Wednesday 28 July 2010

Review: Nefertiti - Michelle Moran

Genre: Historical fiction
Pages: 528
Published: 2007


Nefertiti and her younger sister, Mutnodjmet, have been raised in a powerful family that has provided wives to the rulers of Egypt for centuries. Ambitious, charismatic, and beautiful, Nefertiti is destined to marry Amunhotep, an unstable young pharaoh. It is hoped that her strong personality will temper the young ruler’s heretical desire to forsake Egypt’s ancient gods.

From the moment of her arrival in Thebes, Nefertiti is beloved by the people but fails to see that powerful priests are plotting against her husband’s rule. The only person brave enough to warn the queen is her younger sister, yet remaining loyal to Nefertiti will force Mutnodjmet into a dangerous political game; one that could cost her everything she holds dear.


I read my first Michelle Moran book last year and enjoyed it, she has this way of bringing history to life. Ever since that I wanted to read her previous novels and now I finally got to read the first one.

This book is about a famous time in the history of Egypt. But it is not told through the eyes of the big players. No the main character here is Mutnodjmet who was the sister to the famous Nefertiti who married Amunhotep who would start a new religion and build a new capital. 

Mut was the younger sister and when Nefertiti got married she came with her. First there are court intrigues with Amunhoteps first wife Kiya, then there is the intrigues surrounding him wanting a new religion and by doing that getting all the money from the Amun priests. Mut watches her sister ensnare the pharao and trying to keep his attention, and giving him the son he needs. But Mut has a mind of her own and there comes a time when she wants to break free from her sisters hold.

I liked how Mut was portrayed. First as a young girl thrown in to the political game, then as a young woman falling in love. Her whole story is not told here, and the book ends before a new rule sets in. So yes, what did I do, of course I googled. By now you can see I am rather obsessed with that. I sat and read about Egyptian history and what happened later to Mut. And even if we can't know everything, Moran has followed what might be true. This is a great historical novel about a woman who stood near the throne at a turbulent time, and who isn't as well known as her famous beautiful sister. But that is what I liked, to get to know a lesser known historical figure who still stood at the centre of things then and afterwards.

Moran truly brings history come to life. I am there in ancient Egypt and everything feels so near. One thing that this book made me want is to read The Heretic Queen, the book that follows Ramsesses II who became Pharaoh near this period of time, a couple of Pharaohs down since much happened in a short period of time. Because she truly is a great historical author and I want more. Not to mention read her new book that is coming out.

If you are interested in Egypt then this is a book for you, or if you are a historical fan, or if you just want a good book.

Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: Love it
Reason for reading: My awesome library loot, missing that city now.
Final thoughts: I do want more.


26 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite books from last year, I just loved it. The Heretic Queen is pretty good too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this on my shelf but haven't had time to read it yet. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you enjoyed this book. I'm looking forward to reading this one with my book club in the next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. B,

    I have all of Ms. Moran's book on my wish list for my daughter. She loves period books and Egypt is one of her favorites. :)

    Great review.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  5. As much as I like historical fiction I have never read her books. I'll put them on my tbr list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna,
    Good to hear, I so want to read more from her. I am always afraid with a new author that another book will not be as good but no worries here

    Mary
    I sure did, I hope you will too when you read it :D

    JoJO
    Nice, I am sure you all will have fun reading this book

    Michelle
    I am sure your daughter would enjoy this book, and the rest she has written

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda
    Oh do, she is really good :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. *waves*

    You know me and historicals. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this book as well as The Heretic Queen! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Chris, come on over, perhaps Mayhem will find a cat buddy in the book. There was a nice one called Bastet

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alym
    Great to hear :D I do wanna read that one too

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it when the characters and the time come to life. I won one of her books and can't wait to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michelle Moran writes great HF - I really enjoyed the Egyptian books - this one and The Heretic Queen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have loved all of her books. She's a fantastic writer. Nefertiti was one of absolute favorites.

    I love how you google everything. It's a great way to learn more. I should do that too. I'm glad you enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Staci
    I hope you like the one you have :D

    Cat
    She sure does, and I can't wait to read more.

    Darlene
    Lol, yes I have sure googled a lot lately, but I just have this thirst for always learning more :=D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you liked this! I've loved all Moran's books so far.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to visit Egypt someday, so I will have to put this book on my TBR list.

    Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I keep looking at the cover and wondering. I might need to add this to my tbr stack. It sounds very interesting.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Elysium,
    Glad to hear since I only have on left to read, well before she comes out with the next one

    DC
    Oh the pyramids! I'd love to visit too one day-

    Wonderbunny
    Lol, listen to what your gut tells you about that cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have this one on my shelf and can't wait to get to it. Great review!
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Naida!
    I am sure you'll like it too

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've heard nothing but good about Moran. Definitely need to check her out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I absolutely loved it and all of Moran's books.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anna
    They are simply wonderful. I must read The Heretic Queen, and now I am really looking forward to her next release

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great review!! I just adore Michelle Moran novels and this one was unputdownable!

    I can't wait to read her future novel on Madame Tussaud!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amy,
    I have sure come to realise that she is amazing, I need the Heretic Queen (xmas coming soon *coughs* sort of ;) And then I do wanna read her next novel in the spring

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP