Friday 5 August 2011

Review: Midnight Brunch at Casa Dracula - Marta Acosta

Hip, funny Milagro de los Santos thinks she's finally found love and a home at the California ranch of fabulous Oswald Grant and his urbane relatives, who have a rare genetic disorder that some call vampirism. But Milagro is bewildered when she's excluded from an ancient and mysterious midnight ceremony whose participants include Oswald's unfriendly parents, a creepy family elder, and Milagro's ex-lover, the powerful and decadent Ian Ducharme. What skeletons are the vampires keeping in their designer closets?
When Milagro's life is threatened by a rogue family member, she flees to the desert to hide. Instead of solitude, she encounters an egomaniacal actor, a partying heiress, a sly tabloid reporter, and a lavish spa full of dark secrets -- all of which might help her find a way home.


Edit: I had meant to save this review and put it in a 2 for 1 review but a few weeks ago I realized that I had totally forgotten about that. So here is the review before I forget about it again. I am just so happy that I actually wrote it back then at once cos else I would have been in trouble.

My thoughts:
I have said it before that PNR is seldom a genre that makes me really like a book, but to every rule there are exceptions. And Acosta is one of those. Her funny PNR books are just the best.

Milagro is still having trouble with her new family. The whole "we are not vampires, we have a genetic disorder" also still throws her for a loop. But as always Milagro is fun, quirky and a great heroine. I truly like her. I can't say the same for her boyfriend. Sure Oswald is nice and all but I do not have any particular feelings for him and I do wish he would stand up more for her. Especially when she met his wasp parents who does not think she is good enough. But who cares cos there is Ian. Oh he is delicious! I love him to pieces since he is all dark and mysterious and gives her gifts. Oh please Milagro run away with him! But no she likes her boyfriend. At least it gives us some great tension.

This book then, well she feels excluded again since they do not want her in on their secrets. And someone wants her dead. Quite a few things will happen. There will be danger, new things to get under control and fun flirting.

Conclusion:

All in all this is a great paranormal romance that I would recommend to everyone. Fun and light, just the way I want it


Series: Casa Dracula 2
Genre: paranormal romance
Pages: 336
Published: 2007
Source: My own

 My flash fiction for this week

30 comments:

  1. This sounds like a perfect beach read (wish I had had it while I was at the beach last week)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, if she doesn't want to run off with Ian, I will. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PNR is not a genre I read unless it comes highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a huge paranormal romance fan, so I think this would be a good fit for me. And I'm with Missie, if she doesn't want Ian, I'll certainly take him off her hands:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've actually read this series up through this book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm...I might be tempted if there is a lot of humour...we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't usually like that genre either, but you've made me curious about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a good read. I know you LOVE fantasy but I missed the memo that you aren't a huge PNR fan...oops! That's something I'll have to keep in mind. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. WASP-ish in laws would be a downer for me too. Mysterious Ian looks better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @DC
    It would have been perfect for that :) I read it before beach weather though


    @Missie
    Lol, I want that too


    @Nise
    I really like this one, it's the humour, always the humour


    @Jenny
    Hey, no fighting..and Ian is of course mine!!!! ;)
    *eyes everyone closely*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chris
    really? :D


    Ana
    You know that I seldom rave about PNR...no that is not a joke, think about it. Lol, so yes this one was good


    Bermuda
    Then you and I am in the same both I usually just think it is ok


    Deanna
    Lol, true, trust me. I just never fall you know. Ok Kresley Cole is an exception, and Acosta..might be someone else too.


    Steph
    Poor girl, so waspy. And Ian *melts*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Got book 1 of this series at the back of my TBR shelves (*hangs head in shame*) Looks like I need to bump it up the queue a bit :)

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh and I just left the beach. Nice review. I want so many books, this one included.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cherry
    I know about that ;) But yes bump it up in that pile


    Alexis
    No more beach for me either :/

    ReplyDelete
  15. PNR is a nice change of pace occcasionally but I couldn't read it exclusively. However, if there is some fun I could be persauded to try the series! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not sure about this series, I have a dislike for Dracula.

    ReplyDelete
  17. this sounds like a fun paranormal romance.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a review that makes me wish I was able to enjoy romance in general. I've read a few that I could get into, but for the most part, I can't. I'll blame it on the fact that I'm a guy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have heard great things about Marta Acosta's books and have been meaning to read them. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like to read something fun and light so Acosta's books sounds good to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. fun and light is good for me!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the sound of this one. I had never heard of it. Pretty cover too. Off to add to TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A new dracula romance! :) Sounds like a nice read. :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Mel
    I could not read it either all the time. But I like it now and again, and especially the funny kind.


    @Aurian
    No Dracula in this way, she only calls it that cos of the vamps


    @Naida
    It was ;)


    @Ryan
    Lol, well you do have that excuse to fall back on. Still kind of sad since there are a good books out there. But hey even I think there is too much romance on paranormal books ;)


    @Simcha
    Do give them a go :) She is so funny. I have book 3 so I will read that one soon too I hope

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Mari
    I think you would enjoy them


    @Staci
    It's the best!


    @Carrie
    It was :D


    @Karen
    Yay, I hope you give it a go soon

    @Melissa
    Though No Dracula in sight

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi, Blodeuedd,

    What a delightful surprise to get a Google Alert for your review of Midnight Brunch! I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

    I don't really think of my books as paranormal romance, but comedies-of-manners, or romantic comedies with lots of chaos, confusion, charming villains, eccentrics, and flirting. And, of course, there's a party that gets out of control. (My stories always have parties that get out of control and I don't know what that says about my life.)

    I do think you'll be very happy with Milagro's fabulously happy ending at the conclusion of the series, Haunted Honeymoon.

    Thanks again for taking the time to read and review my books!

    Marta

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Marta :)
    I like that cos yes they are sure not straight cut PNR, I have such a hard time classifying books some time. And this series is one of a kind.

    Ohhhh, you got me so curious now! I am going to read book 3 this fall and then get book 4. And then it's over :/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi, B, my books are not easy to categorize because I like to cross over lines and genres. After you read book 3, if you like it and want book four, send me an email and I'll mail a copy to you. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That would be so sweet Marta :D ok, because you said that I will read it a bit earlier than planned ;)

    Initially I almost read it right after book 2 but I knew I could not get book 4 at once so waited. But I so need to know what happens.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP