Monday 5 September 2011

Review: Lady of the English - Elizabeth Chadwick + guest reviewing

Genre: Historical fiction
Pages: 544
Published: September 1, 2011
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
Source: For review

Royal wives and royal widows, Queen Adeliza and her stepdaughter, Empress Matilda, are the only two women to be titled "Lady of the English," a title that does not come cheap. Adeliza, widowed queen and peacemaker, is married to a warrior who supports Stephen, grandson of the Conqueror. Matilda, daughter of the last king and a fierce fighter, is determined to win her inheritance against all odds and despite all men, including Stephen. Both are women who, in their different ways, will stand and fight for what they know is right. But for Matilda, pride comes before a fall. And for Adeliza, even the deepest love is no proof against fate.

My thoughts:

Chadwick does it again. She brings an era to life and the women that lived then. For a big book this took no time at all to read. The pages just flew by. 

Matilda was married to Henry V, the holy Roman emperor, but he died when she was still young and they did not have any children. So she came back to England and her father Henry I, and that is where this book starts. He had no male heirs, legitimate ones, and he wants his daughter to rule. The times were sure different, she was 26 when she was married to 14 year old Geoffrey of Anjou. Not a marriage she wanted. This book then follows the struggle to get England since her cousin Stephen takes the throne, and she is not a woman that gives up.


 The book is also about Adeliza, the widow of Henry I. She did not seem to be as strong as Matilda but she was strong in another way. Where Matilda was harsh and said what she meant Adeliza took her time. And I liked her story as she was married for a long time but did not get any children even though Henry fathered bastard after bastard. But then when she re-married she got a bunch of kids. 


This is then the book about two women who are both fascinating in their own rights. It was a different time and I did like when Matilda did her best since this was not a woman's world. While with Adeliza we got more about what happened on the home front. 


Conclusion:
Truly another interesting story from Chadwick. She has the magic and can bring history to life. After finishing this one I sit down and wait for her next book. I can't wait to read whatever she writes about next. So this make this book a historical fiction book that I recommend to everyone.

Rating: 
Great

Cover: 
Very nice


----------------------------------------------------

I am over at Vivienne's blog Serendipity reviews today and I am reviewing Just like heaven by Julia Quinn.

Honoria Smythe-Smith, the youngest daughter of the eldest son of the Earl of Winstead, plays the violin in the annual musicale performed by the Smythe-Smith quartet. She's well aware that they are dreadful but she's the sort who figures that nothing good will come of being mortified, so she puts on a good show and laughs about it. Marcus Holroyd is the best friend of Honoria's brother Daniel, who lives in exile. Marcus has promised to watch out for Honoria, but he faces a challenge when she sets off for Cambridge determined to marry by the end of the season. She's got her eye on the only unmarried Bridgerton, who's a bit wet behind the ears. When her advances are spurned, can Marcus swoop in and steal her heart in time for the musicale? 



33 comments:

  1. This is a writer that has become of great interest to me because of you.
    I just ordered the first book by Elizabeth Chadwick. I have no doubt that I will find it fascinating. I'll let you know how I like it :o]

    Thanks for the great review and for getting me interested and away from YA PNR for a bit! I need it bad! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of this genre. This one sounds really good.
    I enjoyed your Julia Quinn book review over at Viv's as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my. I can't imagine being a 26-year old woman married to a 14-year old boy!! Lady of the English sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got a few Chadwick novels in my someday someday TBR -- everyone raves about her so I need to bump her up, clearly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She looks very determined on that cover!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never read anything by this author- but I have recently become a big fan of this genre. This book sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some Chadwick books work for me, some not. These who did work were usually criticized by you so I am really curious about this one. Nice review and I like the cover too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm just reading this and loving it! There's not much written about Adeliza and I'm really liking her.
    I think I like this cover more than the green one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to give Chadwick's work a try. I keep hearing good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristi
    Yay :) The first book she ever wrote or? I did like that one back in the day. Even if I these days like her newer books more. But it is a good book to start with


    Naida
    Good :)
    You really should try this book then


    Diana
    Nope, she was not happy. But then he was older than his years, a count too since his dad left for better things. Still so young. Strange world


    Audra
    Yes you really need to try a book by her one day

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chris
    She sure does :)


    Fairday
    Then you really need to try her books, she is great!


    Ana
    Then I hope this one would work too. I just love the era since yes this century is just my favorite for some reason.


    Elysium
    I had never even head about her before, well I might have but then forgotten since yes nothing is written.
    Yay that you are enjoying it too


    Bermuda
    That gets a yes from me :=)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been so busy lately that I feel like I haven't been to your blog in ages. I have a lot of reading to catch up on here. It's been a while since I last read any historical fiction so I'm not familiar with the authors that are currently popular, but this sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Elizabeth Chadwick! Haven't read this one yet but it's on my list. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simcha
    Well, you know I keep busy ;) I have been trying to read as many books as I can so that I have reviews to fall back on now in Sep and Oct

    You really need to read more his fic, I just love it


    Dana
    Then you must read it :D She is the best

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, this book does sounds very interesting and I do love my historical fiction novels..but 544
    pages? Really? I don't know....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hm... you recommending this one really makes me want to dive in. I think I'll add this one to the wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a great read about a strong wonderful woman. :) Thanks for the great review. She sounds very determined. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so excited now to read my copy for this month!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i can't wait to read the chadwick book! i'm reading it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bringing history to life is exactly what stories should be about. Glad to know that the hardships these women faced were shown in an unrelenting light. Fab review!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This genre consistently entertains and intrigues me - this sounds awesome! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nina
    But the page just flew by, trust me :) it did not see, that long at all


    Melissa
    Yay, her historical fiction books are just great. You really should try them


    Melissa My World
    She sure was, I guess one had to be back then


    Staci
    I hope you enjoy it too :D


    Carrie
    I hope you think it’s awesome too!


    Missie
    Thanks!
    True, and she does it so well. A true master


    Melissa Swim
    I do love it, but then history has always been something I really like to read about

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely review Blodeuedd! If I ever am in the mood again to read this genre, I will sure pick up Elizabeth Chadwick,

    ReplyDelete
  24. Chadwick is an author I would love to try one day. You seem to love her writing so much so I have to try + I love reading about strong women from history so this very book would be intersting to read.

    Thanks for the great review, B :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. She's a great author and she has a certain way with writing historical novels that makes it seem like you are being sucked into the time. She makes you feel like you're a fly in the room. I want to read this! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have never read a Chadwick book but I shall definitely look out for them.

    Thank you so much for reviewing for me yesterday, you were fabulous. I felt like I left my blog in limbo yesterday, so apologies, but a bit of a family dilemma occurred. Thanks for filling in for me.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Aurian
    I hope you do :)


    Mari
    I have loved her books for..oh what can it be, 15 years :D


    Carole
    Yes exactly, she is just that good and cos of that I to tell you to read it


    Vivienne
    I hope you pick one up one day.

    No worries. I did not notice since I was busy, really busy for once since it was teh first day at teh library, my internship thing

    ReplyDelete
  28. I do love historical fiction and this one sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just reading the bare bones of the historical facts is a tangle of queens and kings and marriages. How complicated!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I can't wait to read this one. It sounds great. I will be picking up my copy soon.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Amused
    Then you really must read it

    Steph
    Nah, you get in to it easily

    Mrs Q
    I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm glad you enjoyed the Chadwick! I've got it on my shelf to read soon.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm such a fan of Elizabeth Chadwick and I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of this one. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP