Wednesday 17 August 2011

Joint review: Galaxy Girls - Edie Ramer

Genre: Sci-fi romance
Pages: 304, ebook
Published:  2011
Source: For review
Review by Blodeuedd & Lis 

Genetically created to be broodmares, Phyrne Galaxy and her mother, aunt and cousin don't need men, they need freedom. They escaped from the warring planet of Kergeron to Earth, where they run into crooks  with guns. But Phyrne has her own weapon, more powerful than bullets. She's ovulating.  Phyrne turns up the heat, taking out more than the crooks in her wave of sexual torture. FBI Special Agent Hawk Higgens, running to protect the women, is brought to his knees, too.  Being seduced by an alien changes Hawk's life. He joins the Foundation, a privately funded agency that hunts aliens. Six years later, the reason for his career change pops back on the radar in a tea shop in Kentucky. The woman whose face still haunts his dreams has an addition to her family – a five-year-four-month-old daughter.

At the same time, two Kergeron warriors are sent to Earth bring the women back to their home planet. With an ex-FBI agent and two alien warriors on her trail, Phyrne's calm life running the Tea & Comfort shop is about to get shaken, stirred and screwed.

The review is done interview style each answering up to five questions about the story.

Questions:
1.    So this is an unusual book. Can you tell us what this story is about?
They are from one hellish planet where men are warriors and women are only breeders. If the children are defected (not fertile or warrior enough they are aborted, or if they man just do not want a girl child.) The men are brutal. There is no love so you can understand why our four heroines travel across space and comes to earth. But Phyrne gets pregnant trying to save them (you just have to read that to get it) and 6 years later the hunky FBI agent has not forgotten her and neither has their home world. This book is about them trying to live heir life but secret agents and warriors from home does not want that. And it also about love since not all men are as creepy as those back home.


2.    What did you did think of the romance setting in Galaxy Girls?
Well, it’s most definitely not your everyday boy meets girl romance. I mean how many heroes do you come across who can use pheromones and ovulation as a weapon? Apart from that, there is definitely a spark between our two heroes, but as I said it’s not your typical romance. Phyrne and Hawk spend a great deal apart from each other, both after they first meet and later on in the story. While it worked for the story, I would have loved to see them together more. However, that wasn’t the main goal of this story. There are several other men in the story that would do for a good romance too. Yum!

3.    Galaxy Girls is quite the funny story, which scene had you doubling over in your seat?
Owh hell, I have to choose? Hmmm, alright…well. I guess it would be the start of the book. Reading about Phyrne using her –erh – weapon to take down the nasties was just hilarious. I was actually sitting in the train while reading that and my face must have been very comical to my fellow travellers: wide eyes, open mouth and then laughing like a loon! I can most definitely say that while I’ve read a lot, I never read anything quite like that before! 

4.    Out of the four gals who did you like best and why?
That would be Phyrne. I just loved her from the get go. Hard not to. I like her strong, independent and caring nature.

5.    Did you think this story has depth or is it a comical airy romance?
There is nothing airy about Edie Ramer’s stories, though while this story is definitely not a Donna Tart novel (thank the gods of books for that) it’s also not a fluffy bodice ripper. There is some depth too it, but more it’s just a fun adventurous story with strong independent women. 


6.    What are your thoughts on Galaxy Girls, did you like the story?
I liked the story because I am fascinated with new worlds. Sure we did not get much of their home world but we got enough for me to know that I would never want to visit. It was also fun to see these aliens settle on earth, which they had only seen on tv. It was also hard, ok not hard, but to know who to trust. Did Hawk really want the best for them? What about the rest? We all know that when agents and aliens meet it does not end well and I would not want my new favourite family dissected. And of course there was a bit of romance/passion and I never say no to that.

7.    Are there any underlying themes or (romance) tropes in this story?

This is one of Lis' questions and I am trying to wrap my head around it. Let's see if I can figure it out. Ok, there are the damsels in distress theme, but these damsels wants to take care of themselves, but it is still there. And sometimes you just have to ask a man for help (or a woman for that matter). It does not matter who you are if you got the skills.

I can pull out the lost lover card, ok so it was just a one quick heated session but he sure never forgot her. There is also a bit of a beauty and beast theme, and I can't say more about that either. And how about the secret baby trope! Oh yes I almost forgot about that. And a bit of enemies turned into lovers. All in all making it one fun ride.

 8.    How are the men/man in this story? Do they actually partake in the story or are they just there for decorations?
The men, who to start with? I liked the creeps from Kergeron the best. Why? Well cos they were scary! The only thing that is on their mind is war and getting good babies out of their women. Even the sex is quick and no fun. I can't say too much about the pursuers but they do give an insight into the mind of the baddies.

Hawk, our good guy, oh he is just good. Filled with feelings of sex and revenge. But when he sees the kid, awwww. Still sure he could be a part of the decoration, but in a good way. He have to be there, but at the same time it is Phyrne's story.

9.    What is your overall conclusion of Galaxy Girls?
My overall conclusion would be that you’d be crazy not to want to read this book! Even if the title sounds a bit tacky, it draws you straight into the story from the first chapter!


10.    Who was the writing style of this book?
As always, Edie Ramer’s writing is solid, strong and inventive. She doesn’t just tell a story, she spins it. With her writing she manages to draw you right into a story.















27 comments:

  1. Ovulation...pheromones...galaxies...oh dear what a mix... nice to know you have survived the tournament Lis, dear! Lovely and original review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a really interesting, really different type of romance and I like that. Not sure about the title or cover, but it seems like there's a great story behind those things:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is some depth too it, but more it’s just a fun adventurous story with strong independent women.

    Blodeuedd & Lis, that’s exactly the tone that I intended for the book. I'm so glad it came through. I loved your joint review! Thank you!

    I'm writing a novella with characters from the book, and yesterday I got an idea for a short story with GG characters. I’m not ready to leave them yet. I’m enjoying them too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh..I have this one coming up. Looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually don't read sci-fi, but this sounds cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review/interview girls, I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What? pheromones and ovulation as a weapons? Is this a book about Alexander Skarsgard?

    LOL

    Just kidding. :P

    Love your review style for this one. Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to do a review! So innovative!

    I wouldn't have thought that with the whole warrior/breeder theme it wouldn't be humorous or romantic. So, I'm so curious! Yep, I will be checking this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Ana
    I did not recognize you there at first.
    Aye she survived and is back :)


    @Jenny
    Well it is their last name :) On earth that is


    @Mandi
    I hope you enjoy it


    @Bermuda
    It was :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Edie
    I am glad we both got to read the book :D And that you liked our review.

    Ohhh sounds exciting :D
    And I must say you are very wicked cos of a certain thing that happened at the end

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Aurian
    I am glad :)


    @Missie
    LOL. Wicked you ;) Sadly no he was not in it, but you can imagine he is


    @Melissa
    It was all Lis' idea :D

    It was very different, dark, but never really dark since yes it was light

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice joint review ladies. This book definitely sounds unique. You had my attention with 'ovulation as a weapon' lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely an unusual sounding book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like a very unusual story, but entertaining as well. I'm definitely curious about it now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh this is a really neat set up for the review, and a really neat sounding book! :) I like the sounds here. Like fun. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. B, I had fun writing "a certain thing that happened at the end." lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wonder if this book would have a printed version... I'm a touchy-feely reader... I like my paper pages :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG this book sounds funny and different. Nice joint review.

    ReplyDelete
  19. As I kind of killed my own awatar in one of my flash fiction stories (nobody noticed that Cuddly the eagle ate white squirrel) I decided to compose something else. Now I am a stone-headed baroque lady from Czocha castle (ehem, your castle actually!).

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Naida
    Lol, well it sure draws one in


    @Chris
    I do like those ;)


    @Simcha
    I like the weird, ok not that this one was that weird. it was just sci-fi


    @Melissa
    All Lis' idea. And she ran with it, looks cool :=D

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Edie
    Very wicked ;)


    @Cherry
    Hm, dunno. Perhaps not as of today :(


    @Book cat
    Thanks :D it was fun to do it



    @Ana
    Aha, well you are too tricky for us :)
    Oh yes my castle, I forgot that I put dibs on it. I do love a good castle

    ReplyDelete
  22. The story sounds a bit out there and its probably not a book I would usually read. You made it sound really fun in your review so I'm going to keep a open mind about it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It does sounds a bit tacky, but I'm glad it's not! ;) Cool review.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fun way to do the review! The book sounds kooky but in a fun refreshing way. I don't think I would have given it a chance before but now i'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jenny
    The out there ones are fun :) And yes it sure is, but it is sci-fi after all ;)

    Nina
    Lol, it worked well

    Carrie
    It sure was


    Karen
    All thanks to Lis :)
    Kooky can be really good sometimes

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for all the comments guys!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP