Wednesday 21 July 2010

Review: Starting Over - Sue Moorcroft

Genre: Women's fiction
Pages: 336
Published: 2009 Choc Lit

New home, new friends, new love. Can starting over be that simple? Tess Riddell reckons her beloved Freelander is more reliable than any man - especially her ex-fiance, Olly Gray. She's moving on from her old life and into the perfect cottage in the country. Miles Rattenbury's passions - Old cars and new women! Romance - He's into fun rather than commitment. When Tess crashes the Freelander into his breakdown truck, they find that they're nearly neighbours - yet worlds apart. Despite her overprotective parents and a suddenly attentive Olly, she discovers the joys of village life and even forms an unlikely friendship with Miles. Then, just as their relationship develops into something deeper, an old flame comes looking for him ...Is their love strong enough to overcome the past? Or will it take more than either of them is prepared to give

This was a nice book because it had this sort of honesty about it, and this natural flow of things.

It's about Tess who has been left at the altar; her fiancé broke up with her via email. The horror! What a bastard, she was angry, and she was ill. And now she is finally picking up the pieces of her life and has moved away to a small village somewhere in England. At once she meets Miles, or Ratty as he is called, and dislikes him. But there is something hidden beneath that surface, and he is so sweet to people he like. But it is not as easy, her ex is back (still an ass), but something is building up.

Of all the ways to break up, I disliked her ex Olly at once (email!!). And even more as I got to know Tess, because there are more things hidden, and one thing is for sure. She is so much better off without him. I really liked when Miles came and defended her at once time when Olly was being an ass.

Miles, oh he is a player, he enjoys his women, but there is still this sweet side to him when he is around his friends, and their kids. One has to like him, and he does want her, and as times go by, he understands how much he wants her.

There are no big things happening, there is just life. Tess trying to make a new living, getting new friends, trying to get away from her overprotective parents, and slowly trusting a man again. But like life, there is also hardship. She is still very vulnerable, and it shows.

It's a nice book about life, love and everything else. I know she has to be comfortable to let him in, and I wait for it to happen. They are such good friends, and I am sure they could be happy together. But I am never certain, Moorcroft does keep me on my edge, I do not know how she does it, but she does. She makes me doubt and then she makes me happy. I like that, because even if my soul knows that that HEA is coming, I still want to be surprised.

What I liked about this book was the honesty, the normal people living normal lives, and two people falling in love, slowly but with a certainty. People making mistakes, and in the end, true love. Sometimes you don't need more than that. No big gestures, no crazy anecdotes, just a great couple and their way, to love, or not to love. I can't go and spoil everything now can I.

Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: Nice, sweet, and simple.
Reason for Reading: From the Publisher. Oh and I do love their motto:
Choc Lit: Where heroes are like chocolate- irresistible
Final thoughts: I liked Ratty, Miles that is, and I want those drawings that Tess made.

3

23 comments:

  1. I read this book based on a DA recommendation and had the exact same reaction that you did. I really liked it because it was just about life and a normal relationship, no weird subplots or fireworks. It seems like British authors have such a different perspective, they are willing to take time and let the story and the romance develop organically instead of trying to cram everything into a couple of days or weeks the way American authors do. (Also loved Ratty!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice story! I think I'd like this one. And email? Yes, a definite jerk! Ratty sounds delicious! You gave it such a lovely review. Thanks!

    ~Alyssa
    Teens Read and Write

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great story. I like the title. Don't we all dream of starting over from time to time? I'd love to read this one.

    Diana ♥ Book of Secrets

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a really good read! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breaking up by email remindes of the Sex in The City episode where Burger breaks up with Carrie via a post-it. The rat! So not right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't really read that much about regular people, do we??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a beautiful read. And yes, the only British author I read let things develop over time instead within two days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love an honest story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh, this sounds good. Sounds exactly what i'm looking for right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds a good story! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this one looks really interesting, i hadn't heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  12. JenM
    Yes when looking for the cover I found that DA review. Had not noticed it before.
    So true what you say, I have seen it before with tv and movies. But never came to think that the same goes with books, but it sure does. And I like that, it's real, they take their time. Sure a whirlwind romance is nice but I do want reality too

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alyssa
    I know right, email, tsk, and right before the wedding.
    Ratty was sure sweet, and even sweeter as I got to know him, I do like that

    Diana
    I guess we all do, and Tess sure did it. But then she needed it, and I am glad she did

    Marie
    I am very happy to have read it.

    VFG
    Oh the post-it! I had forgotten about that, yeah email is bad, but the post-it was just plain cruel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chris
    I was very suprsised to find no vamps or werewolves, lol.

    Jenny
    I do like the 2 week thing, but I always roll my eyes afterwards. This one, took it's time and therefore, it was truthful and sweet

    Staci
    I think I am in mood of it after all my vamps and stuff, lol

    Lori
    I see, a bit of a break from your normal reading :)

    Mystica
    Thanks for stopping by :) And it sure was a nice one

    Carrie
    There is somethign about that cover that makes me think I have seen it around

    ReplyDelete
  15. To be dumped at the altar, definitely a girl's worst nightmare. The book sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for such a great review! I'm delighted. I've been in love with Ratty for a long time (although I've been unfaithful to him with Justin from All That Mullarkey ...)

    Love to all,

    Sue Moorcroft

    ReplyDelete
  17. This book sounds terrific! I like that is about normal people -- sounds like everyone could relate to it. I might try to check out this out to read on my beach vacation next week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for such a great review! I'm delighted. I've been in love with Ratty for a long time (although I've been unfaithful to him with Justin from All That Mullarkey ...)

    Love to all,

    Sue Moorcroft

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww - this book sounds cute and simple..I like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Vivenne
    Well she didnät make it to the altar but close enough, such an ass, grr, bad man!

    DC
    Totally, it's just you and me, it's everyday people and it was nice

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sue
    Thank you so much for your comment :D
    Ratty was oh so nice, and I do have All about M, so we'll see, perhaps I will loose my heart again

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mandi
    Sometimes that is just what a girl needs :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like the sound of this one.
    I enjoy books that deal with real life issues and situations.
    Great review!
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP