Wednesday 13 March 2013

Review: The Blue-ribbon jalapeno society jubilee - Carolyn Brown


Everything is calm in Cadillac, Texas until Aunt Agnes declares war on Violet Prescott, the president of the Blue-Ribbon Jalapeno Society, just in time for the annual jubilee. But after the festivities—and the hostilities—are over, it's four friends who are left standing, proving once again that friendship is forever.

My thoughts:
This book is about 3 women (and so much more). A small town, gossip, a group and how everything falls apart.

First we have Trixie who had a cheating husband (she still fools around with him cos she can't resist him). She was nice, but yes dump that idiot and move on! Then we have the twins Cathy and Marty. They could not be more different. The quiet and the loud one. Cathy is set to marry a boring man with a horrid mother. Marty is free and outspoken. I liked them both, maybe Cathy more since we followed her road to finding what she wants.

And then we have their aunt Agnes, the horrid Violet (Cathy's future mother-in-law!) who wants to rule the town and the society they are a part of. Darla Jean, the former prostitute who turned preacher,  and that  X (I will not say it cos I am a lady *coughs*) Anna Ruth who stole away Trixie's husband. Quite the set of characters and all with their agendas and dreams.

A nice story to read. Though I would not want to live there, maybe visit cos they all sound so fun! But before that Violet needs to go ;)

Conclusion:
Drama, gossip, romance, secrets and most of all friendship.

Cover
Both Meh and ok

Pages: 321
Genre: I do not really know where to place it...women's fiction /contemporary romance, something
Published: March 1st 2013 by Sourcebooks Casablanca
Source. For review

39 comments:

  1. hmmm it can be interesting, maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting set of women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a fun book. I just need to find the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh. I don't think that I would want to live there either, but glad you enjoyed the book.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should try reading some Lorna Landvik, like Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons or Patty Jane's House of Curl. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I like the sound of those titles

      Delete
    2. You can find out more about Minnesota, too. :)

      Delete
    3. Minnesota, the place many immigrant from Finland went to cos it looked like home :) I'd like to learn more

      Delete
    4. Oh yes - one of my coworkers has a Finnish heritage. Lots of Scandanavian ancestry around here. (Although I'm German/Irish/English.)

      Delete
    5. And I am Swedish with a tiny mix of Belgian (maybe French since it was bordercountry) and surely some German. Finnish..hm, dunno, even after 500 years here ;)

      Delete
  6. Oh I think I would live there to eat at Clawdy;s but Violet needs to go first! Glad you enjoyed this as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Violet needs to go, she is not nice at all. But then those people are always around

      Delete
  7. Oh you make this one sound like so much fun. Although I'm not going there unless you are with me. I know it would be more fun with you and we will kick Violet out together. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes we will kick her out of town and then eat some good food and check out the hotties

      Delete
  8. This just cracks me up that Heidi, you and I all posted our review of this on the same day..LOL I think we all agree Brown spins a terrific tale with funny characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw yours and thought ok, then I saw Heidi's and considered delaying it one day but it just felt it was so amusing that I had to post it today

      Delete
  9. This sounds right up my alley, I enjoy drama, romance and small town settings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a good beach read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard so many great reviews of this today, I really want to pick it up! Violet sounds awful though! Great review :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know why we all picked this day to post, so strange

      Delete
  12. Ah, a book set in a small town...always a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A small town, gossip, a group and how everything falls apart.

    I like the 'falling apart' bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. could be a fun read when you're looking for something light!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a nice read, but not really my genre anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmm, just add a murder mystery to it, and you've got a cozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh you are right! Haha, I almost read a cozy then ;)

      Delete
  17. Sounds like a light, fun read!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP