Friday 21 January 2011

Review: Body Check - Deirdre Martin

New York Blades 1

Genre: Contemporary romance
Pages: 336
Published: 2003

This game's going into overtime.
Janna MacNeil is a publicist on a mission to change the image of the bad boys of hockey: the Stanley Cup Champion New York Blades.

Ty Gallagher is a captain on a mission— to get his team to win the Cup again... at any cost. His determination is legendary, as well as his unwillingness to toe the corporate line.

When the persistent publicist and the stubborn captain butt heads, it's hard enough to crack the ice. But they may end up melting it instead...

Plot:
The New York Blades has been bought by a company that wants a family friendly team, so they hire Janna to work on the players. Both there is conflict at once between her and the captain, Ty. And attraction.

My thoughts:
I seem to be reading a lot of contemporary romance lately, and I do like that. Just normal people falling love and so on. Sweet.

I did like the main characters. Janna was very driven, but at the same time she was very insecure and did not think she could accomplish what she wanted. Ty was stubborn, a leader, and I liked him. He was also afraid. He had been burned, and felt that women stole the determination he needed to win. But there was passion between these two, even if one person was a stubborn ass sometimes ;)

One thing though, there was a certain situation, and I did not think it was dealt with like it should have been. I wanted more. It was a side-story, and now I am really cryptic as always.

Hockey (oh yes I do not watch it, but I like it, we are a hockey-nation), romance, a certain side-story, and some drama at the office. Some just do not play nice.

Recommendation and final thoughts:
If you want a nice romance with sports in it then this might be for you. I enjoyed it, and did read it fast.

Reason for reading:
Oh I blame it all on Patti ;)

Cover:
It's not bad, it's ok, just not me.


PS:
The Winners of The Perfect bride for Mr Darcy
Margay and Alexis

And the books are on their way to you both now :)






33 comments:

  1. That happens to me! I get obsessed with side stories and minor characters too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for putting this book on my radar! I have a *thing* for hockey players - my favorite sports guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a super cute cover!! sounds like a cute book too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds cute (although I really dislike the cover). Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on your meh cover feelings Blodeuedd. The cartoon-esque covers don't do anything for me either.

    I haven't read any hockey books by this author but I have read a few by Rachel Gibson with my favorite being SEE JANE SCORE. And your right, I love reading about two everyday mortals falling in love every once and a while too. :)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks pretty darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Juju
    Here it was more that something happened and I was not happy with the final result...but that good side character will be in book 2 so yay for that at least

    Diana
    Hihi, you do? Well then there are lot of hotties in this series

    Carrie
    Cute, normal hockey, that sums it up :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melissa
    Not a fan, still not hating it just bleh

    VFG
    I had a look at some of the rest, yeah..cartoon-esque for sure.

    I remember Patti mentioning that one..I think. I must go and have a look at it if everyone loves it :D
    *hurries away to GoodR*

    Amused
    It was :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Probably you need to read some m/m hockey romance. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hockey is big in my "neck of the woods" so to speak. I'm going to have to give this title to a cousin of mine. I think she'd love it. It sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter would love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate sport in general and I am not fond of romance. Great review though - I love it the most! The cover is trite.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not much of a hockey fan, but the book does sound cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chris
    ...*thinks about that*...I actually like that idea, yup two big hunky men, some hockey ;)

    Melissa
    I am sure she would like it then, and they are chasing the Stanley Cup in it too so yay sports, lol

    Nise
    I am glad to hear that :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, thanks to Patti, I have this one on my 'to buy soon' list. It's nice to see you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ana
    Lol, I know you do, no fluff, but no sports either, oh how am I gonna get you do read a book I have read *sits down to think*

    Bermuda
    Luckily you do not need to know much either, one can just focus on the love :)

    Julie
    Lol, oh Patti and her hockey fascination, she so made me wanna try them out

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm curious about the one-side story -- was this a subplot?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey honey! Just popping in to say I hope you have a great weekend honey! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I remember reading Patti's thoughts about this book and now yours B! It does sound like a cute read. :-)

    I know, the cover isn't exactly smokin is it? lol

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I live in a hocky nation too :) I do remember reading another book in this series by the author (it was a while back) but this one sounds just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay!! I'm so glad you liked it! I do recall that situation and it frustrated me too; I did like the 2nd book though.

    (Hey Chris - I'm reading a m/m hockey story now,lol)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, yeah, the covers are not my favorite; I hate those cartoony covers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. doesnt look like something I'd like to read =/ Nice review though!

    ReplyDelete
  24. DC
    Well, yes it was a subplot, it involved one of her friends, but it affected the main relationship

    Cecile
    *tackles and hugs*
    :D

    Lea
    No, that is sure is not, but the one coming in Feb is smokin' yet really cute, loving that one

    Jenny
    I hope you enjoyed that one :) I will read more by her, her latest and book 2

    ReplyDelete
  25. Naida
    It was :)

    Patti
    At least the latest cover is really good, I do like that one :)
    The situation, I just wanted..well some more ass-kicking

    Larissa
    Too bad, but that is the life of a booklover :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds like a fun book. It reminds me of a book that I once read by Susan Elizabeth Phillips, though there it was a football team.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Simcha
    Football you say, I must go and have a look. Dunno why, but I really wanna read a romance with baseball, lol

    ReplyDelete
  28. Like the new streamlined look!! Sounds like a cute read!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This book sounded ok in your review but it's not my genre. I'm an urban fantasy kind of girl :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks Staci :) I sure like my new look

    Cherry
    Awww UF, I do love that genre too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'll have to recommend this to my sister. She loves romances and hockey, so it sounds right up her alley.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Diary
    Then it sure sounds like something she really would enjoy :D

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP