Wednesday 12 November 2014

Together for Christmas - Carol Rivers

August 1914, London. 
Britain has just declared war on Germany, and the whole country seems to be in uproar. Flora, Hilda and Will, who grew up together in St Boniface orphanage sit in the sunshine in Hyde Park on a rare day off, discussing the impending war and the changes it will bring to their lives. Will means to go off to fight, Hilda hopes to better her current lot in life as a maid at the charitable institute, Hailing House, but Flora is content with her job as assistant to the Isle of Dogs' kindly Doctor Tapper. Taking a vow, they pledge to always be there for each other, come what may. 

It soon becomes clear that the war will not be over by Christmas, as so many thought, and the first zeppelin raids bring casualties flooding into the surgery where Flora works.

Hilda has taken herself away from London to work as a maid at the sumptuous house of Adelphi. But it is not long before she finds herself out of her depth. And the consequences of her choices will lead to a shocking discovery that will change the course of the three orphans lives forever. 

My thoughts:
I finished this one really quickly, it was sweet and even tad suspenseful at the end. Just a tiny bit ;) I just wanted to know what would happen to them all, if they would be ok.

Hilda, Flora and Will are best friends as they grew up at the same orphanage. Flora is the responsible one (I liked her), and she works as a nurse, without the degree. Will wants to join the army as this is 1914. And Flora wants a new position, she wants to become something more than a lowly maid. Will we do not see much of as he is at war and sends letters. Flora is the main character and I wanted the best for her. While Flora, oh she was a silly girl, you know she is gonna get into trouble somehow. We get to follow her road too.

The book takes place during the war, years go by, they grow up, get intro trouble, fall in love and there is happiness at the end. I liked that. Even if I also knew that their children, if they have any, will end up fighting in a war too.

Like I said, the last 200 pages just flew by cos I could not put it down. I needed to know that everyone would ...well survive the war of course! And that someone would at least find some sort of happiness.

Conclusion:
Sweet, without any silly drama. A tale of friendship in the shadow of war.

Paperback, 448 pages
Published October 23rd 2014 by Simon & Schuster Ltd
Historical Fiction
For review

34 comments:

  1. :) I cheated and read this already on Goodreads. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sweet books like that this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yaay, I just received three Christmas books myself days ago and I'm very excited to start them. it's that time of the year again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the Christmas books are breaking out already :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always hesitate to read books set at war time, but I'm glad this one had a happy ending. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know :/ That is why I worried and worried

      Delete
  6. I love when I'm so into a book that the pages just fly by. I really hope everyone survives and finds happiness, and from the sounds of it I won't be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good one and I love a book that just flies by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the sound of this one, and I like the era.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds good. I'm going to add it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love books during this period and this one sounds really well done! First time I hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read another one of her books last year, they are always enjoyable

      Delete
  11. I like books of this era - love that the last 200 pages flew by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bloggers are as bad as retailers with their Xmas stuff; I can't believe how quickly holiday books have taken over the blogosphere! This one's definitely going on my December reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;) I know, I tried to save it as long as I could but it was out in October so yeah had to be read.

      Delete
  13. They all sound like great characters. I would want them to survive and end up happy too.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds interesting, though I'm not sure it would be drama/angsty enough for me, lol. I've developed such a taste for that, that sweet sometimes doesn't quite hook me anymore :( Sigh.

    But I'm happy you had a good time reading it and enjoyed the story. Some happiness is always a good thing, especially in those times when so much pain was going on anyway...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, well that is a bit of angst and drama when it comes to one of the girl, cos of her follow choice. But overall, sweet

      Delete
  15. Sweet. =) Is it the Christmas season already? I'm not ready!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds like a sweet read and something I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely blogspot this is! Thank you so much for including my book TOGETHER FOR CHRISTMAS. The Tweet came from my publisher Simon & Schuster and I was both surprised and delighted to read both awesome blog and comments. You have made my Sunday afternoon. With very best wishes and THANKS to everyone, Carol Riversx

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP