Thursday 29 July 2010

Review: Post Human - David Simpson

Genre: Futuristic, sci-fi
Pages: 188
Published: 2009

The future should have been perfect. Microscopic robots known as nans could repair any damage to your body, keep you young by resetting your cellular ...more The future should have been perfect. Microscopic robots known as nans could repair any damage to your body, keep you young by resetting your cellular clocks, and allow you to download upgrades like intelligence, muscle strength, and eyesight. You were supposed to be able to have anything you wanted with a simple thought, to be able to fly without the aid of a machine, to be able to live forever. But when a small group of five terraformers working on Venus return to Earth, they discover that every other human in the solar system has been gruesomely murdered. Now, James Keats and his four companions must discover what happened to the rest of humanity and fight back if they wish to avoid the same, horrifying fate. Welcome to the post-human era.

Little unsure about one thing, sometimes it had the feel of YA and sometimes not. But YA readers could definitely read this book, and especially boys.

This is the future and everyone is used to having everything served on a silver platter. They are all smart and getting smarter with each upgrade. They can fly (well not really but thanks to technology), wounds are healed, they live and live, and everything is just perfect.

But some resist, a group called the Purists, and they are us, we who live now that is. I got pretty irritated when the group came across purists and went all "gross, they eat things from the ground, and meat, and they operate on people to save them." I felt the post humans were pretty ungrateful, if people in the past hadn't invented things they would not be where they are now. So they annoyed me then. I wanted to shake the person and say, hey, your world is not perfect.

Cos that brings us to the story, a group is away on Venus terraforming and when they get back everyone is dead, yes everyone. Then they have to find who did it and they have to save themselves.

It had this futuristic matrix kind of feel to it. AI, robots and technology for everyone. I did wonder though, if everyone is so smart, then who has the more crappy jobs. I mean everyone on the planet has an IQ of 147 and wouldn't they all want good jobs? Their world seem to perfect but at the same time it was scary. It was too perfect, living forever, being smart, and I will not say what, but obviously it all went to hell.

A sci-fi thriller for those who enjoy these kind of books.

Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: Nah, not for me.
Reason for reading: Got asked  and since the file was in the email I accepted.
Final thoughts: This is gonna sound crazy but the ending was too happy! I would have liked another ending. Now where is this coming from?

You can check out his website here


20 comments:

  1. I'm thinking, would anyone really feel smart if they all had the same high iq? It makes for some interesting speculation, including who does the bad jobs. I have to say though, that I've known of several very smart people who didn't have the best social skills and actually liked manual labor. So I guess you never know. That gets me thinking about people who live in poverty - there are bound to be geniuses with unrealized potential around the world. . . but that's neither here nor there, and I'm going off on a tangent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. B,

    It kinda sounds like those books by Scott Westerfeld. I admit to being intrigued. LOL

    Great review.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alyce
    I thought about that and came to the same conclusion. I guess in this world you have to have great social skills to get ahead, you have to be better and better than all the rest.
    And the real crappy jobs went to robots.
    But yeah sure got me thinking.

    I am sure there are so many smart people out there that may never reach their full potential, sad really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle,
    What should I say, not really, this one was more, more, I can't put my finger on it, but another wibe than Westerfeld. More matrix, except no one is connected and being fed upon by computers

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohmygoodness,I HAVE to read this book. I totally need to read this.
    I'd never heard of it before, but it sounds PERFECT for me.
    Though I don't think I would get annoyed with the future people like you did.
    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm. Doesn't really catch my interest...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey hon... this is not really my normal read... but your reviews, I always read! I love your reviews!
    And I miss you! Hope all is well!!! Hugs to you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey B;

    Nice review. This sounds a little like Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World". Well, maybe a little. It does sound like a book young adult males would enjoy!

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brizmus
    Lol, I just thought they were ungrateful of those that came before. Not all of them were like that though.
    But you sure seemed to go for this so yes go for it :D

    Chris
    No hunky nekkid men on the cover?

    Cecile
    Thanks hon, perhaps not your normal kind of read no, but you know me ;)
    Have a great weekend!

    Lea
    Hm, never heard about that book, I have to do what I always go, to the googlemobile!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I've gotta say I'm Matrix intrigued. Too perfect? Too happy? You wanted to throttle someone?

    But where are the rapid moggies? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sassy
    Nah, it was just so perfect and happy, I could have...oh I can't say it's spoilerish!

    ..*confused* cats?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your nightmare - the 'scary zombie cats' I posted a reply on my blog LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sassy
    It was the moggies that confused me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi everyone,

    I recently read this book, I bought the ebook on his website for only $2.00 and now the author is selling his own book for way cheaper price than Amazon, with personalized message (www.post-humannovel.com)

    I must say I liked the ending but again each of us are different. Overall I like your review, you got right to the point.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like a really good one! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting, but not my kind of book though, good review...thanks for stopping by my blog and have a great weekend.....

    ReplyDelete
  17. this sounds interesting, I love finding good sci-fi.
    your review makes me want to grab a copy, even if the ending was too happy :)
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Yvonne!

    Celticlady
    Thanks for stopping by you too :)

    Naida
    Haha, I love happy endings, and this one was great, but I guess I was in another mood ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm not much of a sci-fi reader at all. Sometimes though my son will read something like this so I would keep him in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Staci,
    Not that girls don't read sci.fi, but yeah he could enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP