioned, but this is a series. I tried to read the book before this one and gave up for the moment because it was so jumpy. Then I moved on to this one and it was so much better. It works well as a stand alone novel but the couple from book 1 is around now and again.

I do not know what it was that made me fall for it; I do think it was the story in itself. The king’s courtesan is married off so that she can come back with a title and pick up her duties again. You just have to like a story like that.

Hope is a commoner who is now the King’s mistress. But he is getting married and she can’t stay. She does care for him and is not happy when she is married to someone she does not know. Ok that is an understatement, she is furious! And I do like her, she has taken what she got and tried to make a future for herself. Mostly she just wants to be her own mistress and not depend on any man. And I do get her fury and everything else she is feeling.

Robert then, well he is about to lose everything so he takes this “deal”. He is honorable and he has his own demons from his past to deal with. He is not happy about the situation but then he does what he has to do. And again I do like his reasons to why.

And of course these two will fall for each other. What else can they do? She is angry, he fancies her, and they are far from everything. So lots of passion promised. But also drama since this is not the best of situations and they have a lot to deal with before they can get that HEA.

Conclusion:
I liked this one and much sure has to do with the premise of the story.

Rating:
Nice

Cover:
Very nice ;)



35 comments:

  1. I remember reading another book from Judith james, loved her writing, loved her capturing of the time period but the romance was so-so for me. This one sound good though *ponders*

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, i want to go get this one right now!! reminds me a little bit of 'for the king's favor' by elizabeth chadwick. thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, as long as there is an HEA, I'm game! Sounds like it would be a difficult road to get there and that makes it interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And of course these two will fall for each other. What else can they do?

    Kill each other? Ignore each other? Divorce? Kill the king and run away? Hmmm...

    I don't know it is really something for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not read this author before, but am not really convinced I should. I already have so many great have-to-read historical romance authors on my shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, of course they fall for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh. Sounds like good one! I adore the cover it just catches the eye. Great review! I'll have to read this sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leontine
    I did try another book by her first but that one just confused me, and then I read this one and fell for it :)


    Carrie
    Aye, though Chadwick was better ;)


    Melissa
    They do have their issues to work out but hey it's a romance, there gotta be some drama

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ana
    Lol, don't be mean now, it'sa romance, they have to fall in lust ;)


    Aurian
    I can't help you since I did try the first book and did not like it, but then I did like this. So this one was good


    Carol
    yes they must :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carole
    I know right, so pretty..well that is not the word, it's just hot :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to hear that sometimes a series can work well as a standalone too! This one sounds like a goodie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad this one worked for you! I'll add it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha! I agree this storyline sounds so interesting. I really want to read this one for sure. Thanks bunches for the awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL - the guy on the cover looks very contemporary to me, with just a few ruffles added to the shirt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you know how long it took me to figure out what HEA stood for?? LOL..sounds like a fun book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh very good review. Glad they get their HEA in the end. And if they didn't work for it it wouldn't be worth it. ;D Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Agh! I can't believe they had to marry just because the king ordered it. But, that drama does sound promising. Glad you liked it better than book one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm such a fan of historical romance. I don't believe I've tried this author yet, but thanks to bloggers like you I am steadily adding new HR authors to my que. Sounds like a riveting story I'll have to check out. I love stories of two people thrown together in bad circumstances and they learn to love it and wouldn't have it any other way. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm not sure I'd like my body described as a battleground; I prefer "wonderland."

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds really good. I haven't read anything by this author, but I've heard good things.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Uh Oh what was the king's reaction...good or bad since Robert is stealing his woman.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love when the premise sets up a really awesome read and doesn't lie! Glad to hear you enjoyed this one - great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I keep seeing Judith James around the blogosphere. I haven't read any of her books. I might have to give her a try.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've seen this around but don't think I've read any reviews before. Sounds good. Hmm thinking about adding this to wishlist...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aurian
    It works very well so just read it like I did :)


    mary
    I hope you like it if you get it


    Alexis
    I truly liked the story. And it was hot too, lol


    Chris
    Lol, *looks closer* That's life


    Staci
    You are not alone ;) There are quite a few things I did not know in the days

    ReplyDelete
  26. Melissa
    True, gotta work to make it worth it and they sure did


    Missie
    You have to do what the king tells you to do. Poor people, and there are a lot of misunderstadnings between them


    jade
    Do give it a go. You can't get enough HR in the end ;)

    Then you will like this one. Cos they do not want it, but must cos of different things and gotta love the drama


    Steph
    Lol, I think I'd prefer that too

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yvonne
    Then you must try her books :)


    jenny
    I shall not spoil it ;)


    Melissa
    It sure gave me what I wanted :D


    Mrs Q
    Try this one ;) SInce this was the one I liked


    Elysium
    Hihi, add away ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm not a big romance reader, but I really like the coves.

    ReplyDelete
  29. hmm not sure if this one's for me but glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ryan
    Men seldom are :)
    '
    Teddyree
    It was a good one, it was what I hoped for

    ReplyDelete
  31. This sounds good, and good to know that it's a stand alone novel.

    ReplyDelete
  32. naida
    That is something I always want to know if something works or not

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have this on my TBR and was planing to start it today, but I'm not sure if I'm in the mood for an historical. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Cat
    better save it then, sometimes you just got to be in the right mood

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh I LOVE the sound of this one! Another fabulous review. :-D I need to place this one on my TBR list right now!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP