Wednesday 3 August 2011

Review: Deceived by the Others - Jess Haines

They're here, and they're real . . . werewolves, vampires, mages, and other creatures of the night. For New York P.I. Shiarra Waynest, taking care of Others business started out as a way to stay solvent. But now business is getting very, very complicated . . . 

Shiarra's relationship with sexy werewolf Chaz may be somewhat unconventional. Still, after a few bumps, Shia is finally ready to get serious. That means meeting family-or in this case, bringing Chaz's entire werewolf pack along for a rollicking full-moon weekend in the Catskills. Soon after they arrive, threatening notes appear, warning Chaz to go home. Then their cabin is ransacked. Shia starts digging to find out whether it's the work of upstart teenaged werewolves or something more sinister. Yet as rumors about her vampire connections arouse the pack's hostility, Shia has to contend with other dangers. Not just from an adversary about to make his fatal intentions known, but from a threat that's even closer than she knows .  

My thoughts:
Omg, I really should not start like that but I just have to tell you all how I felt when I turned the page and realized this book ended. It was with shock because I wanted more and instead there was this huge cliffhanger that I can't tell you about. I can just say that it is really exciting, scary, horrible and just great. She is an evil author and I seriously want book 4 right now.

But ok that was the end; I need to go back first. Shiarra and Chaz go on a vacation so she can get friendly with his pack. I never liked Chaz that much, ok he was a nice boyfriend but I never was on his team and after this, I still am not. Is that bad or good, just read and find out. And poor Shiarra can't catch a break because someone does not want them up there. One of the pack, someone else? Aye that is the mystery in this book and things will heat up.

I would love to say why this book had me all fired up, that would mean one huge spoiler. I will just tell you that something will happen and it will be big. It will make you feel things and yes I am being really evil with hints like this but it just had me gripping the book so hard.

This book had another feel to it since there other books have had things leading up to a big showdown, while this one had  smaller show downs. And it was just as good.

I am just being way too mysterious. But ok let me say this. The book had some good action, mystery, insights into Others and more. We meet Royce again, and I do like him because he is always the quiet gentleman in a way. He does not take a step towards her if she does not want it. I think he could be a very good friend, and ally is always good to have.

I just love how easy these are to read and the pages just fly by.

Conclusion:
*bites nails* When does book 4 come out? I need to know what happens! The thing is that even if everything ended kind of quiet there is still this big elephant in the room. I will certainly read book 4 and I hope you will do to.

Rating:
Heart wrenching

Cover:
Yay a good one

Series: H & W Investigations 3
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Pages: 352
Published: July 2011
Publisher: Zebra
Source: For review

39 comments:

  1. This is a series I really need to start! I can't believe it affected you so much and you will be counting down the days until book 4 releases...eek. I should maybe wait to start this one till that one comes out. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL..I liked this one too..great series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your enthusiasm is contagious! I'm glad I accepter book one for review, this way I have to start this series and by your review, that is no hardship, at all! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I really want to read this ending:) Cliffhangers frustrate me, but at the same time they make me want to get my hands on the next book asap which is the point:) I need to read these books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a great series! I haven't heard of it before but I do like the sound of it. And you being all mysterious makes me want to check it out even more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chaz needs his balls ripped off.

    Ahem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't you hate it when you get so emotionally involved and then bam....you must wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Deanna
    From what I am hearing now, perhaps early 2012 so you got all that time to read all 3 books ;) Because I just need to know what happens!!! Eeeek

    @Mandi
    It sure is :D


    @Leontine
    I do hope you fall too, I thought it just got better and better and then it exploded here.


    @Jenny
    This cliffhanger, oh man. It was just so nerve wrecking. I really need to know what happens. So good

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't deal too well with cliffies so I might have to wait until the whole series is complete until I pick it up and it certainly sounds like there is a lot to enjoy about the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cliffhangers piss me off. I've stopped reading a series or two because of cliffhangers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Books that leave you wanting more are the best! Great review and hope the next one comes out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another series...I might wait until the fourth books is released. A great review, I like when you are becoming so passionate about a novel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, I really want to get into this series, but I'm so not reading this book without #4! Cliffies! ARGH! Death to cliffies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Mari
    Hihi, I have to be mysterious. I just feel like anything I say is a spoiler. There is just so much happening that I can't tell you about....but read it ;)


    @KT
    I am all in for that


    @Staci
    Something was happening, I turned the page and blank...omg. I was so involved so yes I hate that. But it sure made me want to read the next one


    @Missie
    I am the worst cliff hater ever. Trust me. There is this one book I really want to read but there is a big cliffie there so I stay away

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chris
    Oh no, I hope you will go back them. But I know the feeling. Here it just could not be resolved that easy at once


    @Jenny
    I will have to wait a while, but I guess it will be worth it since I liked the book


    @Ana
    Lol, thank you :) I just feel like I ramble on, but then that is how I show passion


    @Melissa
    Hehe, yes death to cliffies! But read it, seriously read it

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cliffhangers are evil! But it's good when you can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooo, now I can't wait to read book 2 and 3!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hate huge cliffhangers. It really pisses me off. I can't do this one but I hope book 4 comes out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the cover, but that will be it for me. I'm not a cliffhanger person LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ok, this review settles it. I'm giving this series another chance.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just read book 2. Quite liked it. Now I am very curious about book 3...but your comments about needing book 4 quickly make me nervous to read it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  22. Reading your reviews this series is sounding better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  23. As evil as the ending is... must have gripped you in the best ? worst ? way possible. I can feel the anxiety emanating from your review.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Elysium
    So very evil, but yes they do want us more and it was not like some cliffhangers who are just diabolical.


    @Mel
    I just saw that I had put book 1 on this one *headdesk* Lol, I never notice things ;) But yay enjoy the rest


    @Alexis
    Trust me I hate them too but if the book is good I can be forgiving.

    @Laurie
    Lol, I do not think any of us really are

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Bukcy
    Yes please do :) *fingers crossed*


    @Julie
    Hihi, it is just....ok I can't say, but you must read it and you will feel it too


    @£Jenny
    I am glad it does :D


    @Steph
    Oh yes best way possible, it shook me and I just said wtf!?! Mostly with cliffhangers I am just annoyed but here I just need the next one

    ReplyDelete
  26. aww, i don't really like it when there's a cliffhanger at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Another raving review about this series! I promise I will read them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I haven't read any of this books, but after your review I guess I need to start with book one as soon as possible.
    "it is really exciting, scary, horrible and just great" After that for sure I have to read them.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Carrie
    I hear you :/

    Aurian
    yes do do do :D

    Cat
    Lol, I just wish I could tell you all what happens but my lips are sealed

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ooooh, this does sound good. I've been looking for another good vampire, werewolves series since losing interest in Hamilton's books. Maybe this one could fit the bill.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Darlene
    Ohhhhh do give this one a try since it got all that :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sounds like a blast but that cliffhanger is pure torture!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ooohhh man.... Another series I need to get going on! And I have the first book here but keep running out of time! Thanks. But it might be best to wait for book four with an ending like this one. :) Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. LOL..you crack me up! I don't know if my heart could take cliffhangers! You are seriously making me want to check this series out.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Alyssa
    I know! Evil, evil, evil, but at least she made sure I need the next book ;)


    Melissa
    Start reading at once :D Lol, you got time until book 4 comes out


    Ing
    Hihi
    YAY
    That is my goal in life, that and having someone to discuss what happened in this book. Cos so big

    ReplyDelete
  36. I started book one but could only get a few pages in b/c the main character was so unlikable. Does she get nicer?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Jen
    I cant say cos I liked her from the star :/ Maybe if you say why you did not like her

    ReplyDelete
  38. 'werewolves, vampires, mages, and other creatures of the night'-Sounds fantastic!

    p.s. I like your small banner at the end of your posts :)

    p.p.s for some reason I can't view the book covers with your reviews. They are being blocked by the book blurb. Maybe it's my computer settings?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks Naida :D I got it from my blogger angel

    Oh? Hm.....I should ask everyone else if they have the same problem

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP