Sunday 14 September 2014

Carole Reviews: Madame Picasso - Anne Girard

Author: Anne Girard
Title: Madame Picasso
Genre: Historical Fiction, 
Pages: 432
First Published: Janurary 2014
Where I Got It: Given to me by the publisher/author for my honest and unbiased opinion.

"The mesmerizing and untold story of Eva Gouel, the unforgettable woman who stole the heart of the greatest artist of our time. 



When Eva Gouel moves to Paris from the countryside, she is full of ambition and dreams of stardom. Though young and inexperienced, she manages to find work as a costumer at the famous Moulin Rouge, and it is here that she first catches the attention of Pablo Picasso, a rising star in the art world.

A brilliant but eccentric artist, Picasso sets his sights on Eva, and Eva can't help but be drawn into his web. But what starts as a torrid affair soon evolves into what will become the first great love of Picasso's life. 

With sparkling insight and passion, Madame Picasso introduces us to a dazzling heroine, taking us from the salon of Gertrude Stein to the glamorous Moulin Rouge and inside the studio and heart of one of the most enigmatic and iconic artists of the twentieth century."


Where do I even begin?

The characters where greatly done! I loved Picasso even though he was a total rogue at the very beginning. I honestly didn't know much about the man behind the art. I knew he was from Spain and he had a few lovers. That was about it. While reading, I did some of my own research on the characters, because it made me curious. I love when Historical Fictions based on real people make me want to learn more!! 


Ugh Fernande annoyed me. She was a spoiled rotten woman who took advantage of Pablo's love and money. Def his money. *shakes my head* The whole cheating on him didn't bug me much, because he was just as bad with the cheating. It was a "game" to them, but one that he grew tired of, because he just wanted a simple love. Which is where Eva comes in. It was insta-lust. It took a little bit of time for Pablo to actually love her. Yes, he was a lusty man, but then he realized Eva could offer him a true love that Fernande had lost when money and fame came into the picture. 


I did feel bad for Louis, because he loved her too, but he made me mad when he did two horrible things and hurt Eva (I will not say). The rest of he cast was also good. A lot of characters, but Anne Girard did a wonderful job balancing them and making them seem real and 3D. 

The beginning was a little slow, but once a certain event happens between Pablo and Eva the drama begins to unfold and the book became hard to put down! It took a long time for the two to get together, but it was totally worth it - even with the ending. Sighs. I was really mad, but you can't change the past! It is a true-ish story (not a lot is known about Eva and his love story). So sad, so sad. I was a little peeved with Pablo at one point near the end, because he was being self-centered and pitying himself. Not the time...Eva needs you. >_> However, everyone has flaws. 

In the end, this was a really fun adventure! I learned so much from the book and from my own research on the characters! The beginning was a wee bit slow, but once you hit a certain event the drama begins! I would recommend this for those that like historical fiction and/or for those that like Pablo and his art or art in general. Out of five stars I shall stamp this with 4 stars. 


Favorite Character(s):  Eva, Sylvette, Pablo, and Charlotte

Not-so Favorite Character(s): Fernande (>__>)





28 comments:

  1. I like historical fiction when it's about real people so this sounds good to me. I'll have to remember that it starts out slow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Real people and this is such a flamboyant character that it has Tia be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this movie a long time ago about Picasso and I think he was played by Anthony Hopkins. I think this book and that story shares the same time frame because I remember the ladies you mentioned vaguely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh. I'll have to check it out! Especially if its Anthony Hopkins. I do adore him.

      Delete
  4. Not a genre I normally read, but your review has me interested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, Picasso had so many women, conquests. ».« Oh well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a good looking guy with talent...so I guess I can't blame him?

      Delete
  6. I've seen a couple great reviews for this one this week. Might have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's interesting and different but I don't think it's for me...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could definitely see how reading a book that's loosely based on Picasso would make you want to learn more about the man himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books like these always makes me curious. :)

      Delete
  9. I'm going to recommend this one to my mom, she is a HUGE Picasso fan so I think she'd enjoy this take on him:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor Picasso. Such a talented man.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What I coincidence, today I was wondering about this book. I'm so glad your review it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D That is kinda funny. Maybe its meant to be ;D

      Delete
  12. I would never have picked this up, because I am generally not that interested in Picasso. You changed my mind. =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed this book too! Yes, yes. Fernande was soo annoying.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP