Tuesday 5 July 2011

Review: Dead Iron - Devon Monk

Series: Age of Steam 1
Genre: Steampunk
Pages: 352
Published: July 5th 2011

Welcome to a new America that is built on blood, sweat, and gears...  
In steam age America, men, monsters, machines, and magic battle for the same scrap of earth and sky. In this chaos, bounty hunter Cedar Hunt rides, cursed by lycanthropy and carrying the guilt of his brother's death. Then he's offered hope that his brother may yet survive. All he has to do is find the Holder: a powerful device created by mad devisers-and now in the hands of an ancient Strange who was banished to walk this Earth.  In a land shaped by magic, steam, and iron, where the only things a man can count on are his guns, gears, and grit, Cedar will have to depend on all three if he's going to save his brother and reclaim his soul once and for all..
My thoughts:
Steampunk Western, could it be more fun, I think not ;) What other can I say than that steampunk fits really well there.

In this America we meet Cedar Hunt, he is cursed to become a wolf during the moon and then he hunts the Strange. Most folks do not believe in the Strange, but they are out there causing mischief.  They are those things you only have nightmares about and then try to forget, and they follow the railway across the land. Cedar is a very conflicted man who hates his curse and he does not spend a lot of time around other people. But then I always did like mysterious brooding men.

The book is about a missing child. A man who wants revenge and is willing to kill many for it. A mysterious device that has been turned dark. A witch looking for her husband. A young woman who is a bit strange. 3 brothers mining the mountains and dark things that go bump in the night. All these things and people are connected and form the story. And in the middle we have Cedar who just wants to lift his curse and mourn his brother. It turns into a great story but I shall not tell you all. Bit by bit things fall into place as we learn who the bad guy is and what he wants and why everyone is connected. It is like those matics they build in this world, piece by piece. It is a land of steam in the end. Steam and magic together even if most do not believe in the latter.

I like how she mixed all these things. Old magic, new technology pieced together and the Wild West. It just seems to come together so nicely and I do like my steampunk world with a bit of magic and beings from tales of old.

Conclusion:
A good start to this steampunk series. And it did make me wonder what is coming next. Now I can't go and spoil things for you so I will not say anything more. But I do wonder ;) I enjoyed it and I will be interested to see what she comes up with next for Cedar.

Rating:
Good

Cover. 
Cool

Source: Author

40 comments:

  1. Tori liked this one too...the premise definitely intrigues me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of this one! Steampunk is a genre that's really growing on me, it was a lot to take in at first with all the unfamiliar and fantastical elements, but I love it now:) Thanks for putting this one on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any steampunk yet, this book sounds like a good place to start ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks totally fun! I'm definitely looking for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I liked steam punk, but I just don't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Sounds like so much is happening in this book. Steampunk and werewolves and witches. I'm overwhelmed already. LOL

    Glad to know the mix works well. Thanks for the review. Ever since seeing the cool cover, I'd been curious about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all these elements mixed together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice review Blodeuedd, but certainly not a book for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw.. you should have evil laughed at our curiosity. I would never do that... *cough*

    Anyhoo... Oh I have wanted to read this one so much!!! I'm jelly that you got to it before me. Love the review. I needs it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great review which made me want this one badly. I love steampunk and I don't know why but I have a theory! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the idea of steampunk in America - usually steampunk is set in London so I love the idea of exploring the world more! Plus werewolves and witches? I'm there! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Mandi
    it was fun :) So glad that I got to read this one. yay for Devon Monk


    @jenny
    And I am getting more and more into it. it is such a fun subgenre just cos of all it has to offer


    @Cherry
    You really should try some steampunk then

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Audra
    I hope you'll enjoy it then :D


    @Vivienne
    Oh :/ Well one can't love all genres :)


    @Missie
    The cover was what made me curious too. So great. And yes it seems like there is a lot going on but...oh I can't say

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Alyssa
    It was such a good mix


    @Aurian
    Thanks :)


    @Melissa
    Oh the evil laugh! I totally forgot. Lol
    I was so lucky to see Devon ask for reviewers on her blog and well yes of course I said I would love to at once

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Ana
    Oh a theory...please tell :D

    @Mel
    I know, that is where the stuff I have read has been located so this felt fresh and fun. And hihi, yup witches and weres

    ReplyDelete
  16. Are you on a steampunk roll?

    ReplyDelete
  17. B,

    Glad you enjoyed this one. I am looking forward to the next installment. :)

    M

    ReplyDelete
  18. What could be stranger than a werewolf? I shudder to think. I like the mixing of the steampunk and paranormal genres.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't read any of Monk's other books but this sounds like a good one. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed it and I hope I'll find a way to get a hold of it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  20. drool, i plan on reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have a feeling that I might be the only blogger who hasn't read the Steampunk genre yet.

    Like you, I have a thing for mysterious brooding men - can't explain why. Old magic and the wild west sound like a great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, how I love Steampunk! This one sounds like a lot of fun, and I'm definitely going to have to add it to my TBR. Fab review :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think my son would really like this genre for sure!! Reminds of Wild, Wild West with Will Smith!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've only read a few steampunk books. My first was White Chapel Gods. Loved it. I should read more of it. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like there's a lot of things going on but I love how the different plotlines all tie together.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ohhh this sounds good! I think i'd like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Ana
    Oh a theory...please tell :D


    Nuh huh...no way. It is too shameful...

    ReplyDelete
  28. I also found that steampunk worked well in this setting. And the characters were all well done. Good to see you liked this one! And the cover is great. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Chris
    Seems that way ;) But now I have nothing before me


    @Michelle
    I do wonder what happens there...and if he gets some loving lol


    @Steph
    It mixes really well and I always end up liking the result


    @Simcha
    It was fun :D I did read book 1 in her UF series but I did like this book more

    ReplyDelete
  30. @VV
    I hope you like it!


    @Misha
    Lol, now come one, you are not the only one. I would surely not have been reading it either if I had not found and loved Soulless.

    Those men, aye they are just the best



    @melissa
    Oh yay, I do think you could enjoy it


    @Staci
    Lol, I do think so too. Honestly, a great books for guys

    ReplyDelete
  31. @Ryan
    Hm...must go and investigate that book at once now


    @Jenny
    it sure seems that way but it is never cluttered cos they are all the same plot


    @Caro
    he was so hunky *le happy sigh*


    @Julie
    The cover is the best part ;) Lol, no but it sure looks great

    ReplyDelete
  32. @Ana
    Come one amiga, do tell me about the shameful revelation

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've been drawn to Western mysteries lately, but Western steampunk. Sounds like one I need to pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Here is the next big book hitting the scenes. Everyone has been reviewing it and I've been seeing so many mixed reviews...I'm just not sold on reading it yet. I think it's because I'm apprehensive when it comes to Steampunk because I don't think I've ever read the genre and have no clue what to expect...great review and I'm happy you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Carol
    Western mysteries, sounds interesting and yes western steampunk... you should have a look ;)


    Deanna
    As a newbie I would say go for the humour with Carriger's Soulless and then read The Iron Duke since it is darker and then moves on over to this western one :D Doing that you have first read humour, then romance and then this

    ReplyDelete
  36. i agree! steampunk western sounds perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Steampunk Western? Youve peaked my interest!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Carrie
    Doesn't it?! :D

    Naida
    Lol, it was a fun mix to be sure

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have this one on my WANT list. It sounded soooo good. And a good start to a series. I don't think I'll get it soon as my shelves are starting to bow with the books I need to read. ;D But I might have to check it out in the future. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  40. melissa
    tell me about it. Dunno why I keep starting so many new series when I got plenty to read ;)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP