Sunday 4 July 2010

Review: Pride and Prejudice - The Graphic Novel

Genre: Historical, romance, classic, Graphic Novel
Pages: 120
Published: 2009

Author: Jane Austen
Adaptation: Nancy Butler & Hugo Petras

Tailored from the adored Jane Austen classic, Marvel Comics is proud to present Pride & Prejudice! Two-time Rita Award-Winner Nancy Butler and fan-favorite Hugo Petras faithfully adapt the whimsical tale of Lizzy Bennet and her loveable-if-eccentric family, as they navigate through tricky British social circles. Will Lizzy's father manage to marry off her five daughters, despite his wife's incessant nagging? And will Lizzy's beautiful sister Jane marry the handsome, wealthy Mr. Bingley, or will his brooding friend Mr. Darcy stand between their happiness?

I do not think I have to go through the story ;)

I like this one, it worked better than Jane Eyre. Why? Perhaps it was a better suited story for a Graphic Novel, perhaps it was because they did not put in every long, long, long 19th century sentence. They used all the important ones but it never felt like too much.

My fav scenes were there, and I enjoyed this Graphic Novel,, and yes it helped cos the pics were so cute and colorful. And he got the era with the clothes and such.

I will not ever love it as much as the movies, but to a beginner to the novel and movies this one could do just that. Make you interested to read the novel and see if anything was missing.
One thing to complain about, silly really, but the teeth looked really weird sometimes, freaky and like the person were angry all the time.

Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: Adorable! Made into a magazine and looking so cute.
Reason for reading: From the library
Final thoughts: A must for Austen fans, will it work for you or not...

Look, Mr Dacy in the corner!

29 comments:

  1. There seem to be a great deal of graphic novels based on classical novels. I'm kind of reluctant to read any of them, but you sure make it sound interesting. Cool review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks very cool, I'm gonna have to add it to my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you're right on why this worked better (ie, being more particular about which long sentences to include, instead of including all of them).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Irena
    I am the same, but I wanted to make an exception since I love PP and any form it's shown in it's fun for me.

    Anna
    Such cute pics, I had to fall for that ;)

    Chris
    Yes, instead they let the pictures say what else that had to be said, and they did it fine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh this one looks nice! I'm not a fan of graphic novels but this adaptation looks interesting. And as you pointed out it's more colorful than Jane Eyre. I need pretty images lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Swoon!

    Well this is a contender for Friday Find...

    Thanks!

    Hope you had a great weekend, Blodeuedd

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patte
    I didn't think I was a fan either, but now, well they are fun to read, I would never of course give up books for them

    Sassy
    Yay, oh I sure hope it makes it :)
    I wish a good week

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to have to read this one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never read any graphic novels, but this looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is this 1-5 all in one book? I have them and read them last year. Loved them and the graphics!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wisteria
    I hope you enjoy it :D

    Yvonne
    It's fun to mix it up once in a while

    Staci
    Yes the whole book, I saw that they had given out parts before. But the graphics were sure lovely

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just finished my first graphic novel (The Impostor's Daughter) and would like to read another. I will have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one sounds good, P&P is one of my favorites. Its interesting to see it in graphic novel form.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. The cover looks different then the inside but I love both styles and I agree Blodeuedd, the color adds more depth for me too then black/white.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You made me laugh with your comment about the teeth! :)
    I'm glad this one worked better for you than the Jane Eyre one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok, the tooth thing would drive me crazy! Other than that though, I think a graphic adaptation of P&P sounds great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like these graphic novels of Jane Austen books. I think they are fab.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great that this one worked better for you..

    These GN are a great way for getting younger kids into the classic...

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always wonder about these classics being made into graphic novels. I'm just not one for graphic novels. I'll stick to my words. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yea what's up with all of the smiling? I love P&P so I will definitely buy this. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Carrie
    Check it out :)=

    DC
    It was a nice one so I am sure you would like it

    Naida
    I sure love everything PP :D

    Leontine
    At the back of the book they had a bunch of other covers, I guess those they had used for the parts, and they were all cute, and perhaps some more to the style

    ReplyDelete
  22. Janna
    I would have been so sad if this one has disappointed me :(
    Lol, you should have seen the teeth sometimes, freaky for sure

    Alyce
    Especially Lizzy seemed upset a lot, cos of those teeth. But still a good once.

    Vivienne
    They are fun to read, and they bring more readers to Austen for sure

    ReplyDelete
  23. EH
    I agree, they are a bit easier than those hard to read books sometimes.

    Darlene
    I always did like pictures ;) But yes I do like words better too

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm glad this one worked out better than Jane Eyre, although I still don't think it's for me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Carol
    How come? is it the whole graphic novel part?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Glad to see you liked it. I had a chance to talk to Nancy Butler at BEA, and she was very nice. I got a copy of the first issue of the Sense and Sensibility comic, and I enjoyed it. I'll wait until their compiled into the graphic novel to finish the series, though.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anna
    Oh you got to meet her! How interesting, and a peak at S&S too, I do have to read that one too, I hope the library gets it...and that the next project is Persuasion

    ReplyDelete
  28. OOH I want this. I like it already!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP