Tuesday 9 February 2016

Ancillary justice - Ann Leckie

On a remote, icy planet, the soldier known as Breq is drawing closer to completing her quest. Once, she was the Justice of Toren - a colossal starship with an artificial intelligence linking thousands of soldiers in the service of the Radch, the empire that conquered the galaxy. Now, an act of treachery has ripped it all away, leaving her with one fragile human body, unanswered questions, and a burning desire for vengeance. 

My thoughts:
I am gonna be totally honest here. I was lost for like the first 100 pages. My brain was one big ? I had no idea what I was reading. And when I finished I was still a bit ?!?!?.But the book was still so good, so even though I was lost in a cloud of confusion I could still not put it down. Weird...so weird.

I am just gonna simplify the shit out of things so my brain can keep track even years after so I know wtf I am talking about.

Ok, we have a spaceship. We have lots of bodies, I forgot, all dead or not? Anyway The AI in the ship is in all of them. So like zombie army walking around all linked to the ship. All doing their own thing, all being everywhere. Oh, like the Borg? Let's say that brain. 

And that is why the book is so bloody confusing. First we have the wtf are these things? Then there is the whole aspect of one zombie drone talking to someone, while another one is talking far away to someone else. Not to mention that the ship thinks of everyone as She. So I feel like the entire universe is female. Good for us, but yes I see someone as female, later see they are male, but still talked about as female.

But then I got the hang of things..sort of. We see "Breq" 20 years before and now when she has saved someone frozen for 1000 years. And Breq is what is left of the ship.

And then there is some kind of "evil" ruler who also has lots of bodies, whaaat? Nooo, more confusion..you will see.

Conclusion:
But damn the book was good, if I hadn't been so confused it would have been a 4. But even in my confusion I never wanted to put it down.

cover
meh

Paperback, 386 pages
Published October 1st 2013 by Orbit
Imperial Radch #1
Sci.fi
Library

33 comments:

  1. Being completely lost and yet not being able to put the book down is a very good sign, I'll have to look it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is strange how that can work sometimes isn't it? Glad you still liked this despite all the confusion and questions you still had after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So strange. I was all whaat? But at the same time, can't pout this down!

      Delete
  3. Hmm... it sounds like a read I might like even if it is confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um.. sounds a very odd book so ultimately one ship and a frozen body!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had to laugh, I've read some of those books where I'm like what the heck is going on before :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least you enjoyed it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not for me, but I am curious over that evil overlord!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, me too! I was pretty lost for the first half of the book. I definitely don't love this one as much as others, but I had a good time. It was a slow developing book.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it, but I do think I could really have liked it if I had not been so confused

      Delete
  9. I've seen this cover before. I wasn't sure if it was for me. But dang, you have me curious now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That really sounds like a confusing book :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Huh, that is an interesting reader situation. You do have me interested to give it a go and experience this riveting confusion for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL! I've had books, especially in this genre, that start out kind of confusing, but I've learned to just roll with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not a spaceship fan, not at all but it's funny to see your feeling about this one

    ReplyDelete
  14. *waves* Sorry for the late comment. ;) School is kicking my butttttttttt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep, I only figured it out in the last part of the book. It was very confusing. Not sure if I continue with the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the library get book 2 and they did ;)

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP