Friday 12 August 2011

Review: The Quiet Gentleman - Georgette Heyer

Genre: Historical romance/mystery
Pages: 368
Published: June 2011 (1951)
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Source: From the publisher

Unscathed from the wars, Gervase Frant finally returns to his father's estate to claim his title as the new Earl of Stanyon. But his stepmother's resentment and his half brother's open disdain put a chill on Gervase's welcome. Now he must establish himself as the new head of the house… and ignore his family's rising hostility.
Then Gervase's eye is caught by a lovely young woman—the same woman already much in favor with his half brother. Now the brothers face direct competition as they bid for the lady's attentions. But as Gervase struggles to maintain a gentlemanly balance, he begins to find himself the victim of repeatedly cruel accidents. Soon it becomes increasingly clear that someone wants the new Earl of Stanyon dead….

My thoughts:
My second Heyer book was a bit different because there was a big mystery in it, still it was not one of her true mystery novel. There is romance, mystery and the stillness that is proper manners.

First I was not sure about this one, mostly cos I felt Gervase was going after the wrong woman. Well I feared so. Though that fixes itself because he is a very quiet gentleman. A proper and nice man, a bit too nice actually. But then I do think Heyer seemed to like second chances and being all nice and all.

Back to the story. Gervase comes home. His younger step-brother resents him because he wants to be lord of the manor and get the pretty girl. Soon strange things start to happen. Who wants to kill Gervase? And that is the question. The way she continued to spin things did have me wondering even if I guessed it (ok I did not settle, I had options).

Martin the step-brother was very young and rushed into things. Still I never disliked him. Cousin Theo was all nice and managed things around the place. Miss Morville I liked from the start and hoped Gervase would fall for her. Miss Bolderwood was the beauty everyone fell for but yes just too pretty and nice (not the smartest cookie in the jar). Lucy (not a girl, just a nick-name) was Gervase's friend and fell for the local beauty too. But before you think everyone fell for her, I think I can spoil things and say that Gervase did not. It's not really a spoiler since he kind of realizes it at once. It was a  full cast of characters who all brought something to the book.

And again, everyone is just so proper and it is fantastic. The style is truly Austen and the language so too. I can't help to giggle when a certain young woman cries that someone tried to make love to her. Oh the phrasing is just wonderful. She meant kiss, nothing more.

Still I did feel it was a bit slow at times, but I enjoyed it none the less.

Conclusion:
Heyer is just fun.

Rating:
Nice

Cover:
Hm, does not fit...

 --------------------
My flash fiction for the week

34 comments:

  1. I wonder if that cover is actually from an old painting or something...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victorian novels are really not my thing but I am intregued. May be I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard great things about these books written by Georgette Heyer. I'm sure they are translated into Dutch, and someday I'm going to borrow a copy of one of them at the library. ;) This one looks okay, but sounds good! I love good manners! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am yet to read a good Heyer book. The one and only book I have read was Footsteps in the Dark and I didnot like it, though it was very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed the one Heyer I read. I'll have to give this one a try, especially since it has the touch of mystery too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy the propriety aspect of historical romance or historical fiction, I wouldn't have survived in that time period but I love reading about it:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find Heyer's books very nice but a bit on the boring side and rather predictable; this one seems more original, though, than those I've read. I am glad to hear you had so much fun reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am happy to see you are reading more by Georgette Heyer. And again: please try the Big Sophie. It is my favourite one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Chris
    Hm...it does seem to have some sort of meaning


    @Dana
    Well it was a regency era if that helps :)


    @Nina
    I am sure some of her books have to be since there are A LOT. She sure wrote many books


    @Veens
    Sounds like one of her mystery books, I do hear that they are different

    ReplyDelete
  10. @carol
    It was a good old regency mystery, since yes more mystery and romance.


    @Jenny
    Lol, I would not have been very good at it either. But I love to read how proper they are


    @Ana
    I think it takes me back to when I read Cartland. Every story was the same still I loved them...ok not love but cuteness alert!!!


    @Aurian
    I shall keep it in mind, I promise :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Victorian novels, and there is really no excuse for me not having read Hayer. I have a book or two on my kindle by her, and am really going to have to give her a try. I feel so uncultured not having read her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My first try with Heyer didn't work for me but I wonder if I should give her another try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know where those illicit kisses lead... ;)

    Oh I am going to have to pick up a book by her just to indulge in the language. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahaha sounds like a cute read, but I'm not sure if I'm up to reading this. lol I'll probably give it a shot someday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I kinda agree with Chris on that one. It looks like something off the wall of - say... some prestigious noble person.. Okay, so not on my walls, lol!

    Think you know what you would find on my walls, lol!!!

    Hope you are doing well honey! Miss you and I am very appreciative of you coming over to my place! Hugs to you hon!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love historicals because of the language and the clothing and the manners of people in those days. This sounds like a good book and your review was wonderful (like always). I might have to check out a book by this author. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know what you mean about Gervase being a bit too nice. I was surprised as well he could be that forgiving :)And I agree, the cover does not suit it too well.
    Nice review! I love that we both reviewed this around the same time :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't read any of Heyer's mysteries, but I just downloaded one to my Nook. I'm looking forward to reading it. I've heard so many good things about her mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You hid your friday fiction link from me and it took me a bit to realize what I had been missing! Yes, it was a hole I was feeling!

    Now, you are evil and you didn't have to give her a prince, but how could you let the evil queen win??? Oh, you are evil! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love historicals in the Austen style...truly its one genre I will never get tired of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really don't like the cover either. I will be reading this one in a week or so!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You read Cartland? Like Barbara Cartland? Oh dear, oh dear, apage satanas!!!!

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Heee nothing wrong with Barbara Cartland, I grew up with those books, and still love them! Check out my blog for some reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My! What a wonderful review Thou have written Miss Bloduedd. I've always wanted to try one of Georgette Heyer's novels and I still wish to do so after reading this splendid specimen of a review.

    Make love you say? Now that is not a proper way for a lady to speak.(Really that comment made me laugh out loud a kiss = making love, how much times must have changed LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Bucky
    Regency :)

    Lol, I felt like that too. Everyone seemed to have red her except for me. And I really wanted to read this classic author of love stories


    @Amused
    :( Sorry to hear that. Which book did you try? My first try did not work either and that was one of her his fic books


    @Melissa
    The language is just so beautiful, I wish we all talked like that, lol.
    '
    What!? Me, hiding stuff *whistles*
    I did know you would not approve ;) I was very very bad....very very bad. But evil has to win too


    @carole
    I do love cute, love it to pieces

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Cecile
    I do not think I would like him on my wall either ;)

    *g* I do think I know what your walls would look like. Damn that would be some hoy walls.

    Miss you too! *hugs*


    @Deanna
    Thank you :)

    The manners are the bet part, everyone is just so civil. Ok of course there are bitches but it is more class bitchiness


    @Naida
    I would certainly not have done that. But Heyer is a nice author, while I would have screamed f#"¤ the scandal!
    Wrong time frame too, and who is the old guy?


    @Yvonne
    This was not exactly one of her mysteries, but close enough.

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Jenny
    I love them too and I want more


    @Staci
    Enjoy! Then you can say what you think about a certain thing


    @Ana
    Do not die from shock now, you saw it coming, me being queen of Pink and fluff and all that.


    @Aurian
    They are the best. Cute, predictable and can be read in an hour, lol


    @Mari
    I thank thee my lady for the kind words you bestowed upon my humble person.

    It was just too funny, not to mention a few oher words that now would have another meaning. But that is just what makes it so real, and hilarious

    ReplyDelete
  28. blod: lol! yes, I think I would have screamed the 'F' word also then punched someone. I wondered who was the old guy too! And I think Gervase would be way handsomer than what he is on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wrong cover I guess. Wrong style too. Oh and yes he should be hotter, lol.

    But yes I would so have punched a certain someone and some time would have to be served

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think that is what I enjoy the most about reading historical fics, just seeing how different the language was. It does cause major giggling sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is the second review I've seen of this book today, and both of you compare Heyer to Jane Austen. Of course, you know that means I'm going to have to give her books a try now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Melissa
    She is good :D

    Missie
    It was just so funny. Lol, I get amused cos of the silliest things sometimes

    Anna
    She just have something, I guess she was a fan and yes that does mean you gotta read a book by her ;)

    ReplyDelete
  33. i believe this is one of the ones I received too.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP