Sunday 7 August 2011

Review: Midnight on Julia Street - Ciji Ware

TV reporter Corlis McCullough's investigation of a century-old mystery involving spectacular 19th-century buildings under the threat of the wrecker's ball brings her back into the orbit of her old college nemesis King Duvallon. But now they're mature and companionable, and King shows Corlis a fascinating, hidden side of New Orleans society. Then she begins to be pulled back into the past where corruption, violence, and greed mirror the events of the current day.

My thoughts:
This is a book with that extra something, it is not about reincarnation, but instead the main character, Corlis, smells things and sees things from the past. We do get an explanation to why this happen, why things that happened were so strong that they left a trace. It's New Awlins sugar, things are strange there.

Corlis is a non nonsense reporter. She loves to get a good story but that usually lands her in trouble because who would know that the person in the story was related to the guy owning the news station. So she changes job a lot. But I like her integrity. It's all about the story.
The book is about the past and the present. Corlis follows the news that is King Duvallon as he tries to save old buildings from getting torn down, and something fishy is going on behind the scenes. The guy who wants to build new things is not a good guy. And of course there are sparks between Corlis and King. 

The second part is about the things Corlis sees. Back in the early 1800th century her ancestor lived in New Orleans. A lot was going on there and a lot of the people she meets in this book, she also "meets" back then, their ancestors that is. It all has to do with a building that they now want to tear down. So we see old Corlis in her unhappy relationship. We learn that 45 % of black people were free people of color in New Orleans. How daughters of mixed unions were brought up to become high class courtesans. Everything connects. What is really helpful is the chart at the beginning of the book. How everyone now was related to the people back then.

The book changes now and then. Corlis chapters, and then old Corlis chapters.

Ok that sounds like there are a lot going on, but it's not a bad thing. You get into the story at once and there is no problem following it. I was really fascinated by the old story and I certainly did not know this about old New Orleans. It was a really interesting part of its history.

Ware knows how to mix her history and present and she does it so well.

Conclusion:
An interesting book about a truly fascinating city and a rich cast of characters.

Rating:
Interesting

Cover Thoughts:
Nice, but yes I like to see the people

Genre: Historical Fiction
Pages: 512
Published: August 1st 2011 (1999)
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Source: From the publisher


PS: I was told that one person could not see the cover, the blurb hid it. But others I asked can see it, so if someone can't see it please tell

35 comments:

  1. Going by your review, I think this book would be a slow read for me if I have to keep referring back to the chart at the beginning of the book. And the possibility is, I would because I am not good at remembering things. It also sounds complicated. But then again, that very complexity perhaps is the very one which makes this a good read :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That has to be one of the most purple dresses ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding this to my wishlist now! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adding this to the list of Ciji Ware books I must read :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this one too, it seems I have been reading a lot in New Orleans and loved learned some history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One day I'll get around to read Ware's books... This sounds so good and the dress is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like heroines with integrity and I like purple but I am in two minds about the book. I migth try it or not. Thanks for a nice review, though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that there is a bit of history in it. ;) Who doesn't love a book with that extra something in it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. His name is King? OK, other than that the book sounds good! ;) I love when the past and present is woven together in one story. I also love books set in New Orleans. That is an amazing city!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I think I would like this book. I love humor in my PNR! :)

    LOVED the FF! Brilly move for her to take the coat to escape. You are slipping. Wasn't that an HEA? ;D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops! Came back and put the comment for the Vamp book here. Now, I will do my correct comment here. lol

    You are going to get me into Ciji Ware! Did you know that? I have a couple of her books on my tbr b/c of you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the idea of going back and forth between the different periods; New Orleans in any era is a fantastic setting to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i can see the picture!


    i'm not sure why but a lot of times I don't really like time travel books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review. I read a book a while back that was set in New Orleans and it touched on some of the same topics like mixed girls being trained to be courtesans. Sounded like an interesting book to behold. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful cover! I recently added a couple of her books to my Nook and I'm going to add this one too. It sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds interesting. And a new book to me. I like the sounds of her knowing things. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds good. I'll keep an eye out for this one. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  18. While I do think it would be abit confusing, I do love the idea of the two parallel stories in different time periods.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the sound of the characters - the book might be tedious for me. Great review though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Cherry
    Trust me, I suck at remembering. Even when I do remember I still check back to be sure I got everyone right. But then I love charts, lol


    @Cherry
    I do like purple


    @Bucky
    Thanks!


    @Mary
    Lol, yes I got those too


    @Nise
    I seldom come around to New Orleans in book, and that is such a shame. I'd like to read more

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Elysium
    I want that dress, damn, love it


    @Ana
    Lol, well purple is one of my fav colours too. Maybe you need to read a few more reviews to make your decision


    @Nina
    I know, gotta love that extra something that spice things up.


    @Diana
    Kingsbury ;D Old family name, but peeps call him King.
    I know, what a city. I really want to read more books set there (and not just vamp books)


    @Melissa
    Lol, well ok first, yes PNR and humour = win

    I know! I thought I was on the right way and now I made her get away, slipping indeed

    You do? :D Hihi, I hope you will enjoy them


    @Steph
    It was done so well too, she visited a place in real life and the story moved from there in another time

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Carrie :)
    Hm, I should change with different browsers to be sure


    @Carole
    Aha, do you remember which book? It was sad really, since they were not allowed to marry white people, or slaves. Just other free people. So they just had the city


    @Yvonne
    I hope you enjoy them all


    @Melissa
    I am glad I put it on your radar


    @Linda
    I think you would like it


    @DC
    It sounds confusing but when you read it all makes sense


    @Melissa
    Thanks :) The characters were indeed cool

    ReplyDelete
  23. I want to read this one! I have yet to read anything by Ware!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't tried Ware's work yet, but a friend of mine loves it. It sounds like there's good reason.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You've made me sad that I passed on a copy of this book! I enjoyed Ware's Island of the Swans, so I'd like to give this one a try at some point, too. The historical aspect of the story attracts me most. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice review Blodeued, I am captivated. I want to read the book for myself now. And no, I cannot see the cover either.

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Jenny
    She is good :D Do try her


    @Bermuda
    I do want to read more by her, she has such a way with history


    @Anna
    Lol, I have been there too. most recently with that Austen book you had read and I passed on. But if you liked Swans (so wanna read that one) then I am sure you'd like this one too


    @Aurian
    Oh no! Emailing you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really enjoyed it for the story within a story effect. The history behind each family and the secrets that kept coming to the forefront. Her DNA flashbacks are interesting and something she used also in A Cottage by the Sea.

    Loved the review and despite the no headed girl on the cover - I loved the flow of that dress... I am such a girly girl for those things ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This one sounds good. I like the New Orleans setting.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have to say that purple draws you in LOL. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Aisle
    I am just the same, such a girly girl when I look at dresses like that :)
    The Dna memory thing is just fascinating and how she invented something new here with scents and other memories

    Naida
    It's a great setting

    Laurie
    It sure does :D i love it

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm actually excited to read this one this month. It will be my first Ware book!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I hope you enjoy it Staci :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. It does sound interesting. LOL. I like how you kept using that word. The cover is beautiful but that could be because I'm a bit obsessed with purple...just a thought. :-P Great review Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Deanna
    Lol, sometimes a word just sticks with me, like my cowboy review and sweet :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP