Friday 16 July 2010

Review: Mine to Possess - Nalini Singh

Psy-changeling, book 4

Genre: Paranormal romance
Pages: 328
Published: 2008

Clay Bennett is a powerful DarkRiver sentinel, but he grew up in the slums with his human mother, never knowing his changeling father. As a young boy without the bonds of Pack, he tried to stifle his animal nature. He failed...and committed the most extreme act of violence, killing a man, and lost his best friend, Talin, in the bloody aftermath. Everything good in him died the day he was told that she, too, was dead.

Talin McKade barely survived a childhood drenched in bloodshed and terror. Now a new nightmare stalks her—-the street children she works to protect are disappearing and turning up dead. Determined to keep them safe, she unlocks the darkest secret in her heart and returns to ask the help of the strongest man she knows...

Clay lost Talin once. He will not let her go again and hungers to possess her with a clawing need born of the leopard within. As they race to save the innocent Clay and Talin must face the violent truths of their past... or lose everything that ever mattered.
.

Go figure when this book turned out to be my fav so far. But like I realised it has to do with this was a changeling-human pairing, and less Psy drama.

Clay was all male, and he was a cat to watch. I liked him, and even with that darkness inside, all he wanted was to protect, so much that he ended up killing someone. What can I say about that, he saved a little girl, but he did go all primal doing that. But the love he felt for Talin all his life, that was something.

Then there was poor broken Talin, she is really screwed up cos of what happened when she was little, and she is afraid of Clay at one level. But she learns to trust him again, but she has this enormous walls built in. This is not an easy pairing cos of their pasts.

I liked how Clay slowly got through her walls and showed her what she was worth. He might just be my fav cat so far. Talin, well like I said, she was broken, but like Clay all she wanted was to protect. In her case, the kids she looks after. And that is what this book is about, kids gone missing, and she asking Clay for help. Insert Psy drama, but it was less, and different in a way, so I didn't mind.

I do enjoy Singh's world, a world where humans, changelings and Psy live side by side. The changelings are all heart and fierce protection. The Psy creep me out, and humans are humans. In this book there was some rat changelings too, and I do wonder if there are all sorts of changelings around, I guess so .

Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: I do like the UK covers better, BUT, I hate that they are all the same, so in that aspect the US ones are better. But meh.
Reason for reading: Borrowed from a friend
Final thoughts: Best so far.


18 comments:

  1. ohhh LOL what I didn't like much about the book was the fact that she was human!!! LOL I think we have the exact opposite reaction =P
    I loved Clay but I didn't like much the helplessness of the heroine. I still liked the book.
    But I have to agree that the 2 psy Sasha and Faith were annoying more than anything in this book lol

    You read the next one yet? I haven't started yet

    ReplyDelete
  2. B,

    Great review. :) I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I'm a little behind in the series - have the latest two on the tbr shelf. :)

    But I will get to them.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are on a Nalini roll!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! So happy this was a fave of yours, Blodeuedd!

    Clay and Talin's past really was tragic but I loved that they had that back history. Its my favorite romance setup. And I'm really happy that Singh stayed true to Talin and took huge risks with her past after Clay. She was pretty messed up and Singh never made it easy. Gawd I love this author.

    Great review! I'm so excited for you to read BRANDED BY FIRE. So GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat
    Lol, then we are the total opposite, I really enjoyed the fact that she was human :O
    Clay was nice, and Talin needed to be helpless in a way, to find her own strength again.

    I am reading the next one at the moment ;) But then I really need a bit of a break before Mercy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle
    Well you are before me anyway ;) I have only book 5 and 6 to read, and then it stops. My friend will buy them later in November, but well, I can wait hehe

    Chris
    It seems that way

    VGF
    And what a backstory! All tragedy and horror. But she sure worked with it, and they both needed time, like you I really did like that she took her time with them.

    Lol, my friend loved it, so hopefully I will too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like my heroes with a dark past. It makes them so much more interesting. Your review makes me want to read this serious (or at least this book)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review...not sure if I'll ever read these but I do enjoy reading your fun thoughts on them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know I have to start this series... first I have to take it off my TBB list though!
    Blodeuedd, you know you rock at reviews honey!!!
    I hope you and boyfriend have a great weekend!! Hugs honey!

    ReplyDelete
  10. DC
    It's nice when they have something to work through, and he sure has that.
    And you could always just read this one, I am sure you would soon catch up.

    Staci
    Lol, that's nice, and there is more to come ;)

    Cecile,
    there is sure plenty of books out there that is gonna fill that TBR pile pretty fast ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a very interesting paranormal romance, I think. Very cool review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another spicy cover! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Irena
    It is a nice series for sure :)

    Anna
    Lol, my blog is filled with men without any shirts on

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've only read the first book in this series despite the fact that I have the next three. I just haven't gotten around to it but after reading your review I will have to get to these very soon. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Alaine
    I sure know about not getting around to the next book, but yes do read the next ;) I am curious to see what you thing

    ReplyDelete
  16. This one sounds much better to me than the other one! Nice review - glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Going to hide under the desk, you know I have all the Singh books, but somehow another book always comes first, yet everytime I read a review for her series I think I really must start this series sigh... Loved your review, going now to bookshelf to find first part in series to read...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dar
    I was sure I would like the previous Better, but there I get instead, one never knows :=)

    Marissa
    Lol, I only read cos I borrowed book 1 to a friend, without having read it first! She loved it, and I just had to start reading

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP