Tuesday 16 August 2011

Review: Bath Tangle - Georgette Heyer

Genre: Historical romance
Pages: 368
Published: July 1st 2011 (1955)
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Source: From the publisher

 Two temperamental hearts in the glittering Regency might be lucky enough to have a second chance at love!

Lady Serena Carlow's eccentric father left her guardianship to the man she jilted, and now Ivo, the Marquis of Rotherham has complete control over her! Serena is displeased to say the least. But when she spends time with the Marquis, she can't help but wonder if the feelings stirred up are sheer aggravation or of a more tender nature...

My thoughts:
What a mess, or should I say tangle. I can't spoil anything but it gets messy when people fall in love, or think they are in love. The title sure suits the book.

Serena has quite the temper and is not afraid to say what she thinks. She is a real whirlwind. I can't help to like her because she is just so different. She moves to Bath with her step-mum, who is younger and a very timid thing. Fanny can't see any faults with Serena (and trust me, she does have faults.) Then we have Rotherham who is an ogre, but then his temper does suit Serena as they yell at each other and call each other things. They used to be engaged but that did not work out. I am not sure about Rotherham because I do feel at times that he is not a gentleman, but then again, oh I can't tell you, the plot has to be read or else I will spoil things.

Moving on to secondary characters. Major Kirkby who is, yes what is he? Just smitten and not much of a personality. Young Emily who plays the part of the brainless beauty. Mr Goring, who we do not see much of at all but who seems to be the only true gentleman and he has a brain.

People will get engaged, people will fall in love, worship others and in the end all will end well and those who should be together will be together. But the way there is long and there will be misunderstandings, elopements, engagements, and general craziness. Because this was after all a time when you did not say what you felt and people in love have always been idiots.

Again it amuses me when she uses a certain sentence, how someone made violent love to another. That has me giggling like crazy since that only means kissing. I do hope she uses the word in all her books and I will continue to be amused by all the silly little things.

Another fun Heyer book where for once they may act very proper but Serena and Rotherham sure do not talk like that all the time. Quite shocking.

I guess it was a bit of Persuasion mixed with Emma over it all.

Conclusion:
Very sweet and it did have me worried if the right people would get each other.

Rating:
nice

Cover:
ok


PS. Do not forget that today is Heyer's birthday and that Sourcebooks is having this great e-book promotion (check earlier post)


22 comments:

  1. Ha! I agree, Love does make you an idiot.

    And now you have me curious about the terms that were used. I'm on board for anything that makes me giggle.

    P.S. I loved visiting Bath. The experience was surreal. I hope to be able to do it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Blodeuedd, I really need to re-read some of my Heyers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to pick up one of Heyer's books again. I've read them all, but it's been a while. One thing I love about her books is that for the most part her heroes and heroines have different characters and different stories. They're not cookie cutter. And after all these years she's still popular!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heyer is not my favourite author. Everything always ends well. I would like to visit Bath myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Missie
    Such idiots!

    There are so many fun ones, ok they are not fun, they just have another meaning now ;)

    Ohhhh I wanna go too


    @Aurian
    Yes you do :D
    Alas, now I only got one more, an ebook


    @Edie
    I do like that about her, still popular, and I love the sweetness of them.

    And yes they are all very different


    @AnA
    Lol, well that is what is so good about them..but ok with the last book, too well I agree

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and they are on sale at amazon too!

    Oh this sounds like a good romance book. I think I need to pick this one up!

    Oh lets all go to Bath. Hm... why does that sound odd? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mixed with Emma? Emma from Jane Austen? oooh, then I must get it. It's like one of my favourite books EVER. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melissa
    Lol, it does sound a bit strange. And now I want a bathtub so I could take a bath, a real one :)


    Nina
    Aye, there were similarities..kind of :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are loving these Heyer books! I need to get back on the bandwagon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I first read the title I didnt think it meant Bath the place so thought that it was a weird name for a regency book. Sounds like Heyer's books are all so good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am reading this one now myself :) Glad you ejoyed it!
    'a bit of Persuasion mixed with Emma over it'<- very nicely said!
    Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love the title of this one: BATH TANGLE. I have not read this one yet.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember wondering what the title means when I first saw this book ;)

    And all those ebook deals makes me want to buy the reader...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loaded up on some Heyer mysteries Monday afternoon. Thanks for the heads-up post last week, Blodeuedd.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A mix of Persuasion and Emma? Well then I'm adding it to my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Amused
    They are just so adorable :)


    @carrie
    It was :)


    @Chris
    *waves back*


    @Jenny
    Lol, well yes if you do not think of Bath then this is one freaky title

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Naida
    I can't wait to see what you think later


    @Marybelle
    And the title fits so well :D


    @Elusium
    Makes me want one too! But I spent the money on new glasses :(


    @Kaye
    I hope you enjoy them!


    @Anna
    Lol, yes it sure felt like that at times

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds wonderful! I didn't buy it but now I think I ought to!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mhmm, sounds like a good book. I love me some love messes/triangles. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great review! I was looking through all the Heyer books yesterday. Some of the titles are just great. I've only read a few of hers but I enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP