Saturday 9 July 2011

Review: Three Sisters - Helen Smith

Series: The Emily Castles mysteries 1
Genre: Cozy mystery
Pages: Short story, Ebook, 42
Published: 2011
Review by Lis

It's bonfire night in London. Emily has been invited to a party in the big house at the end of her street by the new owners, whom she has never met. Emily's dog Jessie has recently died so Emily is feeling a little raw and emtional. How could she know, as she left her house that evening, that she was making an appointment with death?

..........................

Alright, as a rule I don’t like short stories. They usually leave a lot lacking and give you the bare minimum, but Helen Smith’s Three Sisters fell straight into the likeable category. While short, it has it all: a mystery, a likeable main character and humorous elements to keep the mystery light.

Emily is still sad about the death of her dog Jessie, who she understandably misses a lot. So in an effort to cheer herself up, she goes to a Halloween party she’s invited too. However, nothing goes quite as she’s hoped. She’s witness to a murder but there’s no body, and the hosts are more like performing artists. In fact the part is more like a Murder Mystery night… or is it? And no, it’s not the butler ;-) 

The story is fast paced – it has to be since it’s so short. A lot happens in those 70 pages and you have to keep your head in the game. The characters are fun, but sometimes a little of the top. 

I would have liked to have seen more of Emily and get to know her a little more apart from Emily the woman who just lost her beloved dog. 

Three Sisters is a good solid story with a fun mystery. It’s not as humorous as the description would like you to believe as it has a bit of a dark tone – but you have to like that. 

All in all, I can really recommend Three Sisters as a short cozy read if you like a good mystery. 



29 comments:

  1. I found Three Sisters to be quite an entertaining read. However, I also wish that we had got to know Emily a bit more. She seemed quite a mystery to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great review, Lis and a short story I would like to read, although I fully agree with you that generally short stories end way too early and are a bit simplistic. BTW I love the cover!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good and what a cute cover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review. I miss bonfire night in England which was always celebrated with hot soup, sausages and an umbrella.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this one and enjoyed it very much, but I just wish it were longer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to look for it because I usually feel the same way about short stories as you. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How can you not like this book - that doggie on the cover! Awww.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like a nice, short mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's like the Clue board game...I used to play that with my sisters when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh couldn't do it. I'd just cry about the dog being gone. Especially with that cover. However, great review. Sounds like it was worth the short read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm also not a big fan of short stories, but somethimes they do deliver! ;) This sounds like a great, little mystery book. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Lis for the review :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Misha
    Good to hear that is is entertaining :)

    Ana
    Lol, you do?I think it is horrid, but then I am very evil

    Bermuda
    :)

    Cozy
    That sounds wonderful indeed. I would love to go to one

    Yvonne
    As the case often are with short stories :/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary
    I do often feel that short is just too short, but sometimes it works :)

    Steph
    Hm..I fear I am surrounded by doglovers

    Naida
    Seems that way :)

    Jenny
    I played that recently for the first time and it was so fun

    Melissa
    Poor doggie :(

    Nina
    They sure do that some times :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like you Lis, I don't usually read short stories. I guess I've read too many with not enough room for proper world building and such... but then again, not all of them. Sometimes I do come across a gem or two... this book sounds like one of them :) Thank you for sharing your views!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awww look at that little face! I usually have trouble with short stories too for just the reasons you listed, but I love when one surprises me with its depth:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love short stories. And I am intrigued by this one.
    I have really liked Jhumpa Lahiri's Unaccustomed Earth ( a collection of short stories), I hope you try it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cherry
    :)

    Jenny
    Oh yes seems everyone here loves the dog :)

    Carrie
    More dogloving...ok fine he is cute *gives in* ;)

    Staci
    :)

    Veens
    I have seen that one at the library and the author is on my I want to read list

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am one of the few who enjoy a good short! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like a fun read. And I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Liz
    Well there has to be people who like short stories too :D

    Ryan :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds like it might be good although I'm not sure I could get past the sadness of the dog passing yet. I've been avoiding all those kinds of things.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Darlene
    I know :/ Not a good book when you have lost someone

    ReplyDelete
  24. This sounds like a nice little mystery, perfect for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Two things sold me on on this book, your review and the book cover. I love animals so the dog is really working for me and then the review about a mystery that takes place that is actually entertaining in only 42 pages...heck yeah, I've got to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Deanna
    Lol, read it and tell me what you think :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP