Sunday 23 November 2014

I stand Corrected - Patricia Asedegbega



Author: Patricia Asedegbega
Title: I Stand Corrected (Rosario & Balou)
Genre: Contemporary, Drama, and fiction
Pages: ebook
First Published: August 2014
Where I Got It: My shelf (given to me for an honest and unbiased opinion by the publisher/author)


"Balou is taken away from his mother at a very tender age and sold to a pet shop where he waits impatiently for someone to pay for his freedom and take him home, just when he is about to give up all hope of it ever happening, he meets young and troubled Rosario who is really not looking for a pet. A strange and endearing alliance is forged between them but he soon discovers that something is horribly wrong in her household. Will he be able to save her?"


There is so much more to the story then the summary gives credit for. There is some funny bits, but the story centers around abuse. However, the story is told in two different POVs: Balou the cat and Rosario the rich heiress. I am honestly glad that they made the main character a rich heiress, because it shows that abuse happens to not only the poor, but the rich as well. Yes, the rich have more options getting out, but it still is hard.


I will admit...I did grew frustrated with Rosario, because she would not leave him, even when the secret of the abuse was out and the whole staff found out. I wanted to shake her and then save her from Javier. Goodness, I loathed him. >_____> I wish that Balou did more damage then he did. No...I will not say more. That scene was an amazing scene. Yes, it was bad and a tough scene, but Balou is amazing and I want a cat like him.


Honestly, I loved the fact that Balou got to have his say and his opinions/views were expressed through his side of the story. When I told a friend about this book and how the cat gets his own POV, she laughed and thought it was silly. No. It really worked and I liked it; it added a new view on situations like these. 


There were a couple spots where it was hard to get through, because it is a tough issue, but it is worth the read. The ending is totally worth it! It was a long road, but I finally got what I wanted to happen to happen. I shall say no more...


My only other complaint is that is was a wee bit choppy in some spots. I hated the random time jumps between paragraphs; there was a lack of transitions mainly in Rosario's POV. Other then that, I did like this book a lot. There characters were great, the two POVs were great, and even though the issue the story revolves around is tough, it was a different and good way to talk about the issue. I recommend this to those that need a change up in their readings and/or who want a serious book with a little comic relief (aka the cat who is adorable). I shall stamp this with 4 stars; more like 3.5, but I don't give decimals. 



Favorite Character(s): Balou, Rosario (even though she frustrated me a few times), the staff, and Javier (I hated him, but he was a good baddie).

Not-so Favorite Character(s): Javier (he deserved to be pushed off the cliff) and Javier's mother (that lady....grrrr)


PS - Random last thought that I had as I returned to this review later - I don't quite understand the title. Does it have to do with Rosario's final thoughts at the end? IDK. Any ideas, thoughts? 




16 comments:

  1. I really don't like that cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither do I...but it oddly works for all the chaos going on.

      Delete
  2. I am not big for books with violence in it, but have to agree that sometimes even though it is difficult to read, it has to be there to get the point across of how life is for the character. I recently read a book a terrific story that centers around the story of Thomas Edison... "Inventing Madness" by J.G. Schwartz http://www.inventingmadness.com/, that had the same effect on me, great book, but definitely difficult to read with some of the graphic events that it depicted- Not appropriate for anyone under 18. I do think it would make a fantastic movie! Thanks for your review I will have to check out "I Stand Corrected."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does sound worth the read even with the harder spots to get through

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even if some points bothered you it looks like you had a good time with it. I'm not a fan of the cover but I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Carol :)

    But honestly, is comment nr 2 spam or not?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re comment nr 2: 90% of it sounds definitely spammish. Still kudos for Ashley as she's managed to masquerade it as sth pertinent.

    There are too few good books about the relationship between cats and their owners imvho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ana, honestly I can't tell myself about that comment. Mmmmm.

      But yes, I agree!

      Delete
  7. I love that you get a cats pov and that there is humor. The cover is confusing though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that kitty.

      But yes...the cover and title are confusing to me.

      Delete
  8. Glad you enjoyed it, but no, not a book for me.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP