Monday 8 August 2011

Review: Plain Fear: Forsaken - Leanna Ellis

Although she knows that the Amish way is to move on from grief, on to a new season, Hannah cannot move on from Jacob, who was taken too soon.
Jacob's brother Levi also cannot move on-his love for Hannah burns just as strong as ever. But he knows how much Hannah loved his brother, and the event that took Jacob from them.
And it's a secret he must take to his grave.
So when a mysterious stranger comes to their community, he too carries a secret; one that will force Hannah to choose between light and dark, between the one she wants to love and a new yearning she fears to embrace.

My thoughts:
I have sure seen those Amish romance books around and wondered if I should try one, well I did (in a way), it seems my first Amish book was a Amish vampire romance suspense book.

Hannah is the heroine. The Amish do not dwell on things but she can't forget Jacob. She seems very lost in her pain and she questions God for taking Jacob from her. Still she is a nice enough young woman and she can see that Levi, Jacob's brother is in love with her. Levi, him I did like. He wanted to wait for her, until the end of times if that is what it took. A good man.

But something evil has come to Amish country. Dead animals and people, and a former cop named Roc comes hunting for answers. Yes vampires, we do get that from the start and that the vampire named Akiva is Jacob and he wants his lost love back.

I do like that it took place where it did. It just made it so more interesting, especially when they put their faith in God and what happens happens. And of course I also liked that vampires are evil. Nope they cannot become nice, they are evil and when they feed they kill. Just as vampires should be. 

Still something was missing for me at times, perhaps it was the love. I did like the poems here and there but I still do not know if I felt the love between Hannah and Jacob, but I did feel that Levi loved her. And that she was entranced by Akiva. Perhaps the spark was gone.

Conclusion:
Vampires and Amish, I do like that the author tried something new.

Rating: 
Ok

Cover:
Fits


Series: Plain Fear 1
Genre: Suspense paranormal romance
Pages: 424
Published: August 1st 2011
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Source: From the publisher



35 comments:

  1. The premise is definitely original and I do like my vampires evil so...perhaps. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooooooooooooo I want this bad. Thanks for your honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amish vampire romantic suspense? That is a combination of things I would never have expected to see in one book:) Definitely makes me want to give it a try though:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't sound like it rocked as hard as it should have. However, I also like the fresh idea too! Hm... will have to think about this one.

    Aw... don't you like sparkly vamps? ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! Two things that I love about this premise: the Amish and evil, good-old nasty vampires. This is definitely a fresh take on vamps, making them infiltrate into an Amish community. I must read this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember wondering how this one would turn out when I first heard about it. Amish vampire romance. There is just something so genius about that. Plus, I like how you mentioned the vampires here are actually vampires and evil. That is a change.

    I might give this one a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. aww, i would be upset too if i wasn't feeling the romance. This is such an unique story though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amish Vampire romance?! Now that is something I never thought I'd see!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amish vampire romance? Sounds like one I'm going to be passing by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never thought about mixing the Amish and vampires before - definitely makes teh setting more unique!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sorry, but I cannot see your covers with this new layout. I don't think this is a book for me though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds interesting but not sure about the amish thing. I think I'll pass this unless library gets it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Ana
    And I like them hot, lol, but yes if they are not hot then they should be evil and real monsters


    @Juju
    Give it a go :D


    @Jenny
    Lol, I never thought I would see anything like that either. But then again I should not be surprised.


    @Melissa
    The idea was definitely cool, but I guess there was a spark missing for me.

    Lol, no thank you to sparkly vamps

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never read an Amish book before and I admit I'm a little confused as to WHY they are so popular. And it's REALLY bizarre to me to add in the element of a vampire! What an interesting premise.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Irena
    I do like the Amish, the simple life. But then they do know we are curious about them. And then vampires among them, so cool.


    @Missie
    So evil. They kill without remorse. Like their soul is truly gone, and I liked it. They only tempt to get dinner.


    @Carrie
    The story sure made me read on even if I did not always feel the love


    @Amused
    Lol, I should learn not the be surprised these days ;)


    @Carol
    Aye, I do not think it is for everyone

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Mel
    I do like that authors are not afraid to try new things :D

    @Aurian
    Hm, so strange! I wonder why...must email you


    @Elysium
    It might not tempt everyone :/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aarti
    I can't answer that, and one reason why I have not read one is the religious element. But here they had vamps so that worked, lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have read Amish fiction before and it was interesting although it was YA. I think something like this would be more up my alley. Amish and Vamps? lol. They think of everything!

    ReplyDelete
  19. An Amish vampire romantic suspense? Whoa! Now I've seen everything. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. *waves weakly*

    Darn Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hmmm, Amish and vampires... That is definitely new! I wouldn't have ever thought of the two being mixed together. :) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I didn't know there was such a thing. Do they have Amish werewolf & shapeshifter books? Glad this one worked out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the original premise - amish and vampires? So odd! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hmmm... it is interesting that the religious element is combined with the vampire element. And not in the normal way. I'm intrigued but oh my woeful list is too long.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amish and vampires? Now that sounds very original at least :) Tough I'm not sure that is for me but I enjoyed reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am sorry - but what does Amish mean? I feel embarrassed because everyone seems to know. But I do like the plot here.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Too bad the romance was lacking but kudos for the original concept!

    ReplyDelete
  28. @Naida
    Lol, I know. How on earth do they come up with things like this? I guess I have no imagination at all.


    @Diana
    Oh yes, you did not see that one coming ;)


    @Chris
    :/ I feel ya


    @Melissa My World
    I would not have either, but it works really well. makes me wanna think of and write something strange too


    @Steph
    Lol, I think not, but hey great idea. You should write a book like that

    ReplyDelete
  29. @Melissa Swim
    Odd and fun, gotta love creativity



    @Alexis
    I like that since here, well spawn of Satan and all that jazz


    @Mari
    Thanks.
    Aye, you hear about erevything these days, I do love that


    @Veens
    Hm, how to explain it. I am not that sure about everything.

    Anyway, Dutch people who came to the States long ago, they still live like 200 years ago. Everything plain and god fearing. A religious group


    @Alyssa
    Perhaps it was me, but yes at least I liked that :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think it's great that you tried something new. so many people are content with just the same ol' books and hey you gave it an honest shot.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Staci
    That's true. I do like my different genres but I never try anything new outside them. So for once I did

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, very orignial story line! I've always enjoyed the Amish lifestyle and I enjoy reading books based on them...but this one is just interesting. Amish and Vampires?! How crazy. Awesome job on the author for going out on a limb...I might just have to check it out to see how it's completely done.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Deanna
    It just has to be read to be understood cos yes vamps and the Amish, lol, you just gotta love that

    ReplyDelete
  34. The Amish and vampires. That is definitely a different concept. This is one I wouldn't mind trying.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP