Friday 23 March 2012

Review: Explosive Eighteen - Janet Evanovich

Before Stephanie can even step foot off Flight 127 from Hawaii to Newark, she’s knee deep in trouble. Her dream vacation turned into a nightmare, she’s flying back to New Jersey solo, and someone who sounds like Sasquatch is snoring in row 22. Worse still, her seatmate never returned to the plane after the L.A. layover. Now he’s dead, in a garbage can, waiting for curbside pickup. His killer could be anyone. The FBI, the fake FBI, and guns-for-hire are all looking for a photograph the dead man was supposed to be carrying.

Only one other person has seen the missing photograph—Stephanie Plum. Now she’s the target, and she doesn’t intend to end up in a garbage can. With the help of an FBI sketch artist Stephanie re-creates the person in the photo. Unfortunately the first sketch turns out to look like Tom Cruise, and the second sketch like Ashton Kutcher. Until Stephanie can improve her descriptive skills, she’ll need to watch her back.

Over at the Bail Bonds Agency it’s business as usual—until the bonds bus serving as Vinnie’s temporary HQ goes up in smoke, Stephanie’s wheelman, Lula, falls in love with their “largest” FTA yet, lifetime arch nemesis Joyce Barnhardt moves into Stephanie’s apartment, and everyone wants to know what happened in Hawaii?! Morelli, Trenton’s hottest cop, isn’t talking about Hawaii. Ranger, the man of mystery, isn’t talking about Hawaii.  And all Stephanie is willing to say about her Hawaiian vacation is . . . It’s complicated.

Series: Stephanie Plum #18, Genre: Chick-lit mystery bla blah, Pages: 305, Published: 2011, Publisher: Random House, Source: Library

My thoughts:
I do not even know how to write this review, cos I got nothing nice to say. Still would I read book 19? Hell yeah! They might annoy me to death, but they are like crack cocaine.

Already back at book 12 I started sighing, but I read on. But shit hit the fan in this one. I was annoyed and then some more. FBI agents would not be so callous.  Stephanie is clearly an idiot, sure I already knew this but come on?! Who gets their car stolen time after time? She is also a horrible cheater, yes I knew this too but Morelli, please leave her. No man should be with a woman who cheats on him time after time. She did see a tiny bit of light in this one as she gets that Ranger would never be the man for her, but just choose and deal! I just feel sorry for Morelli, who by the way felt like an robot in this one.  I am bored by the drama. We get it, you can't pick a man, no need to rub it in our faces, no need to constantly be on a break from Morelli, and sniff Ranger's hair.

Did anything new happen? Nope Stephanie failed as a bond agent. Grandma went to a funeral, Ranger said babe, Morelli was busy, Lula tried to be cool, and a lot of baddies were after Stephanie. And I am supposed to believe that she survives? Oh please, someone would have killed that idiot ages ago.

I even got bored and felt like skimming. Before the books have at least gotten a smile from me. It used to be laughs, then smiles, now..nothing. I was numb and irritated.

Conclusion:
But I will still read book 19, like I said before, they are addictive. But as they just get worse and worse, my patient is starting to run out. I was bored by everything and everyone. The formula is stale. The same old same old wont cut it anymore. I am miserable! You are not supposed to feel like that after a book.

Cover
Whatever


44 comments:

  1. I never felt drawn to this series myself. I'm sorry you are disappointed with the book (and series).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It used to be good, but like so many other books it should have ended long ago

      Delete
  2. My blog post on this book was very similar. They've become too predictable, I HATE the love triangle, and quite frankly, if she can't choose, she doesn't love either of them and needs to start fresh. Another series bites the dust.

    I tried the new one, that mostly a romance that she wrote with another writer. It was like Stephanie Plum in a different setting. Get some originality!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other one? Not the Diesel one? Cos omg that ony truly sucked. Just as it sucked when he showed up in the In between novels. I know PNR is hot but that does not belong in the Plum word and it felt like another guy for her to like.

      But yes forget about them both, we are so over it

      Delete
  3. LOL, I love your review. I stopped reading the series after #8 and only reviewed a few of them because every review was the same!! BUT, I listened to a 'between the numbers' Stephanie Plum and really liked the narrator. I resolved to only listen to the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that the between novels are even worse. Those were never funny to me, and skim worthy. And then she brought in pnr and I was like all hell no!

      Delete
  4. I get what you're saying. I can't decide if I want to read this one or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't say know, even though I know they will suck

      Delete
  5. I so agree with your thoughts. I am tired of her being such an idiot, not being able to choose her man, but I will read the next book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is TSTL. I hate to say it. it used to be funny but now it's just pathetic

      Delete
  6. I definitely can live without Steph Plum. Love triangle, a stupid female lead who cheats on her beloved, a stale plot formula - sounds like a perfect series to miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty sure you would hate it. I hate it..I just can't stop

      Delete
  7. So sorry this didn't work for you - I hate it in one book when when a girl can't decided between men - let alone over so many books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup she has been going forth and back for 18 books. She has been in a relationship, guess she still is and yawn, it just to be fun. Ohh Ranger he is so hot,do him! But now, it's just sad

      Delete
  8. I read the first two in this series. I'm shocked at how many books there are.
    I enjoyed you honest review. I know how some books are bad but good anyway. I had no idea she starts to cheat in Morelli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has been doing it for ages. it just to be when they were on their constant breaks but it's not even like that anymore

      Delete
  9. Now I don't need to read the book - thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lolol! You're snarky, I like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL! I can't believe you are still wanting to read all of these. I love that about you! I might read the first few just to see what is addictive about it. It might end up being my cocaine tho... O.o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might just be that I think they will get better, things will change and all that. So I continue. I have not lost hope, but it sure is hanging on by a thread

      Delete
  12. I love this series, but I'm really behind on it. I'm up to #13. They do get to be a bit much, but like you, I do keep reading them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you have few to catch up on, but yes you haven't been missing much

      Delete
  13. I will start reading again when I hear that Stephanie makes some progress. I'll start with this one and catch up but i'm not going to bother until something changes. It isn't funny anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I and so many others will continue to read this series. And I will be sure to tell you if something ever changes

      Delete
  14. I haven't read this series but have heard same opinions as yours. That doesn't inspire much to start with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes many do tend to think the same and still read on

      Delete
  15. The inability to stop reading this series is an illness that we both suffer from I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know if I will ever get over this illness

      Delete
  16. Oh no! I listened to One For The Money and I thought it was a very promising start to a what looks like a fantastic series.... *anticipation deflates* (whhhoosh...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No no! It is amazing...just not through out the entire series

      Delete
  17. I stopped reading this book back in 9 or maybe earlier. The first time Stephanie cheated on Morelli I threw the book against the wall. I'm team Morelli..and loved their history. Great for you Stephanie two men vying for your heart but if you are suppose to be in a relationship with one of them don't go kissing the other dude. Seriously if you can't make up your mind don't be in a relationship...period. Play the fields. Anywhoo and she is an idiot. How she's still alive lord knows.

    Sorry but after reading your review and seeing that it's still the same ole' BS I'm glad I stopped. LOL!

    Nice review and couldn't agree with you more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be Team Morelli..I guess I still am but after all this I kind of have lost respect for him. He lets her walk all over him. I can't see the love anymore, she is just a booty call away. Cos honestly, they were not talking and he came over, slept next to her, then they had sex..but they did not discuss what had happened cos he was upset. Sheesh. That is not romance.

      And that girl would so be dead by now.

      Yup, you have not missed anything at all.

      Delete
  18. Now I know for sure I will never start this series. Being bored is a very bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had bad luck with books lately :/

      Delete
  19. Addictive like crack!! LOL...makes me howl with laughter. I feel the same way too, but I've broken up the monotony by listening to them on audio!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could get me out of this limbo I guess..well it depends on the narrator

      Delete
  20. I am only on book 3----my dad loves these books but he has gotten slower at reading them. I wonder if he feels the same way: crack vs annoyance :)

    Great review---btw! I am totally for honesty--it is what I want to know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what you get here. I can't be all yay over them when I do like them but they have worn me out. I can't stand them

      Delete
  21. I think I'll just stick to reading your reviews, they crack me up!! Thanks for the laugh, hope the next book has some redeeming features:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I am glad they do :D So yes just stick with me

      Delete
  22. Again....you are such a loyal reader! I would not have made it this far! Good luck on 19!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 19, do not even remind me, sigh, but yes I will go on

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP