Saturday 20 August 2011

Review: Bianca: The Silver Age - Jeff Pearce

Genre: Sci-fi/adventure
Pages:  266
Published: April 2011
Publisher: Gallivant Books
Source: For review
Review by Lis

It's the Age of the Paladins... The age of the so-called "Vigil-ebrities" who fight crime and protect the innocent as the world tries to recover from economic collapse. And on the streets of Bohemia, Bianca is trying to find answers to her unique chemistry. She's a succubus, forever trapped in a cycle of lust and violence that affects her very survival. But when she looks into the murder of a chemist responsible for the latest addictive gel, the trail leads to exotic cities, new allies and sinister criminal enemies, and a corporate conspiracy that threatens everyone on Earth. By the end of her journey, Bianca will join the ranks of the most famous Paladins in the world: Orson Hawkwood, the leader of Defenders Without Borders, the enigmatic Clerfayt, detective avenger of Paris, Thelonius Minh, the peculiar "shrink to the stars" and master of combat yoga, Makeda Falosade, the Bandit Queen, and the creepy, Makeda Falosade, disturbingly powerful Plague Man. Enter the Silver Age and join a unique heroine on her first exciting quest!

 ..................

Y’all know how I like a woman who can stand on her own two feet and who can kick ass when needed and not hide in a corner or behind a man? Well if you like that as well than you will most definitely like Bianca: The Silver Age, trust me on that. Sci-fi setting or not, this book was a fresh wind through my read booklist a while back. Let me see if I can tell you why this book rocks!

Jeff Pearce is a not so well know author yet, but he sure knows his way around words. When he wrote Bianca, he wrote a book with an original setting – well at least to me – a cast of unique characters and an action adventure mystery story that will keep you on the edge of your seat!

This story is mainly about Bianca and the friends she collects along the way. She’s most definitely not your average kinda gal in a post-economic apocalypse world that is called ‘The Age of the Paladins’ – crime fighters who protect those who need protecting. She’s a succubus. Yes, you heard that right, she lives of sex - she has to maintain a balance or go insane. Despite that, she is independent and smart, has skills and wit and a soft side. She doesn’t just give up. She becomes entangled in a dark plot. Together with others she has to get to the bottom of it and soon! People are dying!

The writing is very good. The author creates a world that is not just your typical sci-fi setting with some stock characters. While there is a big evil, that is not just the main focus of the story. The author not only creates an original world and knows how to populate it; he creates character with some unique skills too. Combat Yoga anyone? It’s enough to make this story believable, fun and not far-fetched! 

I’m not a real big fan of sci-fi, but this book is GOOD. It’s sci-fi with a dark edge.  I really enjoyed reading it and I’m looking forward to reading more books by this author.  So the conclusion: if you’re looking for something different and you like sci-fi and you want a kick-ass heroine? Then this book is most definitely for you! Go get it!  




15 comments:

  1. Nice review, sounds like a really strong heroine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not too crazy about the cover, but the story does sound interesting. Bianca sounds like a great heroine. I do enjoy sci-fi. Nice review by Lis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a new-to-me author as well. It sounds like Jeff Pearce has a compelling author's voice :) I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sci-fi world is definitely original and I do like Bohemia as a setting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sold me on it instantly, Lis. If I find it I will read it for sure, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like a kick-ass heroine and I enjoy sci-fi. Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Lis for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It really is a kick-ass book! Thanks for the comments everyone!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Bianca already :) I am sure this will be a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where do you find books like that? Sure sounds original, but it does not make me put it on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Veens
    One gotta love that :)

    Aurian
    Well, Lis does ask that of me a lot. But it is not I who find things, they find me :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice review! I'm not sure this is a book for me but I do like a heroine who can stand her ground and not get trampled on. I'm not really fond of this cover though. It doesn't draw me to the book at all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a new one to me. And sounds like a great read. Thanks for introducing a new book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Darlene
    I do like a heroine like that too :)

    Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks again! Aurian the authors find B. and B. find me ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP