Monday 10 January 2011

Review: A Quick Bite - Lynsay Sands

Argeneau, book 1

Genre: Paranormal romance
Pages: 400
UK PB: Published: December 2010 Gollancz

That hot guy tied to Lissianna Argeneau's bed? He's not dessert - he's the main course!

Lissianna has been spending her centuries pining for Mr. Right, not just a quick snack, and this sexy guy she finds in her bed looks like he might be a candidate. But there's another, more pressing issue: her tendency to faint at the sight of blood... An especially annoying quirk for a vampire. Of course it doesn't hurt that this man has a delicious-looking neck. What kind of cold-blooded vampire woman could resist a bite of that?

Dr. Gregory Hewitt recovers from the shock of waking up in a stranger's bedroom pretty quickly - once he sees a gorgeous woman about to treat him to a wild night of passion. But is it possible for the good doctor to find true love with a vampire vixen, or will he be just a good meal? That's a question Dr. Greg might be willing to sink his teeth into... If he can just get Lissianna to bite.

Plot:
The Blurb does say it all.

My thoughts:
This one was on the lighter side of paranormal romance. Sure there was some passion and danger, but there was also this light vibe and some humour.

I liked the plot idea. Lissianna is an 200 year old vampire, she has no problem biting down on a neck but in these modern times most blood comes in bad. And Lissi has one big problem, she faints at teh sight of blood. Her mother kidnaps a hunky men and leaves him on her bed, the doctor to fix her problems. A sexy doctor that makes her long for a bit more.

Lissi was nice, and after delving deeper into her past I understand her fear of blood. Greg was understanding, well, after a while, and they seemed to good for each other. But being immortal is not that easy when it comes to men.

And there I come into the best part of the book, the vampires. Not silly cross fearing, no shadows bloodsuckers here. No there is a good scientific reason; Atlantis, scientist, nanobots into bloodstreams to cure illness, and those same nanos were just too good. Which left the people almost immortal, but in a need of blood not to die. The same nanos can be transferred from mother to child, and if you find you perfect mate. There you got, vampires created by mistake by a superior people. I loved the originality of this.

The tone is light, and had me reading fast. One thing did bother me, a certain danger that emerged and that was so obvious but that Lissi did not see. But then she did have Mr Hunk on her mind so I forgive her.

My recommendation and final thoughts:
I liked this book, and it is a series that I would recommend. There are still lots of single vamps that need to find true love, and I wonder what dangers might emerge. A 3,5 with a promise of more to come. I enjoyed this story, and I sure enjoyed the background for the story. It was a sweet story, throw in some passion and mix with one big nosy family.

Reason for reading:
Sounded fun

Cover:
She does look really sweet and that fits Lissi.


30 comments:

  1. Now you sold me the book instantly. I love good, original theory behind my vampires even more than their bloody diet and constant looking for handsome meals. Great review and the blurb did tell it all - thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds cute. The cover makes me smile for some reason. Her grin borders on naughty and nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, looks like they're re-releasing these? I liked this series, until it just kept going on and on and on...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this book to be much lighter and cuter than I had expected too - which was good. I am going to be reading more from this series...eventually lol. Very nice review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds fun, despite how I loathe vampires haha great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lighter vampire romance. And I think the cover is pretty adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi B!

    I've read several of Lynsay Sands' books, and they're mostly the lighter side of paranormal romance, just enough to keep the vampire lover in me happy. So far, I haven't been led wrong by Ms. Sands' work.

    Thanks for the review, I need to add a few of her books (there's an extensive backlist) to my ereader!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This plot kinda makes me chuckle. Maybe it not the plot but the cover

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice review! I have yet to give this series a shot... hopefully I will sooner rather than later hehe =D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw this recently and thought it's just some silly YA but you made it sounds good. But I think I wait for library ;)
    I kinda like the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 'That hot guy tied to Lissianna Argeneau's bed? He's not dessert - he's the main course!'OMG -what a book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to say I like my cover much better. I love this book most of the series. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been curious about this one. I've read the blurb and wanted to read more. Thanks for the review. I might have to pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice review! I'm with Chris - I liked this series a lot but then after 6-7 books it just became too streched and uninteresting... But I did love this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't read any of this series, but I definitely want to now. I just never tire of vampires, and it's kind of nice that it's a lighter read than you might expect. Thanks for your thoughts on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ana
    It was such a cool idea. I love the whole Atlantis scientist and how they made "vampires" by mistake. The sun thing is there, but that is just cos if the skin burns then the nanobots work more, so they don't burn up, it is just not healthy.

    JuJu
    I do love her smile, it is just like that, she looks so sweet :)

    Chris
    They sure are. I did look it up and yikes, you're right there. Books should end some time

    Julie
    I liked that too, light and cute is nice. I do not always need dark and mindblowing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Melissa
    They are a bit over-exposed, that's for sure. But these, well they were different :)

    Carol
    I just love how nice she looks. Such a great fit

    Dottie
    I am glad to hear that she keeps it light and good. I really like lighter PNR these days. I think that and humour PNR is my kind of paranormal.
    And I saw the backlist...a lot of books ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Inked
    Lol, it was sure different. Gotta love a vamp that faints

    Larissa
    There are so many good ones out there. It is hard to choose sometimes. So many books, so little time

    Elysium
    Oh not silly YA, fear not, they did things that should not be in YA, lol

    Vivienne
    And her mother left him there *shakes head* Can you understand how that family made me giggle

    ReplyDelete
  19. Laurie
    Guy with a kiss on his neck? Saw that one, not a fave, but cool :)

    Melissa
    I hope you like it if you do. Light, yet passionate, funny, yet drama

    Host
    That I do get, some books, they should just stop some time. But then books make money and as long as people buy them they sell

    Jenny
    I have been on such a vamp break, mostly were and shifters for me so it was fun to get back to the bloodsuckers

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a cute series and the books are all pretty light and fun. Sands has a great way of mixing the paranormal with humor and I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the light Vamp stories - for some reason they always hit the spot with me...

    I not sure if I like these new cover though.. The original covers had a bit of something to them..

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't read anything by Lynsay yet but I've heard some good things about her other books. I like the sound of this one. It sounds fun and cute =) I almost giggled at the fact that Lissi doesn't like the sight of blood. Bet that's fun when she's feeding.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I never thought a vampire book would be light reading, but this one sort of sounds like it. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have this series in my TBR. Someday I will get to them. They sound like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Promise of more to come..makes me rethink reading this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Tracy
    I do like that too :) Light paranormal with humour, it just fits the genre. At least for me

    EH
    I have to have a look at the oldies, but you know this one has really grown on me now. I like it, though, not gonna like that the rest look just like it

    Naida
    Lol, I like it now too, just so cute

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mishel
    Lol, I know, she does faint at one time. And since people can be afraid of blood then why should vamps be too ;) Makes it so much funnier

    DC
    I know, not what one expects, but it was, and it worked so well too

    Yvonne
    I hope you enjoy them when you do :)

    Staci
    Many more actually, lots of relatives there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the summary with Greg being strapped to the bed. I hope he doesnt spend too much time there...I have a picture of him being strapped to the bed during the whole of the story...hehe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Jenny
    Lol, that poor man..or lucky man :) Nah, he gets out of the bed eventually after the situation is clearer

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP