Monday 3 November 2014

Horns - Joe Hill

Ignatius Perrish spent the night drunk and doing terrible things. He woke up the next morning with one hell of a hangover, a raging headache . . . and a pair of horns growing from his temples.

Once, Ig lived the life of the blessed: born into privilege, the second son of a renowned American musician, and the younger brother of a rising late-night TV star, Ig had security and wealth and a place in his community. Ig had it all, and more - he had the love of Merrin Williams, a love founded on shared daydreams, mutual daring, and unlikely midsummer magic.

Then beautiful, vivacious Merrin was gone - raped and murdered, under inexplicable circumstances - with Ig the only suspect. He was never tried for the crime, but in the court of public opinion, Ig was and always would be guilty.

Now Ig is possessed with a terrible new power - with just a touch he can see peoples' darkest desires - to go with his terrible new look, and he means to use it to find the man who killed Merrin and destroyed his life. Being good and praying for the best got him nowhere. It's time for a little revenge; it's time the devil had his due. 

My thoughts:
This was kind of depressing in a way, not always, just that, that poor poor guy! For  Ig has been shunned, everyone, well almost everyone think he raped and killed his girlfriend. And that his rich family got him free. Just move Ig, move. That town is horrible.

But as this is horror (among other things) then things will get spooky. He gets horns, people start telling him their secrets, desires. And they tell him f:ed up things. Disturbing things, things he sure does not want to hear. Especially not from people he cares about.

Though I must say, it's not straight out scary horror. It's a mix of horror, thriller, paranormal and suspense.

With this new found ability the most obvious route is of course to try to find the real killer. The road there will give flashbacks about their love story, his friends, family and what led up to that dark night.

And it will get freaky too! I will not spoil things, but wtf? Some seriously weird things going on at the end.

Conclusion:
I liked his journey, and story. I never knew where I had everyone, and I so wanted to real killer to pay in the end. And the end, well it was fitting for horror. 

Cover
The movie tie-in one

Paperback: 448 pages
Publisher: Gollancz (23 Oct 2014)
Horror Thriller
For review

40 comments:

  1. I like suspense and thrillers but not horror and paranormal so this probably isn't for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was never SCARY so it might work for you

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard about this one. I do like the name Ignatius. I'm into names today, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yeah! I saw that this is a movie with Daniel Radcliff (H.P.)! Looked pretty interesting ...
    Thanks for the review, B! So, should I do the movie or the book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, I can't say, my brother watched the movie and said it was good

      Delete
  4. I'm super excited to read this before the movie! You have me so curious about the ending now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to watch the movie now when I have read it :)

      Delete
  5. Horrible cover but I have heard good things about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I want to read this. I want this! And there's a movie?! Shit yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lately I've been into thrillers and suspense books. I think this one is perfect for my current reading mood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds a little too creepy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Evil Harry Potter cover is distressing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to read this! I'm not sure if I will read it or watch the movie first. Sounds perfect for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh right there is a movie based coming from this right? this is... different.. i guess

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore SK and I keep wanting to read Joe, but I started NOS4A2 audio last winter and it got too dark for me so I haven't gone back. It sounds like this one does that too. I need to strap on my big girl panties and read it but on a nice sunny week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting, I like that people share secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have not read Horns, but I read Joe Hill's book NOS4R2 and I loved it! Will definitely keep my eye out for sales on this one.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was curious about this book because of the movie, but after your review I'm not sure if it's for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wasn't sure about this one but if you liked it maybe I should try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd not seen this before. I don't know that it would quite be for me--I'm a total wuss lol--but glad it was enjoyable :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh sounds lovely *giggles*!!! I like Joe Hill!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It does sound a little depressing but I'm curious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't usually do horror but I've been curious about this. I think you've convinced me to try.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP