Thursday 14 November 2019

Audio: Warrior of the Altaii - Robert Jordan

Narrated by: Michael Kramer
Length: 9 hrs and 28 mins
Unabridged Audiobook
Release date: 10-08-19
Language: English
Publisher: Macmillan Audio
Fantasy
For review

My phone never messes up, but this time, sigh, this audio listen was a mess.

See it started with a torture scene, and I thought, well this is strange, but ok it was Jordan's first book. maybe he meant to throw us in in the middle of things. Throughout I did feel that I had missed something, but it worked.

Then there came a foreword, and chapter 1 forward. And I realised that something had gone horrible wrong. And now I did not do it all over, I already had gotten my impressions. To actually do it from the beginning actually made me think less of the main character! Weird right!

So, maybe I will review the Second Part first:
Second part (my bad!)
This is not WoT level, but I can see how he honed his skill with this one and tried a few things.
I am not sure I like Wolfgar having a little harem or whatever, what is the deal with that?
Jordan has the best battle scenes, wow, I mean the best part of this book were the battle scenes!
This book would have been better as a series, now it worked, but everything happened fast and I was all, but then what? 

First part
Ok, so Wulfghar is an idiot, I am glad I read this last. First he just lets that stuff go, ok so everyone lets that stuff go, but this new slave, who is then free is still beaten for days to get to know the culture or something like that. A beaten slave is someone who might turn on you in the end, and they should all rise up.
Which leads me to, I do not like the Altaii. "Wipe them out, all of them." Yup, that is how I feel about them. These are not good guys.
Also he is a idiot, who mouths off like that? Omg, man, calm down! He is not a leader.

Final thoughts.
I have such mixed feelings, I liked the book so much more when I had not read the first 30% or something.

But it was interesting to try to spot things that would later evolve into WoT.

Narrator.
His female voices, just no, they were not that good. He made them very dark, His male voices were obviously better then.

Draw near and listen, or else time is at an end. The watering holes of the Plain are drying up, the fearsome fanghorn grow more numerous, and bad omens abound. Wulfgar, a leader of the Altaii people, must contend with twin queens, warlords, prophets, and magic in hopes of protecting his people and securing their future. Elspeth, a visitor from another world, holds the answers, but first Wulfgar must learn to ask the right questions.   

But what if the knowledge that saves the Altaii will also destroy them?  

16 comments:

  1. Never tried any of her books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. I've never read this but I like the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to read something from this author. But sorry you had some technical difficulties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really have no idea what happened, so strange. And I should have realised sooner

      Delete
  4. Oof, parts of this sound like a mess, from characters to narration. You don't get too many bad narrators these days, so when their voices aren't up to par, it really sticks out.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would rather have them really feminine, but here, they were just so dark

      Delete
  5. Weird... I find it interesting that you liked the book less after finding out about the first 30%. *shrugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I know, weird, but they were less assholes later

      Delete
  6. Well that's a weird way to get the story! I hate it when an audio book malfunctions. I had that happen to before and had to read the e-copy instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the beginning had not come at all ;)

      Delete
  7. I hate it when I have trouble with audiobooks. Kind of messes things up to hear things out of order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what went wrong, but yeah it sucked

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP