Friday 28 December 2012

Review: The Restorer - Amanda Stevens + The Abandoned


My name is Amelia Gray. I'm a cemetery restorer who sees ghosts. In order to protect myself from the parasitic nature of the dead, I've always held fast to the rules passed down from my father. But now a haunted police detective has entered my world and everything is changing, including the rules that have always kept me safe.It started with the discovery of a young woman's brutalized body in an old Charleston graveyard I've been hired to restore. The clues to the killer--and to his other victims--lie in the headstone symbolism that only I can interpret. Devlin needs my help, but his ghosts shadow his every move, feeding off his warmth, sustaining their presence with his energy. To warn him would be to invite them into my life. I've vowed to keep my distance, but the pull of his magnetism grows ever stronger even as the symbols lead me closer to the killer and to the gossamer veil that separates this world from the next.

My thoughts:
 I really do not understand how I rate. Here I wondered if I should give it a 3 or 4. It was good, a compelling story, chilling feelings, and great writing, still I felt unsure. But the good writing tips it over to a 4 this time. Which is the best you can get.

I do not really know how to classify this one, southern Gothic mystery? With a touch of romance and yes of course paranormal. I like the mix, I like how it stands out.

Amelia can see ghosts, but she must NEVER let the ghosts know. Which gives the whole book an eerie feeling. Ghosts are present a lot, but she can't acknowledge them. That would open the door to unknown dangers. Not to mention that ghosts here are not kind. They suck the life force out from those they haunt. It did make me look over my shoulder. I hope no ghosts are around me, looking over my shoulder.

There is also that hint of romance, just a hint as it can not happen. I shall not say why. But the pull of passion is there and I wonder...

The mystery is good. A body in the cemetery where Amelia is working, dark dealings going on and in comes Devlin, the officer who tries to solve the crime. All while those ghosts are there. And the setting is of course perfect for this.

Conclusion:
A book that made me want more.

Cover: Works

Series: Graveyard Queen #1
Genre: Southern, Gothic Mystery, ghost-story, paranormal suspense, romance ;)
Pages: 376
Published: 2011 by Mira
Source: Own

There are rules for dealing with ghosts. Too bad Ree Hutchins doesn't know them.

When her favorite patient at a private mental hospital passes away, psychology student Ree Hutchins mourns the elderly woman's death. But more unsettling is her growing suspicion that something unnatural is shadowing her.

Amateur ghost hunter Hayden Priest believes Ree is being haunted. Even Amelia Gray, known in Charleston as The Graveyard Queen, senses a gathering darkness. Driven by a force she doesn't understand, Ree is compelled to uncover an old secret and put abandoned souls to rest--before she is locked away forever....

My thoughts:
I remembered I had this book while reading The Restorer so I quickly changed books. But, I did not think the stories went hand in hand. I would have had a story from long before. Than a story about a girl haunted by a ghost and looking into a shady society.

It was still good, as it was. But when I then think about The Restorer I find holes.

So it works better as it is, than as a prequel.

Series: Graveyard Queen 0,5
Pages: 73
Published: 2011 by Mira
Source: Own

48 comments:

  1. I will have to remember these if I ever feel ready for Urban Fantasy again. I just, for whatever reason, am burnt out on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not that UF. No kick-ass chick, wicked hero or anything like that

      Delete
  2. This book sounds quite similar to John Connolly's Charlie Parker series... maybe I ought to look more into this series...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, can't say, I think I have read a novella by him and it was more much more creepy than this

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed this whole series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of the books but would have to be in the right mood to read them. I'm glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to read and I could not put it down. Hopefully I will have more soon

      Delete
  5. I've heard such good things about this series! I think Gothic mystery is probably a pretty apt description for this book:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to read it! :D It felt fresh after every other kick-ass or passionate series I have read

      Delete
  6. Glad you enjoyed. I don't understand my ratings sometimes either... There is starting to come into my factor a memorability and how in the world do you put a number on that?
    Happy reading,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, you just can't. And then if I give a book a 3 people assume it was bad. No, not for me. It means it was good, and 4 is a book that is great. So many things comes into play

      Delete
  7. I said, nooooooo, she abandoned it, lol, then remember the prequel. I really enjoyed both but agree they were not seamless. The Restorer has a great creepy feel, I enjoyed that one more than you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess there could have been something that pushed me more in book 1. But cos of the originality and writing is still gets that 4 :) Which is the best anyone can get from me

      Delete
  8. I haven't read the short story but I LOVE this series, really, it's dark and intriguing. I hope you'll enjoy better the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good :D The novella, well good, but in another way cos I did not feel they were connected

      Delete
  9. a romance that can't happen...i'm so intrigued!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everyone was raving about her books some time ago and I had to buy those but haven't started reading yet. Good to hear you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I only had the one :/ Poor me, but, well I will get the next too now cos I need them :D

      Delete
  11. I am over the moon in love with this series..and so want it to be a tv series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that NBC had bought it and that would be so COOL!

      Delete
  12. Cemetery restorer. Huh. THAT'S an occupation I've not seen in a book before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes I haven't exactly come across it before ;)

      Delete
  13. I've got this on on my library list and it's good to know you liked it, Blodeuedd. Sometimes it's very refreshing to read something so different :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great and fresh. I did not know what to expect and that is always good. I hope you give it a go

      Delete
  14. i bought this one based on a blogger's recommendation and can't wait to read it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really, really want to read this one at some point. Unfortunately, my library AND used bookstore don't have it so it looks like I'll pick up a copy when I get a chance from Amazon. It certainly sounds good but I'm sorry to hear that you had some mixed feelings on it. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, dunno why everyone thinks I had mixed feelings. My mixed feelings was just between good or great. Which meant it was an awesome book in both cases

      Delete
  16. I really want to read this, but I think it might be too scary for me. So, I am still on the fence. Thanks for the review B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was not that scary, so do not worry :)

      Delete
  17. I've been meaning to read these myself.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You HAVE TO read The Kingdom (second book). That book is fantastic and scary as hell. It was one of my favorite reads of this year, I totally recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on is way ;) But I will get it for my bday first, still YAY

      Delete
  19. I'm totally fangirling over this series(as you might have noticed earlier) but I have yet to read the prequel- Not sure if I'm missing out by not reading it?

    Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the next three installments, B. Oh, and Happy Belated Christmas :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D

      You are not missing anything, I felt it was a bit of a plothole. Better to read it and not think of it as a prequel

      Delete
  20. I like me a good ghost story. I remember wanting to read this based on the cover, so I must have seen it before. Thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you read it because it sure was fun to read. Something different from what I usually do

      Delete
  21. The Restorer looks good. When THT read it, I was curious about it, and now everyone else is reading it as well.

    Love your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D I do recommend it. It was a book I just could not put down

      Delete
  22. I have the prequel but have not yet read it. I like book 1 but something bothered me about it and I think it was the lack of answers. I wanted more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In some ways it felt like the prequel gave a few answers, which felt kind of wrong

      Delete
  23. I have the first book and so want to read it. didn't even know that there was a prequel at all!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP