Friday 8 July 2011

Book Review: In the Heat of the Bite - Lydia Dare

Series: Regency Vampyre 2
Genre: Historical paranormal romance
Pages: 384
Published: July 1st 2011 Sourcebooks Casablanca

Matthew Halkett, Earl of Blodswell, is one of the few men in the ton who can claim to be a knight in shining armor- because that's precisely what he was before being turned into a vampyre. When he spies a damsel in distress in the midst of a storm in Hyde Park, his natural instinct is to rush to her aid...

Weather-controlling witch Rhiannon Sinclair isn't caught in a storm-she's the cause of it. She's mortified to have been caught making trouble by the imposing earl, but she doesn't need any man-never has, and is sure she never will. But when Rhiannon encounters Matthew again, her powers go awry and his supernatural abilities run amok. Between the two of them, the ton is thrown into an uproar. There's never been a more tempestuous scandal.

My thoughts:
This book is a part of a series but you can read it as a standalone. But if you really want to dive into this world then I recommend the 4 Westfield Wolves books first to get to know our dear lycans and witches. But this series of course belong to the vampires.

Matthew Halkett is old, he has seen it all. He is this steady figure of reason and at the same time one tempting delicious vampire. I am drawn to him as a moth to a flame and much of has to do with how fast he falls for Rhiannon. Sure he has doubts but then he is a vampire who will live forever, while she is an innocent who will not. Oh yes Rhiannon, a Scottish witch with a temper. She can command thunder and lightning and sure does when she gets angry. And she is not afraid of a vampire when she has that at her command.

This world is lovely and cosy somehow. I already know the Lycans  (love them) and in this book we meet more. I sure hope Dare writes their story too because they are a fun bunch. The witches are fun and now when Rhiannon has found her man there is only Sorcha left and I can't wait for her story..and, oh just read the blurb. The vampires are a great addition to this world and I really enjoyed the banter between Matthew and the 4 Lycans he came across more times than he wanted. There is nothing like a brood of werewolves telling a vampire to back down ;)

The book has got a bit of humour, great friendships and passion. I did like how Matthew tried his best to be the perfect gentleman. Just a reason to like him even more.

Conclusion:
Lydia Dare does not disappoint. She (well they do) does it again and gives me a book that I read and time just disappears. There is always something that makes me want to read the next page and on. It kept me entertained and I read it in a heartbeat.

Rating.
Good
Cover:
ok

----------------------

My Flash fiction for this week


32 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm sure I've heard of the wolves series from you before but I'm not sure I wrote it down on my TBR list. I'm going to have to go check out that series and see if this is something I want to read. Thanks for sharing. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting sounding book - not sure if I've read many historical supernatural romances like this! Plus it's set in London which is always a bonus for a londoner like myself - as long as the details are right! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read her other series about the lycans and really enjoyed that one, I didn't realize she had a vampire series too:) Thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got Lydia Dare's Scottish werewolf series to start -- I'm saving it for October -- I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, a werewolf romance sounding book. I think I like the sounds of this series. It's new to me but sounds very good. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm...a witch and a vamp - what a delicious combination.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the review! I have never had a good experience with vampire novels except few, but I will consider reading this one. I might actually end up enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just what I need, another series to read. But you make it so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the title of this book - so witty! Sounds like a really fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhhhh! The Regency Vampyres! I've been hearing a lot about them. The world building sounds fascinating, so I will definitely take your recommendation to read the Were/witch books first.

    And, Matthew definitely seems very swoon worthy. :[

    P.S. Team Vampire!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay Blodeuedd, you got me. I want to read this author!

    ReplyDelete
  12. First I have to say I love the dragon lady's story. It took courage to go the other way. I wanna know more!!!

    The Lydia Dare books look like a series I need to read. Looks like I would enjoy all the characters. Yep.. another one for the wishlist!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This does sound good. You are bad for my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This doesn't sound right , you are good for my TBR list this time, thank you very much I will steer clear of this author and these books...but London could be an asset...but not with heat and bite in the title. No thanks. Definitely not.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohh... I like Matthew already! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds just like the books I love to escape with! Pure Paranormal Romance and Historical to boot!

    I want to start this series! I usually only read YA PNR/UF for my blog but I need some 'Big Girl' books!

    Excellent review! I'm going to start with the first in the series and work my way up! Thanks so much!

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Deanna
    I have written about them yes :D Though did we know each other then? Hm..when was the last wolf book...


    @Mel
    I can't say anything since I do not know much about London. But must be so fun to be able to red about your own city


    @Jenny
    Oh yes :D Book 1 came in...April? The rest of the witches needed men too ;)


    @Audra
    I hope you have a fun October then

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Melissa
    Well werewolf romance in the first 4 books and now 3 books with vampire romance ;D


    @Diana
    I know. He wants her blood and she can zap him with lightning


    @Happy Friday Chris!


    @Misha
    I did hit a low where I was all vamps, no thank you! But I am back now and enjoying to read about them once more

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Carol
    Lol, yes that is exactly what you need


    @Amused
    I do like a witty title :D


    @Missie
    Haha team vampire!!! I did love weres at one time but those vamps have one me over again


    @Aurian
    Hihi, yay :D


    @Melissa
    Good :D I did you see, I tried to be all nice. made her walk away...but what she will do next, oh need to think about that.

    I do hope you have a look at them

    ReplyDelete
  20. Vivienne
    I know ;) Blogging sure made me spend more money


    Ana
    Haha, oh you ;) Yes there is a lot of fluffy stuff going on in this one. He falls instantly in love and lust. She wants him to take he blood cos he is feeling a bit hungry. it is a love party


    Cherry
    He was the best! :D


    Kristi
    Hi there :D
    I know, PNR and HR, two things I love. Lol, well if you need big girl books you are at the right place. I have them here, but not too big girl books. More nice girl books :=)

    ReplyDelete
  21. So I guess in this world everyone knows about the supernatural creatures? It's not everyday that I see a vampire who is also a Earl in a book.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jenny
    Oh no, nobody knows. I guess there are not many of them around and there are like 5 witches only..perhaps

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ah, witches, vampyres, and Lycans and Regency England! Sounds like a bit of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This genre sounds like something I'd enjoy. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  25. i'm reading this now!! i've only read the other vampire book, not the werewolf ones, but I like this one so much better than the other one.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I thought the same things about this one..I'm ready for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Steph
    It sure has everything and you just gotta love that.

    naida
    It does combine two things I really enjoy

    Carrie
    It is better :D I think it is all Matthew, lol, but then I like the heroine better too

    Staci
    I am too :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Is this sorta like the black dagger series?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Liz
    Oh nothing like it. That is all fighting and sex. This is more romance..and more romance

    ReplyDelete
  30. Blodeuedd,

    Thank you so much for the wonderful review. You've always been so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You are welcome Lydia :D
    I can't wait for the next story and what else is coming

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP