Sunday 30 January 2011

Guest review: No rest for the Wicca - Toni Lotempio

Genre: Paranormal romance / Urban Fantasy
Pages: 310, ebook
Published: 2010
Review by Lis

Communing with the dead is an everyday occurrence for PI Morgan Hawkes. A half-Wiccan witch who can commune with spirits of those caught between worlds, Morgan uses her talents to exorcise the trapped ghost or demon as part of the Paranormal Investigation Squad – until a string of murders with a voodoo slant prompts the Special Forces Agency to ask for her assistance. Someone’s killing pureblood witches- and the SFA’s convinced Morgan’s heritage (her father was a voodoo priest) could be instrumental in solving the mystery. Teamed with dashing SF agent Cole St. John – an Inheritor Vampire that sets her blood racing – the two of them fight their attraction for each other as they race to stop a madman from unleashing a demonic force upon the world.
 
 ---------------

Ho boy! This book. Holy hopping cows! B. sure does know the books she sends me. This book... it's just. Gah. Now I have to form words to make you understand just how cool this book was. Does B. know was she asks of me?

Alright here goes.

No Rest For the Wicca (bad. Bad title. But fun) is about Morgan Hawkes, half witch, PI, ghost & demon whisper and an all-round sarcastic woman. In fact, if you look up sarcastic in a dictionary there will most likely be a picture of her. Morgan works for the Paranormal Investigation Squad (can you just imagine mentioning your line of work at a party and you have to say that?). Enter the mystery in the form of the killings of pure blood witches – now if that doesn't have an arian sting to it, I don't know – in a ghastly manner.  The Special Forces Agency asks for her assistance in solving the murders. Enter sexy sexy sexy agent and vampire Cole St. John. Did I mention he is sexy? Morgan thinks so too! Together they will have to save to world from a mad idiot with a plan.

This is a book that draws you right in and doesn't want to let you go. You'll be sorely disappointed if this books ends, let me tell you that. The story is a straight up mystery, but the plot moves quickly and it fits. There is quite a lot of world building with interesting creatures you don't normally find in an urban setting. But it is the characters that make this a well above average paranormal mystery. Despite her abilities, Morgan is a very human character who is weighed down by her past. She is a strong, witty, snarky and sarcastic woman who knows how to tell a story.

Cole St. John is her paranormal counterpart who is tortured by his past. He is Morgan's perfect counterpart. He is strong without dominant and he doesn't let her get away with anything. He's also a very seductive character! There are some really steamy scenes in this book that just about made me melt.

So did I like everything about this book? Almost. While the story is wickedly awesome and very very enjoyable, what it lacked was good editing. Yes, here I go again on my rant about e-books and editors. It's a minor thing that doesn't reflect badly on the story. There were a few typos and grammar mistakes, nothing major, but an editor would probably have had a good influence on some of the dialogues.

You also  might have caught my quip earlier about pure blood having an arian sting to it. It's something that I don't quit like, but you see it quite often in (urban)fantasy. The classification of paranormal beings into pure and not so pure. From Harry Potter to about half of the fantasy books out there. There is just something not quite right about saying someone is a pure witch, warlock, wolf or whatever. It made me wonder if authors know the impact of some words. Personally I prefer full blooded to pure. Though, of course, sometimes it fits if a character describes someone as “pure” or if a particularly evil group says so. But  not in a general description. However, this is my hang-up so don't let it stop you from reading this book!

Because this is also a book I can most definitely recommend. It impressed me. So go pick it up!!



Thanks Lis! It sounds good :D

14 comments:

  1. The title is definitely bad. I am not fond of voodoo priests or Wiccans either. However looking into the big, mad, swirling green eyes of that Lis's avatar I think that maybe this book is redeemable after all...;)A kind of chocolate dessert you crave although you know very well you shouldn't eat it for your own good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great guest review! Very fun and entertaining!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anachronist: True, not every twist on saying works, tough some are funny! And I've long since stopped trying to judge e-books by their covers, because you just can't tell! But this one is definitely the equivalent of a chocolate dessert!

    Irena: Love your avatar!!! And thanks! I'm glad you think so :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Holy hopping cows'- this made me laugh and so did the book title.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ana
    Lol, oh you are too funny, but yes you know that Lis tells it like she reads it :)

    Irena
    :)

    Lis
    I still judge, I am bad, no chocolate for me

    Vivienne
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vivienne: good thing! Sometimes I just say these things. The title is just wrong, but luckily the book is awesome!

    Carrie: go read it and then tell me what you think!

    B. I know, I do too, but it doesn't stop me from reading :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good. I'm putting this on my B&N wishlist! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, the book may have not drawn me in with the cover (however, I do sometimes like a cheesy title! lol) your review made me look twice. If you had this much fun, I should check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you really enjoyed this one. I think I'm going to have to add it to my WANT list for just that reason. But it does sound like a great book I would enjoy. I love mystery and UF mixed together. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always enjoy Lis's reviews!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carrie
    :)

    Lis
    I know better too, though I still lust after the pretty covers :)

    Yvonne
    Glad to hear that

    Melissa
    Aye listen to her .)

    DC
    I liked it too, it was funny

    Melissa
    I do like mixes too ;)

    Staci
    I am glad to have her over :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yvonne: go you! It's worth the read :-)

    Melissa: yes, the cover is not one that makes you look twice. Fortunately the story is! :-)

    DCMetroreader: lol! Well I'm glad we differ on opinion there! :-)

    Melissa: woa! Thanks! That just made my night! Trust me, it's well worth the read!

    Staci: awww thanks gal! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP