Thursday 25 July 2019

The High Ground by Melinda Snodgrass



Paperback, 421 pages
Published July 5th 2016 by Titan Books
Series: Imperials #1
Sci.fi
Own

It started well enough, though it was so YA. Nothing wrong with that, but I really feel like this should not be marked adult. Nothing makes it so. They act like 14 year olds. We see them at school, soccer game, bullying. Make them 20, make it adult, or make them actually 14. I felt that the book was conflicted.

And then it just got depressing, and I started skimming, I checked book 2 how her life will be and it will suck, and still suck in book 3. Rather depressing.

I guess she could not make it YA, cos they are older in the next one. But an adult book can still be about kids, just make the writing less YA then.

Emperor's daughter Mercedes is the first woman ever admitted to the High Ground, the elite training academy of the Solar League's Star Command, and she must graduate if she is to have any hope of taking the throne. Her classmate Tracy has more modest goals--to rise to the rank of captain, and win fame and honor. But a civil war is coming and the political machinations of those who yearn for power threatens the young cadets. In a time of intrigue and alien invasion, they will be tested as they never thought possible.

18 comments:

  1. YIKES! I think this one would probably be a pass for me. Hugs, RO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes it's complicated to know how to class them when theyr're really young at first

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first, I thought this was the book I was reading (The Afterward) the cover is similar.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't mind YA either, but when the supposedly adult characters act like kids in an adult book...nope, just can't do it.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that they are 18 and still not teens and adults in away, but they acted like 14 year olds. And not like they were in the army

      Delete
  5. I hate it when the characters come of so juvenile. I don't think this would work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not for me. Not now, not ever.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP