Wednesday 20 November 2019

Audio: The Unkindest Tide by Seanan McGuire

Narrated by: Robinette Kowal
Series: October Daye, Book 13
Length: 14 hrs and 32 mins
Unabridged Audiobook
Release date: 10-22-19
Language: English
Publisher: Audible Studios
Uran fantasy
To review

My first Toby in audio! And omg, yes it worked great! I did feel like the last book was a filler, but this one was great, was it the audio? Maybe, or maybe because things started to happen again.

The Sea witch are calling all selkies to a final judgement, and in the last book Toby's daughter became one. So stakes are high.

Let's get back to the audio thing. I really enjoyed Robinette's narration. I might not have been the fondest of Tybalt, but then I guess I pictured him in another way (sexier *cough*) and now he was just so old timey, but hey I even grew to like it, because it is Tybalt after all. And the Luideag was very rough sounding, but still she almost brought tears to my eyes at one point. She put in so much emotion. All the feels. And Toby was just right. SO yes, great narration.

Back to the story. The selkies are scared. Duchess Dianda is in trouble when her brother comes sniffing around. Toby is in danger, as always (and omg, poor Toby!). I am disliking her daughter now, I get it, sure be angry, but Gillian is just cruel, so cruel.

A lot is happening and I could not stop listening. I have no idea how many hours I listened to today, it was a lot I tell you. A lot! I will definitely do the next on in audio. Everything is even greater in audio.

Hundreds of years ago, the Selkies made a deal with the sea witch: they would have the sea for as long as she allowed it, and when the time came, she would call in all their debts at once. Many people assumed that day would never come. Those people were wrong.

When the Luidaeg—October "Toby" Daye's oldest and most dangerous ally—tells her the time has come for the Selkies to fulfill their side of the bargain, and that Toby must be a part of the process, Toby can't refuse. Literally. The Selkies aren't the only ones in debt to the Luidaeg, and Toby has to pay what she owes like anyone else. They will travel to the fabled Duchy of Ships and call a convocation of the Selkies, telling them to come and meet the Luidaeg's price...or face the consequences.

Of course, nothing is that simple. When Dianda Lorden's brother appears to arrest Dianda for treason against the Undersea, when a Selkie woman is stripped of her skin and then murdered, when everything is falling apart, that's when Toby will have to answer the real question of the hour.

24 comments:

  1. It looks good Blodeuedd glad it lived up to your expectations

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so need to pick up this series, it has so many things I'd love. But now I kinda want to try it in audio!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read a couple of her books and really liked them. Glad to hear this was good too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh selkies! I still need to her Tobyness...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might have to try this series in audio. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh, I'm so bad! I'm still on book...1 :P

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good fantasy story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A series that is on the list to start at some point. Sounds like going audio with it is a must.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! :D But you might not fall for Tybalt at once, just saying

      Delete
  9. I always mean to start this series but 13 books is intimidating!

    Karen @ For What It's worth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every time I see your reviews I want to try this series, but I keep falling further and further behind. But... audio?! Maybe I'll try the first one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Of all the popular authors out there, Ms. McGuire's library is one I've yet to fully explore. I did just buy her Middlegame, so looking forward to reading that one.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP