Friday 29 November 2019

Audio: The Good Luck Girls by Charlotte Nicole Davis

By: Charlotte Nicole Davis
Narrated by: Jeanette Illidge
Length: 11 hrs and 57 mins
Unabridged Audiobook
Release date: 10-01-19
Language: English
Publisher: Macmillan Audio
Fantasy

Most review seems to be user gentler words, but, no. This is dark world.

This is a shitty world. I do not really learn much about it and I would have liked more. War came. Now there are ghosts and evil men eating ghosts around. There are the rich and those without shadows (why, how?!). And poor people sell their daughters to brothels, there they are marked and used up until thrown out when they are too old. Some parents think they are better off, some just need money. But they are still made into whores.

And one day 5 run away after one of them kills a customer on her first night on the job.
Oh and there are these guys that mentally torture you too cos it is not enough you have to whore, but you are also mentally tortured cos they find it funny.

Yes, I would have liked to learn more about this world. And yes, I did feel they were too lucky. Everyone and their grandma was after them. Their pics were everywhere. They could not even go outside without covering their faces cos they were branded, but still they manage to stay away from the law. A bit too far fetched for me.

They also go all banditas and start to rob people. And sure the people have it coming, but it does change from women escaping to more let's rob people and rich people suck.

The end is actually a semi good one, I was worried when I saw that it is a series. But you can leave them sort of for now, but yes they are not actually safe, just sort of. I like that. Cliffhangers are just so evil.

As for the girls, we are in Aster's head and she is angsty. I wish there was more Clem, cos she does not seem to dwell that much and she should. Violet was mean girl not mean girl at all, and I find myself liking her. Tansy and Mellow are just there.

An interesting start. I do wish more explanations, but more books are to come.

Narration.
A good narration, she made distinct voices of the girls and their voices fit them.

The country of Arketta calls them Good Luck Girls—they know their luck is anything but. Sold to a “welcome house” as children and branded with cursed markings. Trapped in a life they would never have chosen.

When Clementine accidentally murders a man, the girls risk a dangerous escape and harrowing journey to find freedom, justice, and revenge in a country that wants them to have none of those things. Pursued by Arketta’s most vicious and powerful forces, both human and inhuman, their only hope lies in a bedtime story passed from one Good Luck Girl to another, a story that only the youngest or most desperate would ever believe.

It’s going to take more than luck for them all to survive.

19 comments:

  1. *blinks* WHAT? This just sounds so weird. And I'd want to know why, too. But the cover is lovely! Not indicative of the story at all. Wowza!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!? Whyyyy

      I like the cover and I do not like the cover. It does not give the feel. Maybe stick a horse in there and the rest of the girls

      Delete
  2. That sounds confusing and a bit strange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is a dark gritty one and I'm with you on wanting a clearer picture of the worldbuilding from the first book. Poor women, I'd be cheering them on in their bid for freedom, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need my world building, I need things to make sense

      Delete
  4. I think this was one of your longest reviews in a while ;) But I can see why! Seems like there was a lot. I think this woulda been a good one to review together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always admire a narrator that can handle multiple personalities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds completely grim! I think I'd have to hard pass on the story.

    I do like it when a narrator can give distinctive voices to the characters. It makes listening easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, yes the world was dark, but she did not make it grim, but it should have been. They all got off too easy

      Delete
  7. I hope these women win out over all the terrible people! Hope you enjoy the rest of the series! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a copy of this one that I need to review. I do like dark stories so I hope that I have luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds pretty good and it was on my radar! I don't mind a shitty world, but haha, I do want to know more about it too!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP