Friday 2 March 2012

Review: The Three Colonels: Jane Austen's Fighting Men - Jack Caldwell

Love reigns supreme for our three brave colonels at the start of this epic tale. Colonels Fitzwilliam, Buford, and Brandon are enjoying their courtships and their early married lives with three beloved Jane Austen heroines. The couples lead tranquil lives - until Napoleon escapes from exile. While the military men set out to meet their destiny on the fields of Waterloo, Anne, Caroline, and Marianne defend their hearts against the fear of losing their loved ones.

Genre: Jane Austen variation, Pages: 384, Published: March 1, 2012,  Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark, Source: For review

My thoughts:
Now this one was a bit different from the JA books I usually read, and that is always something I approve of. I do like change.

This book is all about Colonel Fitzwilliam and the lady he loves (yes yes we can all figure it is Anne), Colonel Brandon and Marianne, and Colonel Buford who falls for Caroline. Really Caroline?! That was my first thought, but if Darcy can change then so can Caroline and she does change. She actually becomes a really sweet person and I liked her. Which I never thought would happen.

I felt that the book was mostly about Buford and Caroline, then came Fitz and Anne and last the Brandons. But then these two were settled and happy so no drama there. While there sure was drama around Anne and Richard. And of course the romance of Buford and Caroline. What was also fun was that everyone knew each other. Lizzy was friend with the Marianne and Elinor. There is a mention of Tilney and the Elliott family and I do love that. Like they all were there and could have met.

As for the story there was romance, drama and then last, Waterloo. I liked to see all the characters I love and to see new people find happiness and to hear what happened to others. One thing though, something happened that I did not like one bit, I am still a bit upset, sadly I can't say what. Then again another thing also happened which made me really glad so I guess those two things take themselves out. And there was also a love scene that felt a bit awkward. But I have never been one for details. All in all a fun Jane Austen variation. Though even if not a colonel, I still missed Wenthworth, he is a fighting man after all.

Conclusion:
If you want more than just Lizzy and Darcy then this might be JA variation for you. Jane Austen's fighting men sure needs love too.

Cover:
Ok




38 comments:

  1. I don't understand the draw of Jane Austen and never have. If this would read as a stand alone it might be interesting, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it can be read as a stand alone, it is totally made-up after all

      Delete
  2. It does sound like a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound different from the usual JA spinoffs. Alas about the thing you didn't like. :(

    Yay for email comments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I am glad you like them, and honestly, I LOVE the reply button. Love love love it

      Delete
  4. I'll be reading this soon, and I can't wait. I think I'm going to like it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, way to make a girl curious as to what happened that you didn't like at all! At least it got canceled out for the most part by something you really enjoyed, that's always nice:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caroline, a really sweet person??? This I have got to check out for myself! It sounds like it might be one of those few Jane Austen spin offs/sequels that I will enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I know right. It sure made my eyes pop out of my head. But it all made sense

      Delete
  7. I always have trouble with Jane Austen spin off books, but your review has me wanting to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh? Well I love them :D Which is pretty obvious considering how many i read *coughs*

      Delete
  8. I have this one as well, I can't wait to read it! Glad you enjoyed it :) Too bad Wenthworth wasnt in it, now you've got me wondering what happens that you didnt' like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say, but I had to mention that one part cos it sure did not make me happy

      Delete
  9. I kind of like it when they concentrate more on the other characters once in a while. Sounds like a great one to add to my Austin variation list!

    *looks around* No flash this week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahem
      *hides*

      NOT THE WHIP!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

      Delete
  10. I just started this one. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love,love, love Jane Austen.so i am grabbing this one...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice review! I did like all of Jane Austen's characters except Caroline so maybe reading this will change my opinion of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hate Caroline, but here, I mean she befriends Mary! And likes her..

      Delete
  13. Mhmmmm, you caught my attention with this one. I did have a fainting thought like that while reading another book that mentioned the battle of Waterloo. I wonder if some of the military men in Austen's books would have done if they were there. Interesting. I'll have to check this out. ^.^ Thanks for finding this!

    BTW...Caroline...liking her? Oh my. I am a little shocked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did their best, their very best and they won the day :)

      I know, it is shocking, but it happened. She is a really good person

      Delete
  14. I wasn't sure I'd like this one so I didn't request it but I'm really glad to hear it was a fun read for you. Maybe I'll pick it up someday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice review, and it sure sounds like fun to have them all meet each other. I do wonder what those authors would write had they not found Jane Austen's books though. Would they have any inspiration at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, good question. I am sure they would have something to write about

      Delete
    2. You know, I think they would have had something to write about too. P n P left so many of us wanting more. It is such an excellent book and had so much to explore. These fine authors used their talent, their love of Jane Austen and their desire to add to the original and by doing so,give us that more we were missing! I wish I could do that but just don't have the talent. I am very thankful for those that do!

      Delete
  16. i am reading this now! i loved pemberley ranch.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Author Jack Caldwell here. Thanks for all the great comments and the wonderful review!

    Aurian - The story I wanted to tell is there on the pages. Using Austen's characters can be a shorthand way of writing what I'm trying to get across. In THE THREE COLONELS, it's all about the heroes who wear the uniform, and the loved ones left behind back home. If we didn't use Austen, we would have just made up new names. Writing is a disease (LOL!) -- we Have to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for your reply Jack, I do wish you good luck with the book, and I know there are many Jane Austen fans out there who will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do like more than just Lizzie and Darcy. Thanks for the recommendation B, my P&P variation fanatic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure love L and D but I also love the rest so that is fun :D

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP