Tuesday 27 March 2012

Review: Stakes and Stilettos - Michelle Rowen

Newly vamped Sarah Dearly wants her normal life back, but fate is fighting against her. She tries to get a regular job and gets staked in the interview, only to be rescued by a masked vampire who calls himself the Red Devil. Then a wallflower-turned-witch curses her, making her a bloodthirsty, sun-allergic nightwalker--the worst vampire there is. As if all that weren't enough, she can't get married because her 600-year-old boyfriend, Thierry, is in a centuries-long marriage of convenience he can't escape.

As Sarah's nightwalker tendencies make her more dangerous, even to those she loves, she'll have to counteract that curse, unmask the increasingly intriguing Red Devil, and get a commitment from her man. But if that's what it takes to secure her happiness, Sarah is ready...even if it means embracing her inner vamp to do it.

Series: Immortality Bites #4, Genre: Paranormal romance, Pages: 384, Published: March 2012 (2009), Publisher: Gollancz, Source: For review

My thoughts: 
I do talk about my series OCD sometimes, and here I made a mistake, that in the end turned out great. I thought this was one of those normal PNR series, you know, a new couple in each. Since I did check the previous books, or perhaps I dreamed it. Anyway, my point is that this was book 4, and all the previous books were all about Sarah. Still it worked, cos of the beginning I thought this was her "book 1", and first when something was mentioned that happened 2 weeks ago I thought, huh..that would have made a cool book. Which it obviously was too ;)

It worked so well on it's own. I was never lost. I came into their relationship with fresh new eyes. Sarah, a new vampire who is in love with Thierry, a old vampire who is rich and hot. What is there not to like? She has also given him a new will to live and love. They seem good for each other.

Sarah is fun and has a bit of an reputation, Slayer of Slayers. Which is so untrue, poor girl is not a Hunter Slayers, but they think so. Quite amusing in a way. I also liked the world, vampires are hidden, and hunters hunt them. Which is so unfair, because most vampires are nice, drink blood from glasses and hide among the rest of the populace. They can walk in the sun and they are just like the rest of us. Almost.

It was fun and light and I liked the few flashbacks there were, where we got to see a bit of Thierry's past. There was a nice cast of people and in the end, well start with this one, start with another one or start at the beginning :) Though at least in this one there is a tiny cliffie. All is good, kind of.

Conclusion:
I do like my PNR light and nice. Good paranormal books should be easy to read just like this one and just like I like it. And while reading you just relax and let yourself be swept away.

Cover
Meh


45 comments:

  1. Good review :) I have the author's newest book in her new series sitting on my kindle I'll have to read this series by her to by the looks of it.
    - Kimberly @ Turning The Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her newest series? Hm, I have to go over to goodreads and have a look at that :)

      Delete
  2. LOL I read this blog... this isn't the first one you've started in the middle. Yes, you can blame me. ;)

    So glad it worked. As we were talking about PNR is easier to skip into the middle than UF. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit to nothing! And you know those are books that can be read out of order ;) Books with new couples. That is all I admit too ;)

      Delete
  3. It's definitely a good sign that despite coming into the story in the middle you weren't confused or lost. That definitely is not always the case!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was strange really cos in some books I get confused even though I have read book 1 :)

      Delete
  4. I think I have a Michelle Rowan book somewhere in my TBR - I pay dust of off and see if I can find it now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, maybe there beneath a few dust bunnies ;)

      Delete
  5. I've actually read this one! And a bunch more in the series, before I ran out of steam as the series seemed destined to run forever...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy a light nice read more often than not. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this one on my list. It looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh previous books!?! I love the looks of this book and sound of it. :) I think I need to look into these. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I went and did what other Melissa always does

      Delete
  9. Great review! I read book 3 without reading the other books and still loved it. It was really fun to read and I should start the series from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So that one worked too? Cool :D Dunno how she does it but she sure does it well

      Delete
  10. What? Where has this series been all my life. I love vampires, and stilettos, so this seems perfect for me. Plus, it just seems like good fun to pair newly turned vampire with a centuries old one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She brings back him from the dead, well not really, but he is old and cranky, haha, well it seems he might have been

      Delete
  11. That is too funny! I have been known to read a book all the way through with a nagging sense of deja vu only to realize belatedly that I've already read it. Either the story was unremarkable to begin with or I just have a terrible memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Now that is just weird, I do not know if I have done that, I might have with like a translation or something

      Delete
  12. Nice review, and I think I am going to put this series on my wishlist. Are you going to read the rest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day :) You know that one day. Lol, I better see how many there are first and if it has ended cos I do hate to wait

      Delete
  13. You know I might try this one...*evil laugh*

    ReplyDelete
  14. This seems right up my alley, especially if it was light and fun (kinda like the Molly Harper ones)! I have OCD with series too but it is good that it stood on it's own. I am going to check it out and put it on my wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This cover looks like a lot like the cover of Cinder, except that one had a robot leg. Have you seen it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes I have seen the Cinder leg and you got a point

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. testing again since blogger drives me crazy

      Delete
  17. I've heard of this author. I think I may even have a few of her books. Anyhow this series sounds good and I always like when it's the same character throughout. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds fun! When I first read the title I thought it was Steaks and Stilettos which made me laugh ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Now that would have been a fun title

      Delete
  19. Glad you enjoyed it and that it read as a standalone.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad you are enjoying this series, it does sound fun.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't read this author, I like a dark read but fun & light is nice every now & again lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you like the darker tones? Personally I stay away from those :=D I just want light..except in fantasy

      Delete
  22. I can't decide If that is a bullet hole in her ankle or not...

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP