Wednesday 10 August 2011

Review: Unlocked - Courtney Milan

Series: Turner 1,5
Genre: Historical romance
Pages: 111 (ebook)
Published: May 2011
Source: My own shelf
  
A perpetual wallflower destined for spinsterhood, Lady Elaine Warren is resigned to her position in society. So when Evan Carlton, the powerful, popular Earl of Westfeld, singles her out upon his return to England, she knows what it means. Her former tormenter is up to his old tricks, and she’s his intended victim. This time, though, the earl is going to discover that wallflowers can fight back. Evan has come to regret his cruel, callow past. At first, he only wants to make up for past wrongs. But when Elaine throws his initial apology in his face, he finds himself wanting more. And this time, what torments him might be love…

 My thoughts.
This was a short novella that had so much to offer. It dealt with something that I sure have not seen a lot of in historical romances before. And yes it seems to be a part of a series but it works well as a stand alone since I do not even know where it fits in the series.

The story was just wonderful and heartbreaking. Elaine was happy and sure of herself but her first season was horrible as she was being bullied and she become the eternal spinster that people made fun of, all because she sounded like a horse when she laughed. The person that started it all was Evan, he did not mean to since he actually liked her but it all went to hell, and they truly broke her down until she was a shadow of her former shelf. So yes my heart truly ached for poor Elaine as she hated the ton.

But this book takes place years after when Evan comes back since he ran away so he did not have to face what he had done. He wants to make amends but Elaine does not want to trust him, and who can blame her.

Could I have forgiven Evan? I do not know, he hurt her so badly and made her life hell. I am not going to say what happen but since we all know there is a HEA, I can only say that I forgave him bit by bit. He is truly heartbroken over what he done and the things he does now, well, my heart did melt.

Conclusion:
This was a truly wonderful novella that I do recommend to all historical romance fans. It is a look at the scene back then and how words could break someone, so much that no one wanted to touch you afterwards. If Milan always writes like this then I do want more.

Rating: 
Wonderful

Cover:
Ok

31 comments:

  1. Courtney Milan is one of my favorites! I'll read pretty much anything she writes. I liked this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, this one sounds so good!! i really love the books that i have read by her. I prob won't read this one anytime soon since it's ebook only though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh I didn't know she wrote a novella in this series! I loved Unveiled so I need to read this! I like that Evan works his way into your heart little by little:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel so sorry for Elaine just by reading your review! I'm not sure I want a HEA for her and Ethan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gah! I don't know if I'd be as forgiving to Evan. Why must men always run away from their problems? Not cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I can see almost the whole cover this time, just not the last half of the authors last name and below.

    I like the premise, and that he really has to work for it, to be forgiven. Don't believe I have read anything by this author yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing that she pack so much in a novella. Glad they got their HEA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this sounds sooo good! I've never read anything from this author and I love the cover. I'm you 550 follower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Courtney Milan is one of the authors who still make me read historical romance!! Need to catch up on this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful? Hmmm...if I find something of this author I might be tempted, fluff or no fluff.
    Elaine should have murdered Evan and ransacked his manor. Aren't I a little ray of sunshine today? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got lots more romances to read and a couple of historicals. I really need to add her books to my wishlist. Perhaps if I read more than one book I will like Evan? Hopefully. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Mary
    It was so good and the subject, wow, I truly like that she dealt with that in a book like this


    @Carrie
    Aye, sadly it is :( Maybe it will be put in an anthology one day


    @Jenny
    Yes, it's really new :D If you liked unveiled then I am sure you will fall for this one too


    @Mel
    Oh but after reading this one you will, I promise


    @Missie
    I know, he was an ass, trust me. But damn I forgave that asshole

    @Aurian
    Yes sorry about that, did not have enough info before it

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Alyssa
    I was truly happy :D


    @Mrs Q
    Hi 'waves*
    Wohoo 550! Good number.


    @Leontine
    I must read more by her because the things she dealt with, amazing


    @Ana
    bad you! Stand in the corner, you will not rain on my fluffy love parade.

    But yes she could at least have kicked him in the balls


    @Melissa
    Hm, dunno if he is in book 1, I just do not know.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, this does sound good. And while I normally don't read novellas I think I'll make an exception for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. *waves weakly*

    Rough week here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review as always. I haven't heard of the author but she sounds like one I should watch for.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds like a great novella. Nice review! I always enjoy a story that is both wonderful and heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just borrowed the first book in this series after buying this novella! Have heard really good things about all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. sounds like one that I should've downloaded when I had the chance!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't read anything by Courtney Milan yet but if you rated her wonderful then I must give her a try!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awwww this sounds like an adorable book.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm drawn to the fact that there's so much story going on in a novella-length book so it sounds like it would be a fast, fun read. And I love that splendid red gown on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Simcha
    I usually do not like them either cos you always feel like you missed something but here, well she is just that good

    Poor Chris!
    hang in there


    @Dana
    I do want to try more books by her


    @Naida
    So heartbreaking, poor girl.


    @marg
    It sure made me wanna read that first story too, I hope I will one day

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Staci
    Yes you should have ;)


    @Patti
    Yes yes you must!


    @Carole
    Lovely and hard to read


    @Steph
    Fast, fun, heartbreaking, tough, so many feelings in this one


    @Alexis
    They are a must :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. This one sounds terrific! :-D I'm putting it on my TBR list right now! GREAT REVIEW. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Deanna
    It was just so marvellous and sad

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds like a nice little tide over here. :) Nice review. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've just finished a historical romance. I don't read a lot of them but I'm in the the mood for them at the moment and Unlocked does sound great. I haven't read anything by Courtney Milan so thanks for the recommendation :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This sounds good. Not sure I want to get started in another series. I have the tendency to buy them all even if I won't read them for a long time. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Melissa
    It was a truly a good novella


    Teddy
    It was my first and hopefully not my last. She just have this different air over her stories so do check them out


    Darlene
    I hear you ;)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP