Tuesday 11 November 2014

Snow White Red-Handed - Maia Chance

Miss Ophelia Flax is a Victorian actress who knows all about making quick changes and even quicker exits. But to solve a fairy-tale crime in the haunted Black Forest, she’ll need more than a bit of charm…

1867: After being fired from her latest variety hall engagement, Ophelia acts her way into a lady’s maid position for a crass American millionaire. But when her new job whisks her off to a foreboding castle straight out of a Grimm tale, she begins to wonder if her fast-talking ways might have been too hasty. The vast grounds contain the suspected remains of Snow White’s cottage, along with a disturbing dwarf skeleton. And when her millionaire boss turns up dead—poisoned by an apple—the fantastic setting turns into a once upon a crime scene.

To keep from rising to the top of the suspect list, Ophelia fights through a bramble of elegant lies, sinister folklore, and priceless treasure, with only a dashing but mysterious scholar as her ally. And as the clock ticks towards midnight, she’ll have to break a cunning killer’s spell before her own time runs out…

My thoughts:
I could not figure out who the murderer was in this one..wait, who was it now again? Oh right. See, I am so bad at this, but that is good cos else it would get boring. I need to wonder.

Ophelia and Prue are actresses, and now they are not. Now they are maids and going to Germany. To a castle where in the woods Snow White's cottage has been found. Alas murder! The owner of the castle is killed and Ophelia sets out to solve the murder. Now she is not a stupid girl who just wants to solve a crime. No, she has to. Lives are a stake and fingers are pointing at everyone. Also there is the fact that they both totally lied about being maids. Suspicious. 

I did like the whole Snow white thing the best. There is nothing magical about this mystery. But then the story (if we take a way a few things), is just about a girl with a wicked stepmother who meets dwarves and falls for a prince. In the middle of all of this is the who killed him? There is also the hunt for the truth behind Snow White.

I saw that the next book takes place in France and will have something with Cinderella in it, cool. 

Conclusion:
A cozy mystery with a fairy-tale twist.

cover
cute

Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published November 4th 2014 by Berkley
Fairy Tale Fatal Mystery #1
Historical cozy mystery
Own

37 comments:

  1. Yeah, a mystery isn't nearly as fun if I can figure out who did it right away. There are so many fairy tale related books out there right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting take on the old fairy-tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt real, I mean if the story came from somewhere then yes this was plausible

      Delete
  3. I can usually never guess the killer either

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SOme movies for example are obvious but with books it's harder

      Delete
  4. Would you call this a loose retelling or re-imagining? If so, it actually sounds like a pretty cool one.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's not a re-telling at all. It's about a girl solving a murder. While other people are trying to find a grave cos it's said to contain riches

      Delete
  5. I can never pick the murderer, no good as a cozy mystery reader, however sounds good and I will put it on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh the next one is in France? Fun! It's nice when you don't wonder about the culprit, it's the most important thing I agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup.... ;) cos of Cinderella, well not cos of it, but they found the story there

      Delete
  7. This sounds like fun! I like that you were kept guessing, otherwise it's too easy and hence boring. Definitely want to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A cozy mystery with a fairy tale twist? I might be tempted one day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't read a cozy in a while - this sounds cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. See I am not a fan of fairytale retellings but I like the twist on this one. Great find and thank you for the recommendation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it was not a re-telling. It was Ophelia's story, and in the background about what if Snow was real

      Delete
  11. I like takes on fairytales and this one sounds like something I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though the fairy-tale was never there this was a murder mystery

      Delete
  12. A Fairy Tale Fatal Mystery? LOVE IT!!! What a fun combination of genres, I'll definitely be giving this a try:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay - I have to get this one. How can I pass up a murder mystery with a fairy tale twist?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds really interesting, I love cozies! Found your blog via felicia over at The Geeky Blogger. New bloglovin follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, yay!! A cozy. =) I forgot I had this one in my to-read stack. Off to find it...

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds cute! Ugh, what a week at work - good thing I have tomorrow and Monday off to recover. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh that sounds fun! I love when I cant quite figure it all out :D

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP