Sunday 9 December 2012

Review: What I need - Theda Black



This novella surprised me. It’s written in first person voice from Jacob’s point of view and in some ways it reminded me of Muscling Through, which I absolutely loved. Jacob isn’t quite up to par with Al, but he does have his own voice.

The focus here isn’t the M/M romance or the sex, it’s Jacob’s characterisation. It’s the moment in his life when something needs to give and change. For too long Jacob has just been ignoring his needs, not just sexual but social. As awkward as interacting with strange people and huge groups is for him, he soldiers on and forces himself to face his fears each and everyday. He just never stopped to think that facing someone isn’t the same thing as opening up to them.

Then he falls for Elijah.

This is where the trope I’m not overly fond of comes in. Elijah is a hooker who works in an alley Jacob walks through on his way home from work. They both know it can’t possibly work, but they throw themselves into the attraction anyway, and figure out a way. Or try to. 

What I absolutely loved was the fact Black doesn’t make it easy for her characters. I was a little worried I wouldn’t be able to suspend my disbelief for the fairytale ending with the magical I love you’s that fix everything in fetishistic M/M erotica. I shouldn’t have been, because there isn’t a fairytale ending with magical I love you’s for these men. There’s something better. It’s raw and real and it’s on both of their terms. 

It feels good to add something on my “recommending” shelf again.

4 stars

Series: N/A
Pages: 66 (Kindle ebook)
Publisher: Self-published
Published: June 20th 2012
Source: Freebie

16 comments:

  1. Nice to see you enjoyed this short story, it sounds interesting to learn more about this character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read another of Theda Black's novellas and enjoyed it. She somehow manages to make me like things that I feel like I shouldn't. The other was a werewolf novella with a rape that tested my limits of suspended disbelief, but overall I liked that book too.

      I'm at the point where I'd rather try to read a full length novel from her though.

      Delete
  2. M/M, fetishistic erotica and still recommending? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't call this fetishistic erotica per say but it's something a huge portion of the M/M romance published today does belong to. It depends on your tolerance level whether you think this is one or not. On off days I include all M/M romances with sex scenes under that header.

      I read this on an even day :P

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear you enjoyed this. Sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I got it when it was free! So I'm not completely impartial, but if you see a good deal on her work you might want to try it.

      Delete
  4. Well I am glad you enjoyed this freebie. I can't say this one is for me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something about Black's writing makes me want to take risks but I understand that not everyone feels the same way.

      Delete
  5. I haven't heard of the other book you mention but maybe I would try to read that one then this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muscling through? I love that novella. It's so brilliant that I don't even mind using the word gorgeous to describe it and I hate the word.

      *crosses fingers* I hope you like them.

      Delete
  6. Not a big fan of the hooker with a heart of gold storyline either, but sometimes it works despite the inherit flaws. Glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks. Apparently she has another novella free on Amazon right now.

    http://www.amazon.com/The-Vampires-Boy-ebook/dp/B005DJA8HI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355254110&sr=8-1&keywords=the+vampire%27s+boy

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP