Sunday 9 January 2011

Reviews: Mistborn 2, 3 - Brandon Sanderson

Mistborn 2

Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 796
Published: 2008

The impossible has been accomplished. The Lord Ruler Рthe man who claimed to be god incarnate and brutally ruled the world for a thousand years Рhas been vanquished. But Kelsier, the hero who masterminded that triumph, is dead too, and now the awesome task of building a new world has been left to his young prot̩g̩, Vin, the former street urchin who is now the most powerful Mistborn in the land, and to the idealistic young nobleman she loves.

As Kelsier’s protégé and slayer of the Lord Ruler she is now venerated by a budding new religion, a distinction that makes her intensely uncomfortable. Even more worrying, the mists have begun behaving strangely since the Lord Ruler died, and seem to harbor a strange vaporous entity that haunts her.

 Stopping assassins may keep Vin’s Mistborn skills sharp, but it’s the least of her problems. Luthadel, the largest city of the former empire, doesn’t run itself, and Vin and the other members of Kelsier’s crew, who lead the revolution, must learn a whole new set of practical and political skills to help. It certainly won’t get easier with three armies – one of them composed of ferocious giants – now vying to conquer the city, and no sign of the Lord Ruler’s hidden cache of atium, the rarest and most powerful allomantic metal.

As the siege of Luthadel tightens, an ancient legend seems to offer a glimmer of hope. But even if it really exists, no one knows where to find the Well of Ascension or what manner of power it bestows.

My thoughts:
After a blurb like that, I am so not gonna write a plot summary. First, I finished book 1 many many months ago so it took some time to get into this book, even with the summary. And I really should have finished the review when I read this one.

Book 1 ended with, well an ending, and this book picks 1 or 2 years later. Elend is trying to build a government, Vin keeps saying no to his proposals, and armies are coming to destroy them.

I like Elend, he will rather sit and read a book than do anything else, my kind of guy. Vin, she is harder to get and I am not sure that I even like her, or see the passion between these two.

Still the world is very cool, ash falling, mists killing, and strange powers that you get from swallowing and burning metals. He did really well there with his creation.

Since I can't remember how I exactly felt about book 1, then I can't say if I liked this one better or not, but I think I did not, because not much happen here. They mostly think about things and tries to make the world better.


Mistborn 3
Pages: 748
Published: 2009

Who is the Hero of Ages?
To end the Final Empire & restore freedom, Vin killed the Lord Ruler. As a result, the Deepness--the lethal form of the ubiquitous mists--is back, along with increasingly heavy ashfalls & more powerful earthquakes. Humanity appears doomed. Having escaped death at the climax of The Well of Ascension only by becoming a Mistborn himself, Emperor Elend Venture hopes to find clues left behind by the Lord Ruler that will allow him to save the world. Vin is consumed with guilt at having been tricked into releasing the mystic force known as Ruin from the Well. Ruin wants to end the world. Its near omniscience & ability to warp reality make stopping it seem impossible. She can’t even discuss it with Elend lest Ruin learn their plans!

Mistborn trilogy's conclusion fulfills the 1st two books' promise. Revelations abound, connections rooted in early chapters click into place, & surprises, as satisfying as they are stunning, blossom like fireworks to dazzle & delight. All leads to a finale unmatched for audacious originality that will leave readers rubbing their eyes in wonder, as if awaking from a dream.

My thoughts:
I actually liked this one best of all the three books (I think), but I still gave it the worst grade since I hated the end. I closed the book, thoughts wtf!? and regretted having read the series at all. It really clouded my thoughts and I can only think about how I wish I had not read the books.

Anyway, they (that is Vin) fucked up and released a God that wants to destroy a world. The ash is falling faster, the Kolloss wants to kill everyone, Mists are killing and everything is coming to an end.

Vin is doing what she always do, working her magic and jumping around (still not like her), Elend who is a Mistborn now too is trying to save the few he can (him I like even more).

This book has more action and a lots of no way! moments. Pieces are falling together and a lot of secrets are being told. About the world Lord Ruler created 1000 years ago, and the two Gods that created it all. Those aspects I really enjoyed, so well done.

Then came the end, first wtf!? and then, way too sweet how everything falls into place (which was not what bothered me, but hey still very sweet). Can't tell you the WTF, will spoil things.

So should you read the books....perhaps, but I do warn you, you might get the same wtf! moment I did and regret having read them at all. Arghhhh I hate endings like that!!!

I am just hoping I will not feel this miserable after finishing WOT, I am so scared now, and will blame Sanderson, even if it was Jordan that said it should be so.




27 comments:

  1. awww...too bad about the wtf moments. If an ending is not good, it will mess up the read for me as well.

    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you didn't love it. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad about the wtf moments. I hate when that happens. I have The Way of Kings to read by him one of these days. I hope it'll be good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wtf moments can def be a killer =/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate it when a promising series ends in a stupid, senseless way - sorry for your bad experience but what can we do, wtf moments sometimes happen. Thanks for your honest and interesting review though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! You find such interesting fantasy books to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Naida
    It was, oh sigh, makes me mad still, I absolutely hated it.

    juju
    Sure made me sad, cos the book was good, but the end ruined it for me

    Darlene
    I have not heard much about that one, so will be interesting to see what you think :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Larissa
    They sure can, killed this book for me

    Ana
    Sigh, that's life :( I just wished it could have ended differently. And it got way to religious and preachy too

    Yvonne
    Well thank you :) I try my best ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too bad it ended badly! Haven't tried Sanderson's books but I'm curious since he's writing WoT books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the first Mistborn book but had a hard time getting into the second one. The romance between Vin and Elend wasn't very convincing and my favorite character from Book 1 was no longer around. So I actually never got past the first few pages but I've been thinking of giving it another go because I heard that Book 3 is really good, though your comments about the ending have me a little worried. I usually love Sanderson's endings, the way he just pulls out the rug from under your feet and disproves everything that you were so sure about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, no! I've heard great things about this series, but how sad you disliked the ending. I'll try a different series for my epic fantasy fix :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elysium
    That is why I read them. I wanted to see how he wrote outside the WOT books. Sadly with that ending, yeah, do not wanna read more by him

    Simcha
    That I do know, I never got Vin and Elend, ok maybe I saw a bit why he liked her, but that was it. He didn't really convince me there.
    Book 3 was the best..even if I now hate it. Things fell into place and I was left with a wow in places. But the end, oh I am sure you would like it but I just mad

    Aarti
    Perhaps you would like it, it is just not my kind of ending. I so hate endings like that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This doesn't sound like one for me..but I did love WOT and think I stopped at book 8 or 9!

    ReplyDelete
  14. After the wtf... you should have inserted a *evil laugh* after you told us you couldn't tell us... or something like that. ;) Thanks for the honest albeit mysterious review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. YAY! I'm glad you did a review on this series, of sorts. I have this listed on my tbr, and am going to file this one in my brain to come back to.

    Even though, it still sounds interesting enough to read. That and the covers are kewl. XD *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Darn, I have these books in my TBR pile... oh well, they have to go to the back then... thanks for sharing your opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Staci
    Do continue with WOT, I love that series, but I do fear for the end

    Melissa
    Mouwahahahaha ;) I am a wicked woman. Some things are not to be told

    ReplyDelete
  18. Redd
    You know most would surely be find with the end, just not me, so I hope you read this series one day :)

    Cherry
    Some books just do not suit my taste, it was a great series. It just left me with a bitter aftertaste

    ReplyDelete
  19. Overall, I enjoyed the series, but felt the 2nd and 3rd books really suffered for the absence of Kelsier - he was, by far, my favourite character.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Inked
    :( I know

    Sally
    I can't remember how I felt about Kelsier, such a shame really. I guess I liked him

    ReplyDelete
  21. Too much fantasy to get through..

    and they are bloody chunky....

    Sanderson is a hit and miss author for me... Hopefully i'll get to this at some point..

    Hopefully the next fantasy you read it will work for you..

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. haha sounds like one heck of an adventure so far with the books. I'm still iffy on even staring the first one just because I'm not sure I'd even enjoy it. Still debating.

    Sucks about the ending though. Sometimes I cut a book major credit, even with a sucky ending if it was good throughout the novel. I'm definitely more curious about the series.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Okay, bear with me as it was a while ago I read the books. But I think the first book in the trilogy was my favorite. Although book three did have more action and wrapped up the story lines more. I have to say I loved Eland as well. He was my fav from book one where he didn't have much of a story line. I thought book three really rounded up the series well. But the ending for Vin and Elend was a little... out there? That was one I wasn't to fond of but I like when authors do things differently. :)

    I have to say these are great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mishel
    I really should have done that too, cos the third was far the best, so cool, and so much going on. But the end, oh, sometimes I just cannot forgive things

    Melissa
    Sometimes (like 1% of the times) I can deal with an ending like that. But here, I just felt it did not have to happen. Considering what happened afterwards

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think its cool to hear everyones views on stories and endings. :) Cool!

    Oh, and I wanted to mention Brandon is working on a novella set in this same world. :) Just in case you didn't hear yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Melissa
    I think I heard that somewhere..., but where would that have been, oh well :)
    I just got so mad at the end

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP