Thursday 4 July 2019

Audio: A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers



Narrated by: Rachel Dulude
Series: Wayfarers, Book 2
Length: 11 hrs and 29 mins
Unabridged Audiobook
Release date: 05-21-19
Publisher: HarperAudio
Sci-fi
To review

I did like this one a lot more than book 1, but then I also listened to this, while I read book 1, and what can I say, audiobooks rock.

This was a Dual narrative. First we have Lovelace, yes we did meet her in book 1, but this is a stand alone, and I did also feel that I would not have needed to read book 1. In that one she had to be reset, and now she is in a body instead of a ship (being an AI and all). So she has to try to live as a human, and there is also the possibility of getting caught as it is illegal. And it was so fascinating as this AI is experiencing the world, getting friends and wondering what make her her. We also get different alien cultures thrown in as she lives in a place settled by many. And they are all so fascinating!

Then there is Jane, this was actually the POV I liked the most. She lives in a factory with other Janes. They are clones made for the purpose of sorting through trash. A horrible world and she gets away and works for years to get away. And we know she gets away as she meets Lovelace as Pepper. 

Does a lot happen? No not really. Jane's story is the story of a struggle to survive and grow up.
Lovelace's story is about finding yourself.

It is again a talking book, a character driven book, but it works wonderfully through audio. It is the perfect format.

Narrator
I liked her voice. At first I wondered about one of her alien voices, but it was meant to be that way since they do not really speak, then I realised how great it was. Considering all alien races, humans and AI she does a great job with them all


Lovelace was once merely a ship’s artificial intelligence. When she wakes up in a new body, following a total system shutdown and reboot, she has no memory of what came before. As Lovelace learns to negotiate the universe and discover who she is, she makes friends with Pepper, an excitable engineer, who’s determined to help her learn and grow. 

Together, Pepper and Lovey will discover that no matter how vast space is, two people can fill it together. 

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet introduced listeners to the incredible world of Rosemary Harper, a young woman with a restless soul and secrets to keep. When she joined the crew of the Wayfarer, an intergalactic ship, she got more than she bargained for - and learned to live with, and love, her ragtag collection of crewmates. 

11 comments:

  1. I like AI type stories and this sounds like that and more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe but I'm difficult with sci-fi...

    ReplyDelete
  3. gah I really need to get my hands on these, heard so many good things

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, I think I'd like this one. Love that one is an AI and one a clone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this one more than book 1 too, with it being more character driven. I preferred it over the episodic format of A Long Way.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had such a hard time with A long way, but this one was at once so much better

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP