Friday 22 March 2013

Review: Dark Haven - Gail Z Martin


In Dark Haven, the effects of Jared the Usurper’s reign of terror strike at the stability of the Winter Kingdoms. Undead forces align against Lord Jonmarc Vahanian of Dark Haven in a struggle for power between mortals and the vayash moru. Some among the vayash moru are unhappy that a mortal lord is returning to Dark Haven. 

Jonmarc must win the trust of Dark Haven’s mortal residents while playing a dangerous game of politics with its vayash moru. As everyone keeps reminding him, the last four lords died young. Throughout the Winter Kingdoms, magic has become a dangerous and unpredictable force.

My thoughts:
It was good, but I just feels that it's so light and simple, almost YA like. Sorry YA, I know you can be dark and all that. But, yes but there is a simplicity over this series. Even when someone is dying it's just light. And I am not saying I need bloody and complicated fantasy. I just want it to feel a bit more ...mature. iI feels too YA. 

Our young king and queen worry over the state of the land (is that what makes sound so YA, cos they are young? It hould not be like that). Dark Haven a new lord and some of the "vampires" are not happy. A idiotic lord is trying to sow doubt and cause war. We have conspiracies, war, battles and romantic feelings.

As the book has that simple feel it reads fast and I do want to know what happens next. I fear I will get very angry and hope everyone in the kingdom dies. People are always so stupid when they are scared.

Conclusion:
If you are looking for an easy epic series then this is for you.

Cover
I like it

Series: Chronicles of the Necromancer #3
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 606
Published: 2009 by Solaris
Source own

39 comments:

  1. Maybe it's just me, but his face looks poorly photoshopped into that cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking I might like this series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The summary and cover imply that it's darker - oh well. I like to actually be worried and caught up in the consequences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's just me, maybe modern fantasy has destroyed me. But then again I love the old school stuff too. This was just...simple

      Delete
  4. It sounds good and I would have thought it would be darker. But it's YA like? hmm, that may not be a good thing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole concept feels very simplistic and like they are all on a YA adventure

      Delete
  5. A fast read at 600 pages... well that it saying something. What? No epic dying speeches? I finally got the feed fixed on Blog Lovin so it is good to go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY :D Good. Dunno what was up with that.

      Haha, no no epic speeches

      Delete
  6. People do get stupid when they're scared - have to agree with that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very stupid, but at least it gives us drama

      Delete
  7. hmm strange when we see the cover we don't think YA... but well it happends. I read once a YA book and I didn't understand why the author chose this genre because it wasn't one for me at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not YA. This is just me mumbling that it felt like YA.

      Delete
  8. You read a YA? ;)

    I do know what you mean... sometimes they are afraid of being too dark when going YA. Hm... does sound good and I wouldn't have thought YA with that cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope it's adult, it just felt very YA for some reason.

      And I mean people die, horrid deaths, still it just felt YA

      Delete
  9. wow..the cover looks high fantasy..but it reads like a YA fantasy..big difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's just me, someone else needs to read it too

      Delete
  10. I may actually like this one if it is a light read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well to know that I am weird so it might not be as light for you, lol

      Delete
  11. Hmmm..this might be what I need to get started in this genre, but it is frustrating when a book reads like a YA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked book 1, simple, but nice, but then it grew old

      Delete
  12. Not my kind of series, but the cover is interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel like I should skip this series, Blodeuedd. I really am not the one for simplistic fantasy. No one who grew up with Martin and Jordan is. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Jordan, yes I would never call that simple

      Delete
  14. I've got the feeling you are going to read some bloody mature fantasy book soon...

    ReplyDelete
  15. YA? I have to be in a certain mood.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I tend to read a lot of YA, so maybe this one would work for me :-) I do like that cover, and it's very promising that it flew by for you at 600 + pages, and it's great you're invested enough to see what happens next. I'll have to check this one out! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just very weird, lol. But yes the pages flew by, just like that. Always a good things

      Delete
  17. I like the cover too and thought it would be much darker than YA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it tried to be dark, but was just too nice about it

      Delete
  18. Hmm, light. Wow. I do want to get to these, but thanks for telling me they are a lighter read in fantasy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Light and easy, well that can be good too and I will read the last one

      Delete
  19. meh, but your comment about hoping everyone in the kingdom dies made me laugh

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP