Thursday 22 March 2012

Review: Compromised - Kate Noble

Miss Gail Alton is not having a good day. Or a good year. First, her new stepmother strong-arms her into attending the Season as a foil to her beautiful sister Evangeline. Then, while riding her mare in the park, she gets toppled by a stuffy, self-important, too-handsome-by-half "gentleman" who has the audacity to blame her for their fall into the chilly lake! Little does she know that the very same man will soon be found in a compromising position with Gail's sister. 

Forced into asking for Evangeline's hand in marriage, Maximillian, Viscount Fontaine, can't take his mind off the irksome girl who threw him from his horse and who can match wits with him at every turn. He's determined to follow through with his best intentions, yet he can't deny that every encounter with Gail makes him want to cast propriety aside-and whisk away the sister of his soon-to-be bride.


Genre: Historical romance,  Pages: 384,  Published: 2008,  Publisher: berkley,  Source: My own

My thoughts: 
I am going to make this short (Edit: did not work) because mostly I am just annoyed by this book. Kate Noble is an excellent writer, the book is good, fun, but the story. I did not like it one bit.

Max our hero compromises lovely Evangeline. He finds her alluring and wants to do naughty things with her. At the same time he is annoyed by her sister who he calls the brat. Ok everything seems fine, except for the fact that Evangeline is not the heroine. The Brat, also known as Gail is the heroine. Gail is smart, witty and I like her. But this whole mess annoyed me. He starts having feelings for Gail, still he plans to marry the sister and likes her looks. And when he finally gets that he loves Gail, well too little too late. I do not want to read about that. It could have worked if the bride to be had been a bitch, or not known to us. But her own sister, who does that? Shame on you Gail, shame on you Max. Sure I know the two of you are meant to be but it was gone about all wrong. I am not spoiling things when I mentioned the smexing, we all know there is smexing in HR, always. That just got me more annoyed, as if it was possible.

So sadly this book annoyed me. It was not the writing, no, it was the story. It so did not work for me, and I kind of already knew that from the start. The blurb had already told my inner booklover that the book might not be for me, but it's Kate Noble! Of course I had to get this debut book from her. She is still an autobuy, and I have found my biggest romance pet peeve.

Conclusion:
Sadly annoying :/ But do try her other books! And you might like this one too, if you do not get so worked up as I did.

Cover.
Eh


36 comments:

  1. I know I wouldn't like this one either. Not a big fan of games like that or infidelity. Nope, this one isn't for me. I'll keep her other books in mind tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is awesome! I just did not care for the story here. I mean everyone got HEAs, everyone was nice but it bothered me

      Delete
  2. Too bad it didn't work for you. Thank you for your honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That little voice did tell me no before...

      Delete
  3. I have a couple of her books on my kindle. Sorry the story didn't work for you. It happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her other books are awesome and worth reading

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Everyone, I mean Everyone! except I liked it :/

      Delete
  5. You do seem very annoyed by this book - but then I would think the sister would be very annoyed as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did not know. She felt very lifeless

      Delete
  6. The concept of this book sounds pretty cute so I'm sorry it didn't work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's tough when you like an author but one book just sets you off from an otherwise stellar book list. I had that happen to me a few months ago.
    I have a feeling this situation would annoy me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel very alone with these feelings too, everyone else liked the book. It was just me who thought the situation did not work at all

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear the story didn't work for you in this one. Hope the next is better? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was her debut and I have liked those that followed

      Delete
  9. But the cover is so darn pretty!! Too bad that the story was annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheating and infidelity are two huge turn offs for me..i have read and loved some of her other novels..great review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could perhaps have been ok with it. it's not like the sis wants him, but still, it was the way he still lusted after the sis

      Delete
  11. This story wouldn't work for me either. Stories like this are not the reasons I pick up HR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes books just annoy me more than usual

      Delete
  12. I wouldn't read this one, thanks for telling me why ;).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry you did not like this one, not sure if I would, though going for the wrong sister at first happens more often in historicals and contemporaries. I am not that much bothered by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would have worked, if he hadn't kept up the wanting her for so long

      Delete
  14. Sorry it was annoying. Thanks for the honest review. Shame on Gail for real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was also the whole smexing thing later. Who does that when they are about to marry the sister?

      Delete
  15. I don't like books about infidelity and even more when it includes sisters. That's a big no-no for me. Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's not an excuse either that they are not madly in love, it's just a no no

      Delete
  16. *smiles* Your pet peeve sounds like a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You crack me up girl! :) I haven't read any Kate Noble books. I've seen a lot of raves for her though so she's been on my "eventually to try author" list.

    I'm with you..the hero compromises the sister..like truly compromise as in stick in the hole? Cause yea that would seriously bug me that he'd compromise her like that and then get's it on with the other sister...hmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, not that much ;) But you know those old morals, it was just a kiss in the end. But that does not change the fact that he is engaged to her and then has sex with the sister

      Delete
  18. :0 I don't think I could handle this one. I get easily annoyed by stories like these. I wish the author had made the sister a huge B or completely in love with someone else. IDK. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have worked better, total bitch or loving someone else. Now it just felt, not for me

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP