Saturday 24 March 2012

Friday Fiction Flash on Saturday + ebook deals

Dottie over at Tink's Place has come up with the idea for a Monday Morning Flash Fiction challenge.  Each Monday a new picture prompt will be posted and if you choose to  participate - you post your story on Friday - 350 words, give or take. 

So come on over and join us! It's fun.

(pic has been removed: couple kissing)

Winter and Summer
by Blodeuedd

She was the Summer Princess, fair and true. He was the Winter Prince, cold and harsh. But then the seelie and unseelie courts have always been opposites in every way. The Summer folk liked dancing and kissing. The Winter court liked war and rules. They did not mix as they had nothing in common. Neither did they fight each other as the Winter Fairies would have slaughtered the peacelovers at with one strike.

But every spring and fall they met and gave over the spire of Season. The Summer court was in full bloom when the Winter Court rode in. With unfeeling eyes they looked down at the bright colors and the laughter and frolicking going on. And Summer rolled their eyes at the strict Winter court who all had a rod up their asses.

The Ceremony was long and dull, even to the Winter Court. The priests went on and on. And as always they spoke of the one to come. The Child of Winter and Summer who would rule over both courts and change everything. The child who would take back the Dark Lands from the Sidhe who stole them long ago. It was then the young Summer princess looked over and caught the eye of the Winter prince. She smiled as her people always did and he, for a moment he looked beyond the silliness of her kind and saw her beauty and strength.

During the dinner Summer made her escape to the hills she loved and danced in the pale moonlight. Winter defied the rules and went to explore. There he saw her, dancing and laughing and his cold heart jumped for a moment. He went up to her and looked into her eyes as she stopped and fell into his arms with a laugh. She had never had a Winter Man to her bed and took the chance. For one who liked control he showed it well and it was nothing like the Boys of Summer. Even if it did feel a bit unfeeling he took her where she wanted to go. And without having uttered a word they lay there while the moon looked down upon them. Winter felt a spark starting to grow within her and pondered the consequences. A child of winter and summer. Uniting them both? He knew well that Winter wanted the Dark Lands back, and the Fields of Glory. But now, not now. So he smiled and she looked up with surprise and smiled too. A smile that slowly faded as he took the dagger and plunged it into her belly. Then he left her there, bleeding and alone. That is what he got for defying the rules.


-----------------

I meant them to have a kid, be happy and the courts would go to war one day. But hey, those who know my flashes from LJ know very well that I am dark ;)

............................


eBook Deals from Sourcebooks

Or go to your fav ebook retailer





26 comments:

  1. Oh dear, call it a dramatic ending. My flash is somehow also deadly - and I posted it on my blog as well.

    I think I am back whether you like it or not ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very happy to see you back! *does the happy dance*

      And we do love it deadly

      Delete
  2. Darnnit. I do prefer happy endings. Nicely done though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi B!

    I love the idea of Summer and Winter coming together.... makes me want to write the flash I was thinking of... we must have all been on the same page, I was thinking fae too!

    I've been trying to get everything ready for RT, can't believe it only 3 wks away (that also means that I've been trying to finish editing my YA MS that I've been playing with.) Have the bug to write the flash now :)

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OHHH RT :D And your YA MS. Keep on writing! I totally wanna say that I know an author :)

      And you're welcome

      Delete
  4. oh, and thanks for spotlighting me!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. aa! it started out so sweet, i should have known it wouldn't end well :) Very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your story Blod, I do prefer unhappy endings. "And Summer rolled their eyes at the strict Winter court who all had a rod up their asses"<-I love that line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I write these flashes I seem to enjoy unhappy endings too :)

      Delete
  7. EVIL! So evil! ;)

    Well, this at least saved you from the whip! :) That poor girl. I wonder if she will survive and exact revenge? Hm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I did say that she just lay there bleeding ;) I do hope someone finds her and she will kick his ass to kingdom come

      Delete
  8. I love your writing and creativity!! I so wish I could do that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha "rods up their asses" & I'm a fan of the dark side!! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. "And Summer rolled their eyes at the strict Winter court who all had a rod up their asses."

    LOVE it! I also loved the dark ending. :D Fantastic. I should check this out and maybe throw my writings into the ring. *contemplates*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Do join us Carol :D It's fun and it's only 350 words

      Delete
    2. :D I think I shall then!

      Delete
  11. Oh so mean! She couldn't fight back? Geez, she should have known the Winter man would have done.

    Oh well.

    Wonderful flash as always! I do want to do a dark one again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well he took her by surprise. And who knows, maybe she will live to fight another day

      Yes go dark!! :D

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP