Friday 19 July 2019

The Book of Essie by Meghan MacLean Weir


Hardcover, 319 pages
Published June 12th 2018 by Knopf Publishing Group
Fiction
Library

This was one of those library books I just went around and picked at random since the library was closing for 2 months. I did not know what to expect, and it didn't even say anything on it.

I did not know what to make of Essie. She was pregnant, she seemed to orchestrate to marry a stranger. She was looking for her sister. She really wanted to talk to this journalist. I kept wondering if she had a hidden agenda. And then boom, the truth, and it is shocking.

Roarke is the other POV. The boy that promises to marry Essie. He is very prejudiced at first, all he know of her is that which he has seen on tv. The perfect Hicks family, with their tv preacher dad. I did like Roarke, he was the one I knew where I had.

Then there is Liberty, my least fav POV. She is a journalist who has been in a cult as a kid. She interviews Essie and gets to know her more.

The book is, not slow, just this perfect thoughtful pace and then the actually revelations is not the boom I said. It is just dropped there and simmers.

It was a really good book, and I did like the whole not as seen on tv. Also the end was so hopeful! U loved that. I really loved that

Esther Ann Hicks--Essie--is the youngest child on Six for Hicks, a reality television phenomenon. She's grown up in the spotlight, both idolized and despised for her family's fire-and-brimstone brand of faith. When Essie's mother, Celia, discovers that Essie is pregnant, she arranges an emergency meeting with the show's producers: Do they sneak Essie out of the country for an abortion? Do they pass the child off as Celia's? Or do they try to arrange a marriage--and a ratings-blockbuster wedding? Meanwhile, Essie is quietly pairing herself up with Roarke Richards, a senior at her school with a secret of his own to protect. As the newly formed couple attempt to sell their fabricated love story to the media--through exclusive interviews with an infamously conservative reporter named Liberty Bell--Essie finds she has questions of her own: What was the real reason for her older sister leaving home? Who can she trust with the truth about her family? And how much is she willing to sacrifice to win her own freedom? 

24 comments:

  1. I've been drawn to that cover so I'm happy to see the book is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man. What would I do if my library shuts down for months at a time? Sigh. Thankfully, I mostly borrow audiobooks. Anyway, I might give this one a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our audiobook selection sucks, since I lsiten in English so draaaama

      Delete
  3. wow this sounds like a real puzzle. Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well seems like a good pick up from the library on your way past it. Closed for two months - ouch for many readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really sad, mostly cos it was summer and I had meant to go with S at least once a week

      Delete
  5. It must be kind of fun to go into a book cold turkey like that! I'm glad it worked out - this sounds really good.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happily surprised. The rest of the library books did not pay off that good

      Delete
  6. The cover is great and this sounds like it would be pretty good. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice that this turned out to be good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it would suck to grow up while your family is on reality TV. Glad to hear it was a good story. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it does not show the actual reality either, s very fake, poor kid

      Delete
  9. This sounds really good, I like it when a book surprises me. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am happy it worked for you so well. Sounds really good especially as I hate reality tv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would hate the end, it was so nice lol

      Delete
  11. A cult kid? She needs therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad that worked out. It sounds very much "ripped from the headlines" from American gossip news.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP