Wednesday 27 March 2013

Review: A red sun also rises - Mark Hodder


My name is Aiden Fleischer. I was forced from my home, moved among the victims of Jack the Ripper, was tortured by a witch doctor, and awoke on another planet. Throughout it all, my assistant, Clarissa Stark, remained at my side.

On Ptallaya, we were welcomed by the Yatsill. The creatures transformed their society into a bizarre version of our own, and we found a new home beneath the world's twin suns. But there was darkness in my soul, and as the two yellow globes set, I was forced to confront it, for on Ptallaya...
A RED SUN ALSO RISES
... and with it comes an evil more horrifying than any on Earth.

My thoughts:
Now how to explain this book...I do not think I will able too. It's an adventure that you just have to read to truly get.

We have a hero and a heroine. Aiden, a priest who is not good at being a priest, and Clarissa, who is so smart but disfigured and therefore she has to beg for bread. But then she starts to work for Aiden, and they become friends and discuss religion among other things. This is a theme through out the book, what is good and evil? Anyway the weirdness has not even started, that starts when he becomes a missionary and we end up with this Alice in Wonderland kind of story. A freaky new world, complex and just really weird. Now I will tell you no more as the world needs to be explored on its own. And then you will come to realize things  as it evolves.

There is a lot I would like to say, but just think of two people put in a new world. A world that makes no sense at all, and take it from there. You will experience a world like no other.

Conclusion:
Also throw in some politics, philosophy, religion, and of course steampunk.

Cover
Cool

Genre. Steampunk /adventure / historical
Pages: 288
Published: January 2013 by del Rey
Source. for review

50 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hang in there! One day left..well for us anyway

      Delete
  2. Dang that is a lot to take in! Sounds very interesting though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. It was sure different, so very different

      Delete
  4. Intriguing premise, gorgeous cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the UK cover, the US is more..creepy lol

      Delete
  5. wow it sounds really complex, something to read when you're really awake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes I would not recommend reading it while sleepy, you have to have your wits with ya

      Delete
  6. Perhaps it is just taking on too much? Still, it does sound like an interesting world. Hm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not say that, cos when I start to think it, a revelation comes and I am all aha, nicely done!

      Delete
  7. Wow. It would be interesting to see how the author made all that work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hihi, I can't tell, to say even one thing is to spoil it all, but it does it quite masterfully

      Delete
  8. The synopsis sounds very interesting but I am not sure! I can't decide from your review if it is a highly recommend or a maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. `Haha, trust me I am all confused by reading it. I do not think it's a book that will fit everyone. Some might not like all the strangeness or the way it's written. You have to take a leap of faith

      Delete
  9. Interesting...I've never read steampunk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've missed this one coming out. Sounds interesting. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The US cover has a creepy looking..thing on it

      Delete
  11. I have yet to experience steampunk...I will soon though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still nothing? You need to jump on the train

      Delete
  12. I'm not one for steampunk, this does sound intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was different from the steampunk I have read before

      Delete
  13. Seems like a world I would like, plus add in the steampunk and I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth be told I would not wanna go there ;)

      Delete
  14. So, yay or nay, Blodeueddd? Because Hodder is on my wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's see...you do read strange books so I would say yay

      Delete
  15. wow, this sounds different and you have me curious about falling down the rabbit hole!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Falling down the rabbit hole and thinking you have fallen into hell ;)

      Delete
  16. Very intriguing.
    fyi...I kept humming, 'A Whole New World' while I was thinking on what to say for this comment. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a soft spot for disfigured/damaged/scarred characters, so I'm already rooting for Clarissa! Sounds like a truly unique world too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was awesome, so smart, but sadly thrown out on her own :/

      Delete
  18. This one sounds really good and I love that cover!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the title, but other than that it just doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't think this one is for me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now this one sounds like fun, yep going on my wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow that description is all over the place—Jack the Ripper, witch doctors, new planets. I can see why it would be hard to describe, just something you need to experience for yourself. It sounds like you enjoyed it, so I definitely need to give it a try. This is just weird enough for me to be totally intrigued. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just..yup all over the place. Some books just can't be described, they are crazy in a good way

      Delete
  23. You've made me curious about this one!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP