Sunday 25 March 2012

Review: The Unit - Ninni Holmqvist

One day in early spring, Dorrit Weger is checked into the Second Reserve Bank Unit for biological material. She is promised a nicely furnished apartment inside the Unit, where she will make new friends, enjoy the state of the art recreation facilities, and live the few remaining days of her life in comfort with people who are just like her. Here, women over the age of fifty and men over sixty–single, childless, and without jobs in progressive industries–are sequestered for their final few years; they are considered outsiders. In the Unit they are expected to contribute themselves for drug and psychological testing, and ultimately donate their organs, little by little, until the final donation. Despite the ruthless nature of this practice, the ethos of this near-future society and the Unit is to take care of others, and Dorrit finds herself living under very pleasant conditions: well-housed, well-fed, and well-attended. She is resigned to her fate and discovers her days there to be rather consoling and peaceful. But when she meets a man inside the Unit and falls in love, the extraordinary becomes a reality and life suddenly turns unbearable. Dorrit is faced with compliance or escape, and…well, then what?

THE UNIT is a gripping exploration of a society in the throes of an experiment, in which the “dispensable” ones are convinced under gentle coercion of the importance of sacrificing for the “necessary” ones. Ninni Holmqvist has created a debut novel of humor, sorrow, and rage about love, the close bonds of friendship, and about a cynical, utilitarian way of thinking disguised as care. 

Genre: Dystopia
Pages: 268
Published: 2009
Publisher: OtherPress
Source: gift

My thoughts:

This book was disturbing, but in a quiet way. It felt so real, so now, so damn concerning. 

Dorrit lives in a world that changed during her lifetime. The book did make me think of Never Let Me go. With the whole aspect that it feels so now, like it could happen any day. But that some people are not really treated well and made do donate organs. Here women over 50 and men over 60 are risking to go to the Unit. They are those who have no children and because of that they are not worth much. They do not bring anything to society. Sure Dorrit is an author, but she has no close relationships. This is a world where you should be productive and work, and have kids. Of course you are not allowed to stay home with those kids, you have to work. Society also looks down on the disposables. A fair society? I think not. What if you can't have kids? What if you are not that rich? What if you have a crappy job and you try and try for an adoption? If it does not work out you have two choices. Kill yourself or go and live at the unit. Donate your organs and take part in experiments. Sure they treat you well but you are not human anymore. And I doubt this system is entirely fair for those who get the organs either. Some will always have a bigger chance. And what happens when this system is well on its way, when everyone gets those babies? It's a system that will get everyone in the end. 

Ok that was a long paragraph about the world itself. The book then, it was not that dark. The Unit is just so nice, but you see that behind the scenes these people are nothing more than test animals. I also like how real it feel, like it truly could happen. The day the government tells us they think that or this group is not as good, cos in the end that happens everyday. 

Conclusion:
For the thoughts it brought it was a good book. It made me think more than the usual type of dystopia out there.

Cover:
Eh


38 comments:

  1. Great review Blod. I enjoyed this story too, and it did feel like it could really happen. It got under my skin and creeped me out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just felt to real. And I am scared for us all

      Delete
  2. It sounds like one that would definitely get you thinking!!

    Have you read The Handmaid's Tale? A much older dystopian book... but one that doesn't seem as implausible as it once did, at least here in the US...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The politics in your country freak me out. I can't believe the things they are saying, here, oh it would so not work here.

      Nope, i did try, but the first rape scene creeped me out

      Delete
  3. Dystopians are taking over. I'm starting to read more of them but as I explore, I find some of them so distrubing because of how real they are. Books like these stick with me so much more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are the ones that are not very likely, but so entertaining and then books like this one that could happen. There are always those who think others are not worth as much

      Delete
  4. I thought this book was good too. I was 50 when I read it, so I found it pretty disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talk about disturbing! I also found it disturbing on a personal level

      Delete
  5. The book did make me think of Never Let Me go.

    I second that. I love dystopias so I would like to read this one, especially that I think I would be a perfect Unit material...yes, it sends shivers down my spine. A great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nooooo! Do not go to the Unit Ana!
      But hey, I would too be sent there in 20 years if everything would stay like this

      Delete
  6. The world sounds... interesting. And a bit creepy! Now I feel like I need to read more dystopian.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think stuff like this is happening. I just read a review on Misfit Saloon that in some parts of the world people do sell their extra organs. Hard to imagine, but true. I never read the book Never Let Me Go, but I did watch the film and I didn't quite get why those people let themselves be used that way. I was obviously missing something. But this book sounds very interesting. I like the way you described it, "disturbing, but in a quiet way."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe cos they did not known, and then because it was all the knew. It had been bred into them. Here at least it was different cos she was older, and she did have a choice. Kill herself or this.

      And yes people are selling their organs, horrible, but money is needed

      Delete
  8. Looks like the book tackles heavy weight issues in ethics and medicine...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the way you described this book and I think I really need to read it!! I should have bought it when it was a Kindle deal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still need to read Never Let Me Go, which I own but have not read. Maybe, if I like that one, I'll check this out as well. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only saw the movie and then i wished that I had read the book (even if the movie was really good)

      Delete
  11. Reminds me of Margaret Atwood's books! dystopian but quite possible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sure sounds like a strange book. And to stop working at 50 would be a dream, cause now I have to work till 67. And before I get there, I imagine that age will be 70.
    Of course, being experimented upon is not something I wish, but being able to read and relax, yes please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, work and work, don't they get that people are not getting healthier? They will just fall down dead at work.

      But to be in the Unit, no thanks. Horrible experiments, taking all your organs, no no

      Delete
  13. i hadn't seen this before, it does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The fact that it seems so nice is what made it so creepy for me! Glad you seemed to enjoy it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The niceness sure made it even more creepy!

      Delete
  15. I love Dystopia; me thinks this is one I'd enjoy!! Thanks for bringing it to my attention :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds really creepy. hmmmm - I might have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Creepy is the best and here, well it was too real

      Delete
  17. I'm intrigued by this book. I think it would be nice to read a dystopian book where the main characters aren't 16, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was certainly different and if I had been around 50, then it sure would have hit even closer to home

      Delete
  18. Mmm, I'm not much into dystopia, but this book intrigues me. Great review, of course

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you should try this one instead then _:)

      Delete
  19. I have had this book on my shelf for ages. I love the premise of it - well not love it as in it actually happening, but I like books like this. I really need to dig out my copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dig it out and take a look :) It was different then the other dystopia books that I have read

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP