Monday 31 January 2011

Review: A bite to Remember - Lynsay Sands

Argenau, book 5

Genre: Paranormal romance
Pages: 400
Published: January 2011 Gollancz

Rule #1: Never get involved with someone who won't be there for you when the sun comes up.
Once bitten, twice shy, and sexy PI Jackie Morrisey wasn't going there again. Vincent Argeneau may be the hottest guy she's ever met, living or dead, but she's here to stop a killer from turning this vampire into dust, not to jump into bed with him.

Rule #2: Never kiss a vampire...it can be a pain in the neck.
Okay, so Vincent's had four hundred years to perfect his kissing skills, and he does look rather tempting when he runs around the house shirtless. He's also charming, protective...did we mention he can kiss? Jackie needs to be on her guard, or else she'll have to come up with a new rule:

If you're going to fall in love with a vampire, make sure it's a bite to remember.

Plot:
Someone is sabotaging Vincent's plays and to his rescue comes a female PI, sexy, mortal, and with a bit of grudge against immortals. Then his aunt shows up too, because she is afraid that he is lonely and depressed.And she is hinting about life mates.

My thoughts:
Shall I state my do not worry OCD peeps message again, ok. I read book 1 and now I read this one. Were there books in between yes, Vincent's aunt mentioned that his cousins had found life mates but that was it. And the nano thing was explained again and some other things. This book was a perfect stand alone novel. Trust me on this.

Vincent then, an actor, 400 years old, and a bit tired of the hunt, and even sex. He has a disorder that the nanos can't fix. He needs to feed from a source, not bag of blood. He is a hottie, nice and cheery around others. Jackie is all business, good at what she does, and she has been bitten before and doesn't have happy memories of her old lover. But there was chemistry between this couple, even if it took some time for them to act on it.

There is saboteur and the hunt for this person. I kept wondering who it could be, and things will happen. That is all I am saying.

This series is still very light, and with subtle humour here and there. Some romance, passion, danger, and interesting vampires. There was also one great side character and that was Jackie's associate Tiny, this huge guy who loved to work in the kitchen. I could just see him baking his muffins.

Recommendation and final thoughts:
I like this light series, and the Argeneau family. They have a rich history and there are sure certain members of the family whose stories I would like to read. I also liked how easy it was to just jump into this series.

Reason for reading:
I read book 1

Cover:
Ok so i am not a fan of the just face covers, but he does have a very handsome face

36 comments:

  1. Originally published in 2006 as book #5. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love sexy vampires. It seems like a lot of romance series don't need to be read in order. Each book more or less centers on one couple and maybe the others are mentioned, but you don't really need to know their story to enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi B!

    This is one of my favorite paranormal romance series. Lynsay Sands writes a quick read with a great HEA, love her vamps!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea that some actors are vampires and they are 400-year-old hotties. I don't know about the romance part. Maybe, maybe not. I think after reading "Fallen" I need something different - in fact anything but not the romance. I must heal - any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rules at the beginning had me wanting this book. Vincent sounds gorgeous. Like that you can read it as a standalone too. Love the little dribble of blood on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds great and the guy on the cover is yummy! I'll have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris
    Saw that :) I do like my new book better ;)

    Carol
    So true, and what I felt from this one order is not needed. And no big spoilers either about things that might have happened before.

    Dottie
    I love quick reads with HEAs, they are the best, especially when pressed for time

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ana
    He even knew Shakespeare ;)
    *shudders' Well it is nothing like Fallen. poor you, that book must have scarred you, it was so horrid.

    How about some fiction, like Room? pr Patrick Ness with his dystopian books

    Vivienne
    Hihi, I love that blood at the sound of his mouth. Very very nice.
    And I am glad the rules made you want it

    Alyssa
    He is worth picking up the book for ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm, I am not sure this book is for me. I've had a hard time getting into the whole vampire thing but I can see how that cover could attact a person ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've hear a lot of good things about this book, but I think they re-did the cover. Still hot male :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had started this book but didn't get too far in. I think this was the book that made me realize that paranormal romance just isn't for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read any of this series yet. I love vampire stories, though I prefer the darker ones. Maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete
  13. "do not worry OCD peeps" LMAO! You are too funny! I have still only read book one *sigh* Eventually I'll read more. I like the lightness of this series.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for a nice suggestion - Patrick Ness might do the trick (if I can find that one).

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love rule number 2!! i've really liked the historical romances that i've read by this author!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amused
    He most be using those vamp powers of seduction ;)
    Well not all like these books :) That is the fun thing with genres

    Lis
    Yup, it was a couple hugging before, I do prefer hot guy, even if I am not a fan of the heads only covers

    JuJu
    It was :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Simcha
    It certainly is not the genre for everyone. I have found that what I like is the light ones and the ones with humour.

    Diana
    I do understand, those are pretty lovely too ;)

    Julie
    I aim to please, lol.
    There are so many books out there, so no wonder if you and I are behind on our series reading

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ana
    I did love love him, book 2 was good, but book 3, oh sigh...perhaps it was just me. Still he should be read. And you have liked dystopian :)

    What about fantasy then? Something for you?

    Carrie
    Historical...*goes to google* Oh of course, yes I have seen her name on HR :) The kilts ones, how could I forget

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow, this sounds like a good series! a cute hero that bakes muffins...what more could a girl want?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've known of these books, but really not seen any reviews. So glad you reviewed this. Now, it is very much on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I want to read this one based on the cover alone (what a cutie!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I trust you about being able to jump into a story at anytime, but it's so hard to convince my mind that it's o.k.!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOL! I'm one of those OCD people. :) I just can't bring myself to read a book out of order. But it is great to hear it can be done and not ruin the book. :) Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have this series in my TBR, but I must read them in order. LOL Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds good! The OCD in me did raise it's head a little ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. The dynamic between the vampire guy and the sexy PI sounds rather delicious and amusing at the same time. And I am seriously curious about this aunt thing. I seriously don'e get it. Perhaps this is one of the crucial part of the series?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Naida
    Must go back and check that, anyway sadly it was not the hero that bake muffins. He has not eaten of hundreds of years

    Melissa
    I am glad to bring it onto your radar :)

    DC
    I mean *melts into a little puddle of drool* Lol, hottie, oh yes

    Staci
    Do not worry, we can take it one step at a time. I am here to guide other ocd book people :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Melissa
    I am too, but I have noticed that with PNR it works, sometimes. Cos these have all different plotlines so they are not connected like some PNR :)

    Yvonne
    Well if you have them all then go for it :)

    Elysium
    Lol, I know, it does come out at times like this.

    Shy
    She was more there too..well hint that they are meant to be. But I realized later that she is also there to build up a book of her own. And she gets book 8 :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh...lol...its Tiny who was baking the muffins! I read it wrong the first time :P

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for the reivew. Good to know that its easy to get into the story without picking up the previous books.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great review! I have the series OCD thing too LOL


    btw, the guy on the cover looks like the guy on one of the Vampire Academy covers!! i think its the same model LOL

    ReplyDelete
  32. Jenny
    I am always wondering about things like that, so I like to spread the word :)

    larissa
    Oh no, I never fancied that guy since I was not a huge VA fan, we should make Chris investigate it

    ReplyDelete
  33. glad to hear it works as a standalone. and i like the cover model but it doesn't seem to fit.

    btw: I nominated you as being Worth Your Weight in a ‘Gator Battle!
    http://vvb32reads.blogspot.com/2011/02/worth-your-weight-in-gator-battle-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks Velvet :D
    Wohoo, I can take down a Gator

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP