Monday 11 March 2013

Reviews: Shadows and strongholds - Elizabeth Chadwick


Nothing worthwhile is easy. Not becoming a knight. Not when you don't fit in anywhere.

Brunin Fitzwarin knows this better than anyone. Lost in his own home, he's now a knight-in-training to the Lord of Ludlow—and still utterly alone. That is, until the youngest daughter of the house befriends him.

But England is in turmoil, and Brunin must fight with his lord to support King Stephen for the English crown.

As the war rages on and his particularly close to home, Brunin must defeat the shadows of his childhood and take on the mantle of knight, confronting the future head on.

A rich tale of coming of age in a world where chivalry is a luxury few can afford. Shadows and Strongholds is a tale of earning your place and finding your way home.

My thoughts:
I do love Chadwick's books. There is just this feel to them. They even make me want to live in that age. Even if I totally would have been dead by now.

This on is about Brunin FitzWarin, another character found in the mists of time. He was sent away for fostering, grew up and married the daughter of the house. But the story has more to tell than that. There is the shaky ground his family sits on regarding their lands. And the same thing is true about the de Dinan family. There is always someone else who has claim. And of course the beginning of the book also shows the power struggle for the English throne.

And midst all that we have a boy growing up, he is made to be unsure of himself (he did not have the easiest time at home). But he grows into a strong and sensible young man. Hawise de Dinan is a nice heroine, strong, but willful. There is also some rivalry between her and her foster sister (who I wanted to smack, that idiot!). I like the way she portrays daily life, because even when there was war and campaigns life went on. It was a rough life, but interesting to read about.

Conclusion:
What more can I say than this was another Chadwick win for me.

Cover
Nice

Series:
Pages: 544
Genre: Historical fiction
Published: March 5th 2013 by Sourcebooks Casablanca
Source: for review

40 comments:

  1. YEAH! I could never live in that time--I would so die within a week. I would do something stupid and probably get hanged (I do have to many opinions for a woman LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I read one that if your pinky is a bit crooked then you are a witch, so yes burned at the stake here I come

      Delete
  2. the sisterly rivalry sounds interesting. I had to stop reading her books, they became too violent, etc for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked it but well I don't know... it doesn't seem to be for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But then I do love historical fiction :D

      Delete
  4. There's an awful lot of exposed shoulder/neck... kinda crappy armor on that cover. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, maybe he could not afford any more ;)

      Delete
  5. I would be terrified to live in that time period so many senseless executions. I just read that in Firebrand, which I think you need to read. I have been wanting to read a Chadwick book and now you have just reminded me to do so ASAP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes you need to read one, I have loved her books for ages! I still remember my first one and I was in love (I was also too young for adult books, but I never did care, haha)

      Delete
  6. Chadwick=Blodeuedd. Seriously, that is what I associate this author... you! :D I so need to pick up her books. I have at least one in my tbr because of you... just need the time. So glad this was another win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do? Yay, that did make me happy :) She is my fav historical author and yes have reviewed..a lot of her ;) books by her here

      Delete
  7. Glad to hear you liked this! I have this but haven't read it yet but I've loved all the books I've read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is so good, and even if this is an older one, she is just so good

      Delete
  8. I've only read one Chadwick book but remember loving it. SHe definitely knows what she's doing, and like you I love good historical fiction :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And as I have read those from long ago too, well she just got better and better

      Delete
  9. Sometimes Chadwick is a hit sometimes a miss in my case. This one sounds nice but you'll never know...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always enjoyed her books. This one sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to try Chadwick, if he can make you live without running water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, running water, oh man but at least the water outside was a tad bit cleaner than now

      Delete
  12. I have a thing for Knights so I'm headed to Goodreads to add this right now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's terrible that I've never read a Chadwick! The blurb and your review make me want to run out and read this right now (hey, I might just do that!). And I quite like the cover, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is good ;)
      And do try Chadwick! She is so good and will suck you right in

      Delete
  14. I love Chadwick's books. Glad to hear this one was a winner too. I just noticed that the pinky on my left hand is slightly crooked - eek! I would have been burned at the stake with you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's a wonder anyone survived. I mean honestly, the most stupid things

      Delete
  15. I would never survive in that time, but I do love reading about it! :-)

    This one sounds fantastic, and I've never read a Chadwick. I definitely need to add this one to my TBR. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try a book by her, she is awesome and I have loved her books for ages.

      She really made me love historical fiction

      Delete
  16. Chadwick is amazing. This sounds awesome...I'll have to check it out if I don't win it first. Bahahahaha.
    Great review of course!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds good Blodeuedd, I will read it if I come across the book somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been previously published so you might

      Delete
  18. Great review, I haven't read a Chadwick I haven't loved yet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I want to read this book! Good luck to me in the giveaway ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds fantastic. I have one of her novels on my Nook and I can't wait to get to it.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP