Sunday 18 March 2012

Review: The Future Perfect - Kirk Mustard

Vonnegut and Douglas Adams rewrite Brave New World and find The Future Perfect 
Published: 2010
Genre: Sci-fi parody meets dystopian satire
Review by Lis

Good science attempts to save the planet from bad science. A funny, insightful look at humanity, its destiny and relationship to the Earth. When the Earth's last wildlife preserve is destroyed and the planet is dying, society turns to a fictional animal to make things right again.
----------------------

The Future Perfect by Kirk Mustard is something new. Well it was for me. It's not the kind of book I usually read, but something in me couldn't refuse it when B. offered it to me.  It's also not an easy book to review. Not that I didn't like it, but more that it's one of those books you actually have to read for yourself to fully understand it.

The Future Perfect is a book that is a cross between Douglas Adams and Wall-E. It's a future of earth where mass consumption has become so massive that there is nothing else. Set in this world are several characters that live in this absurd world and you get to see how they go about their days. All the while this books explores some heave themes in a satirical manner. Central in this book is the theme of science and how it has taken over every aspect, even our afterlives. There is no nature, everything has been stripped.

It was both fun and scary reading this book. The mind of this author must be a scary and brilliant place to come up with some of the things in this book (trying not to give too much away here, so stay with me).  It's funny, evoking and scary at the same time.

The only thing that really bothered me about this book was how badly edited it was. There are many a typo and grammatical errors that could have made this story perfect.

Despite that, The Future Perfect is one of those books you just have to have read. So go on, off to the store with you!



12 comments:

  1. I don't know, reading from your review, it sounded to me like kinda scary...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These type of reads do creep me out a little bit. The poor editing would annoy me though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A comparison to Douglas Adams sounds very promising - but I'd have to be in a specific mindset to read that kind of style book. But scary, brilliant mind is attracting me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked Wall-E so perhaps...fun and scary sometimes work well together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Lis for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmm, I really find it annoying if there are a lot of misspelled words in a book I am reading. I am wondering if this is from the wonderful world of spell check. I know on my phone it changes the word completely. Interesting sounding book however.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shoot - I can't stand books that aren't well edited.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad that Lis enjoyed it. Not my cup of tea but hey.....still fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm, sounds good. :) I haven't seen Wall-E yet though. But still sounds very good. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not my kind of read, but glad you enjoyed it. I do hate typo's and such in my books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kudos for going out on a limb for this one. Sounds interesting but all those typos and things will annoy the crap out of me :) great review Lis.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks all for stopping by :) Sure glad to have Lis over again

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP